Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2022

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Re: Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2022

Post by tangy »

Lunaticonthegrass wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 17:22 Question about the "catch the first train in your direction of travel" rule...

If the start station is on the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line, challengers could start by heading down to Battersea Power Station. Would they be allowed to wait for the first train which goes all the way, or would they have to take the first southbound train, regardless of destination, and change at Kennington if needed?
Rule 2.5 of the challenge states "This also means e.g. for a Farringdon start, a team may decide to wait (say) for an eastbound Hammersmith & City train (for Aldgate East), a clockwise Circle for travel beyond Aldgate or any SSL train for Liverpool Street. However a team MUST NOT wait for the correct sequence (like H&C-Met-Circle and expect to make the Aldgate run to catch that Circle train!)"

It basically means take the first train to your next interchange, if we start at say TCR you may wait for a Battersea train if you are travelling beyond Kennington.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

tangy wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 07:51
Lunaticonthegrass wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 17:22 Question about the "catch the first train in your direction of travel" rule...

If the start station is on the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line, challengers could start by heading down to Battersea Power Station. Would they be allowed to wait for the first train which goes all the way, or would they have to take the first southbound train, regardless of destination, and change at Kennington if needed?
Rule 2.5 of the challenge states "This also means e.g. for a Farringdon start, a team may decide to wait (say) for an eastbound Hammersmith & City train (for Aldgate East), a clockwise Circle for travel beyond Aldgate or any SSL train for Liverpool Street. However a team MUST NOT wait for the correct sequence (like H&C-Met-Circle and expect to make the Aldgate run to catch that Circle train!)"

It basically means take the first train to your next interchange, if we start at say TCR you may wait for a Battersea train if you are travelling beyond Kennington.
So we'll all be hoping for a starting station on the Charing Cross branch :D
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Not sure about this 4 hour limit, surely we need to factor in some additional time for new stations and anything around 3 hours on the old configuration was pretty rapid. I don't see a problem with extending this by at least 30 mins? Surely give everyone a chance of completing
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I'll be there. 12:00 at Liverpool Street, right?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

tractakid wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 20:59 I'll be there. 12:00 at Liverpool Street, right?
Yep, 12.00 Liverpool Street. Though I'll be taking the scenic route to get there - need to check out the Bakerloo/H&C interchange at Paddington these days. Which will be a good excuse for my first ride on the Elizabeth line afterwards.
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

EastActionWoman wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 22:32
tractakid wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 20:59 I'll be there. 12:00 at Liverpool Street, right?
Yep, 12.00 Liverpool Street. Though I'll be taking the scenic route to get there - need to check out the Bakerloo/H&C interchange at Paddington these days. Which will be a good excuse for my first ride on the Elizabeth line afterwards.
Ooo, I might see you there!
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

With my it band still sore not worth me aggravating it running around london but i await tales of all the exploits enjoy one and all.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

Will I be at the pub? Who knows!
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

A good afternoon's Challenging, if a little warm, and beset somewhat by fitness issues.

I had already planned a circular route based on the route Elsie (AKA "old fat grandad") did a few weeks back, as that seemed an efficient way of doing things.

From the start at NHG, I went up to Bayswater with Clive then down to Queensway. Even at this point my lack of fitness was showing, which was not good - if, fresh, I felt my lack of fitness on the shortest OSI, what would I be like on the others? Over to Oxford Circus, up the Bakerloo to Paddington for the horrible interchange between the Bak and the H&C - again, fitness was telling here. Whilst waiting for an eastbound train, I was joined by Tangy, which was not good as he had departed south from NHG! (While we waited I mentioned that it was my understanding that the northern end of the Bakerloo platforms was somewhere under the Bishops Road platforms, and wouldn't it be good if TfL could connect them together.....). Tangy got off at Euston Square, I carried on to Moorgate, then back up to Euston on the Northern, down to Waterloo > London Bridge > Elephant and Castle. Up to this point only about an hour and a half had elapsed, giving me hope of a quick time, maybe inside three hours. But a delay on the Bak at E&C followed by a 6 minute wait for a doubleback at Lambeth North probably put paid to that. Down from E&C to Kennington and another 6 minute wait for a Battersea train, which had Clive onboard! Bus to Vauxhall (short wait) then up to Victoria where I was able to jump straight on to a waiting eastbound Circle Line train. Of course the carriage I jumped into was the wrong one for door position at Sloane Square and the train was too busy for me to rectify this, so I missed a train there on the doubleback. Round to Aldgate East (with a pass-through at Temple owing to staff shortages), run/walk down the street to Aldgate, two minute wait for the Met to Liverpool Street. A mistake here (missing the turn for the Central Line and going down the escalator for the EL) cost me a couple of minutes and put me another train down. Over to Holborn, up to Russell Square and back down, round the Picc to Earl's Court and finally up to HSK for a somewhat disappointing time of 3:26:49 - some 15 minutes slower than Elsie's time!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

RJSRdg wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 22:22 I had already planned a circular route based on the route Elsie (AKA "old fat grandad") did a few weeks back, as that seemed an efficient way of doing things.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elsie
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

Friday July 1st ... I have something else in mind! :D
Elsie
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

The current Zone 1 cup holder, Tangy, drew Notting Hill Gate as the start station for the challenge. Quite an interesting start station! 3 ways out, each with pros and cons. We all had a long ride on the Central line to NHG, all the while planning routes. At Tottenham Court Road someone pointed out that we should have taken the Elizabeth Line to Paddington instead. The route I managed to knock-up was:

NHG :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Russell Square :arrow: Holborn :arrow: Bank :arrow: Euston :arrow: TCR :arrow: Queensway :arrow: (run) Bayswater :arrow: Paddington (Praed Street) :arrow: (run) Paddington (H&C) :arrow: Edgware Road (Circle) :arrow: (run) Edgware Road (Bakerloo) :arrow: E&C :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: BPS :arrow: (run) Vauxhall :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Sloane Square :arrow: The Aldgates :arrow: Great Portland Street

I chose to start by heading south, meaning that I wouldn't have possibly spend an age waiting for a Wimbleware later in the day. Tangy and Lewis started in the same direction, but Tangy doubled back at HSK. At Earl's Court Lewis went to the District and I headed for the Piccadilly. Heading west I found myself sat next to a very talkative, slighty tipsy lady with her friend opposite. I think this was the the first time I've ended up talking to a stranger on the Tube. I left them at Russell Square for a double back to Holborn. I had assumed it would be a cross-platform so I hadn't bothered to look at door positions. It wasn't, and I had to run down the length of the platform before crossing over the tracks to the southbound side.

The next few changes were rather slow. At TCR I got very confused and started to head down an escalator back to the Northern Line. I realised my mistake after a few feet and managed to run back up the escalator (anyone else remember Gladiators?) before heading down the right corridor. Just missed a train but another wasn't far away. There were long queues for the lifts at Queensway so decided to (slowly) run up the stairs.

From here on I had a wonderful set of connections, especially on less frequently served bits of track. Barely any wait at Bayswater, and a train already in the platform at Paddington (H&C). There were minor delays on the Jubilee, but I reached the Northern at Waterloo with a Battersea train in 1 minute. Absolute win! Ran to Vauxhall, regularly looking over my shoulder in case a bus showed up but one never did. Further good changes at Victoria and Sloane Square.

The train I was on out of Sloane Square was a Circle. I spent most of the way to Tower Hill wondering if I should chance a H&C train at Aldgate East, or change to the Dictrict train behind this one and catch a more frequent Met line train from Aldgate. I eventually decided on the latter and, after visiting Aldgate East, ran to Aldgate where there was a Watford train due out in 1 minute. Almost immediately after leaving the train stopped, but the pace picked up and I finished at Great Portland Street as planned. I had managed to beat my previous time by about 3 minutes, so I was pleased with that.
1 pint in 18 seconds
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Wow! We've still not had the official results for this event! Tangy, could you oblige us? I can still remember my team name if it helps.
1 pint in 18 seconds
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Lunaticonthegrass wrote: 19 May 2023, 08:04 Wow! We've still not had the official results for this event! Tangy, could you oblige us? I can still remember my team name if it helps.
Very good point! Let's hope I still have everyone's entry cards for their team name.

Individual results are however on the Zone 1 league tables on Explorer Ticket.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.