Boredom During FNCs

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Ally
Zone 1

Boredom During FNCs

Post by Ally »

Is this an issue during challenge attempts?

I'll be attempting my first FNC soon (later this month?) and from past accounts (incl. Geoff's Youtube videos) it looks pretty intense throughout with not much room for boredom. Between changing door positions, worrying about the next interchange and meeting up with support runners, are there ever long periods of time where you wish you'd brought a book?

Perhaps that time is better used for napping. What are your experiences?
1 attempt

PB: 252 stations
jamesthegill
All Zones

Re: Boredom During FNCs

Post by jamesthegill »

It's been a while since I did an FNC, but there wasn't much dwell time. You're constantly preparing for the next change, checking times, or rewriting routes. The only dead time I remember was a long stretch of the Central line, and there were enough papers on the train to distract.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Agreed, not much time to feel bored, unless you are on one line end to end. Finishing on the Piccadilly all the way from Cockfosters can be gruelling as you are knackered and bored! As James says, the Metro is usually sufficient. You don't need the extra weight of a book.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

I seem to remember Geoff stating on one of his FNC videos that it was a helpful he had something to do, I.e. collecting his evidence for Guinness

This is one reason why I'm doing a logbook for mine, so I don't get bored and it will help the concentration at 10-11 o'clock at night
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
andytube
Zone 2

Post by andytube »

I didn't get bored when doing the FNC. Day passed very quickly.

It was only the last 2 hours when doing the north west section with longer turnaround/waiting times and much quieter trains that I could have done with some company.
Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I can't recall ever being bored during any of the dozen or so FNC attempts that I made. However all of these were as part of a team or at least two people, so there was always plenty of chat.
One day I shall return!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Don't think there is time for boredom! You're always doing something!
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

Soup Dragon wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 12:53 I can't recall ever being bored during any of the dozen or so FNC attempts that I made. However all of these were as part of a team or at least two people, so there was always plenty of chat.
I do it by myself, 3 attempts so far, and it can get a bit taxing by the afternoon if you haven't said a word to anyone all day. People who are naturally chatty to strangers wouldn't have this problem of course.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

It wasn't so much boredom but when you get on a long haul towards the end of the day (District Line from Upminster, for example) you enter a malaise rather than boredom.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Whilst I haven't actually done a FNC, I have done several recce/practice runs to test routes and haven't got bored on them.

That said, I haven't done the north west or Heathrow sections of the route on most of those runs, tending to start at Paddington around 8am and seeing how far I get.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!