Random 15 Championship: Round 6

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Random 15 Championship: Round 6

Post by tangy »

The last round of the 2019/20 Random 15 Championship season is nearly upon us.

This will be the last chance to gain points for the current leaderboard, however in line with the points scoring system, those challengers who have competed in all six rounds this season will have their worst score deducted from their final tally.

When: Saturday 11th June 2022 12:30 (DST)
Pre-challenge meet up: Covent Garden (randomly drawn from the same bucket of raffle tickets used for live draw of round 4).
Variant: Normal- 15 stations on the LU network only within zones 1 and 2.
Time limit: Normal- 4 hours.

As usual, after event pub social and darts with award of prizes and certificates to the challengers on the podium positions of the leaderboard.

Engineering work affecting the challenge (correct at time of posting):
District: Tower Hill - West Ham.
H&C: No service on entire line (Circle only west of Baker Street).
Northern: No service Archway - High Barnet/Mill Hill East.

Other engineering work to be aware of:
c2c: All trains to use Fenchurch Street- no service via Stratford.
Overground (West Anglia): No service Hackney Downs- Enfield Town/Cheshunt via Seven Sisters). London Fields and Cambridge Heath to be served by Chingford trains.
Overground (GOBLIN): No service on entire line
Southern: No service London Bridge - Streatham via Peckham Rye.

Hope to see you there!

Tangy
The BERC
Last edited by tangy on 22 May 2022, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: emboldened titles
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Re: Random 15 Championship: Round 6

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Attending: Lunaticonthegrass
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

tangy wrote: 22 May 2022, 09:38c2c: All trains to use Fenchurch Street- no service via Stratford.
Aren't there c2c services running Fenchurch Street - Stratford - Barking all day?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Attending: Lunaticonthegrass, GU

parkrun: Bexley - GU, (to complete Londone plus) others available for those not wishing a repeat
Spoons: - GU,The New Cross Turnpike, Welling
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

A Challenge wrote: 23 May 2022, 23:46 Aren't there c2c services running Fenchurch Street - Stratford - Barking all day?
Engineering work is taking place at London Liverpool Street, closing some lines.
As a result all services will be diverted to start / terminate and London Fenchurch Street.
From the details supplied on the National Rail Enquires website (where I take this information from, see above) I read it as all trains would be running West Ham. However, upon further investigation, it appears those trains that are timetabled to run into Liverpool Street on a Saturday will still do Barking- Stratford then divert back into Fenchurch Street via the Gas Factory line.

So if anyone is after a rare bit of track on the day...
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

Attending: Lunaticonthegrass, GU, EastActionWoman

parkrun: Bexley - GU, (to complete Londone plus) others available for those not wishing a repeat
Spoons: - GU,The New Cross Turnpike, Welling
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I make my R15 and Parkrun return!

Attending: Lunaticonthegrass, GU, EastActionWoman, xcooler123

parkrun: Bexley - GU, xcooler123 (to complete Londone plus) others available for those not wishing a repeat
Spoons: - GU, xcooler123 (The New Cross Turnpike, Welling)
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Haven't done one of these before, but sounds like it will be interesting.

Attending: Lunaticonthegrass, GU, EastActionWoman, xcooler123, A Challenge (+1),

parkrun: Bexley - GU, xcooler123 (to complete Londone plus) others available for those not wishing a repeat
Spoons: - GU, xcooler123 (The New Cross Turnpike, Welling)
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

I notice that the Olympia shuttle is now not running on Saturday as well. Also, the Piccadilly line platforms at South Kensington have reopened.
1 pint in 18 seconds
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Attending: Lunaticonthegrass, GU, EastActionWoman, xcooler123, A Challenge (+1), tractakid

Spoons: - GU, xcooler123 (The New Cross Turnpike, Welling

parkrun: Bethlem Royal Hospital-tractakid
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Badly sprained ankle with ligament damage twisted on cycle lane path walking for bus after Z1 so sadly no R15 for me today :(
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

Going Underground wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 07:43 Badly sprained ankle with ligament damage twisted on cycle lane path walking for bus after Z1 so sadly no R15 for me today :(
Oh no! Hope you're on the mend soon!
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Not one of my best challenges - no major blunders, but a couple of unfortunate decisions and some long waits.

The day didn't get off to a good start though - I'd forgotten that the Elizabeth Line was closed, so had planned to catch that to TCR and walk from there to Covent Garden, and timed my departure from Reading with that in mind. Got to Paddington and found the EL shut, so opted to walk to Lancaster Gate and get the Central from there to TCR instead - Lancaster Gate was also shut! Caught the first eastbound bus, but that turned off at Selfridges, so I opted to walk south to Green Park (further than the map indicated) and catch the Picc from there. By the time I got to Green Park, it was already 12:10. At Covent Garden, there was a big queue for the lifts, so I opted for the emergency staircase and - just my luck - found one that really is the height of a 15 storey building, so I was not in fit shape by the time I reached the top!

As to the Challenge itself, from Covent Garden I went westbound to Piccadilly Circus, then up the Bakerloo via Oxford Circus to Paddington (D,C,B). For the second time in two days, I made the hateful change to Bishop's Road, and for the second time in two days found myself stuck behind a tractor pulling bins around the bottom of the high numbered platforms. As the tractor did a U-turn around a pillar near the bottom of the escalators (nearly taking me out in the process!) I suspect it just drives around in circles to make the change even more difficult....

Six minute wait for an eastbound train via Latimer Road, down to Hammersmith and over the road. Down on to the platforms, a Picc train was waiting, relatively empty so I jumped in the rear carriage only for the train to be delayed to "even out gaps in the service" while more and more people crammed into the carriage and a District Line train arrived and departed from the other platform face. Both trains pulled into Baron's Court alongside each other so, for reasons of comfort, I jumped across to the District, even though that entailed an extra stop. At Earl's Court, up and over the bridge to a waiting Wimbledon train (so the extra stop at West Ken made no real difference), down through West Brompton to East Putney and down the road to Putney (NR) where I had a nine minute wait for a service to Clapham Junction and another nine minute wait there for a service to Clapham High Street (with reflection I should have stayed on the Waterloo service as far as Vauxhall). I then proceeded to get lost between CHS and Clapham North - I passed it without realising and had to double back, wasting time. Up to Stockwell, down to Brixton and back, then up to London Bridge and round to Stratford via North Greenwich and West Ham. A glance at Realtime Trains on the way up from West Ham showed that I had just missed an Overground towards Richmond, other possibilities were an EL about to depart for Liverpool Street or a ten minute wait for a service to Fenchurch Street. However as I passed the Central Line platforms, a Central Line train was already in the platform (I doubted my ability to get across the station in time to catch the EL) so I opted for that. Six minute wait for the Circle Line at Liverpool Street, followed by another lengthy delay to "even out the service" at Aldgate (should have taken the Fenchurch Street train). Eventually round to Tower Hill, carried on to Manument/Bonk, and up the Northern Line via Moorgate to KXSP and up the Vic to Highbury & Islington in a somewhat disappointing 3:30:03
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The results of Round 6 of the 2019/20 championship held on Saturday 11th June 2022.

This was a "normal" round with only LU stations in zones 1 & 2 in the draw. Therefore the stations to be visited were:
--Covent Garden (meet up/start)
--West Ham
--Putney Bridge
--Stratford
--Moorgate
--Oxford Circus
--North Greenwich
--Tower Hill
--Latimer Road
--Clapham North
--Brixton (LU)
--Earl's Court
--Highbury & Islington
--Paddington (Praed Street)
--West Brompton

There were 11 challengers in 10 teams:

10th: Ian McIntyre 14 stations (Did not visit Paddington Praed Street, only the H&C platforms).
9th: Richard Standing 03:30:03 at Highbury & Islington.
8th: Richard Graham 03:28:47 at Tower Hill.
7th: Stephen & Ellie 03:14:29 at North Greenwich.
6th: Tangy 03:12:16 at Clapham North.
5th: David Edwards 02:56:24 at North Greenwich.
4th: James Ramsbottom 02:52:26 at Putney Bridge.
=2nd: Jenny Sherman 02:42:48 at Putney Bridge.
=2nd: Andrew Chilcraft 02:42:28 at Putney Bridge.
1st: Andrew Baker 02:36:12 at Putney Bridge.

Putting these results into the leaderboard gives the final standing as:

1st: Andrew Chilcraft (53 points) [6 rounds attended]. Worst score of 4 deducted.
=2nd: David Edwards (42 points) [4]
=2nd: Jenny Sherman (42 points) [6]. Worst score of 3 deducted.
4th: Tangy (40) [6]. Worst score of 4 deducted.
5th: Andrew Baker (39) [6]. Worst score was 0, no points deduction.
6th: Hugo Marrow (36) [5]
7th: Kevin Brown (34) [5]
8th: Clive Burgess (18) [2]
9th: James Ramsbottom (17) [2]
10th: Richard Graham (15) [6]. Worst score was 0, no points deduction.
=11th: Damian Cook (13) [2]
=11th: Izzy Cook (13) [2]
=13th: Alistair Brown (12) [1]
=13th: Rob Lomas (12) [3]
15th: Peter Smyth (9) [3]
16th: Richard Standing (7) [4]
17th: Matthew Cook (6) [1]
=18th: Myles Swaine-Gray (5) [1]
=18th: Molly (5) [1]
=20th: Alex Kneller (4) [1]
=20th: Kat Hopper (4) [1]
=20th: Stephen (4) [1]
=20th: Ellie (4) [1]
24th: Rhys Benjamin (3) [2]
25th: Nick Gardner (1) [2]
=26th: David Gubbins (0) [1]
=26th: Theo (0) [1]
=26th: Michael Churchill (0) [1]
=26th: Das Stevens (0) [1]

Thank you for everyone that has competed in this extended season, albeit for one round or all six. We now take our summer break and will be back in September for the new 2022/23 season.

Tangy
The BERC

Tangy.
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Rather than start on the street side of the tickets barries at Covent Garden, we decided to all go down in the same lift (along with some members of the general public who were probably rather bemused), starting the challenge as the lift doors closed.

Having done a few test runs with the generator, I had the strategy to start by heading to the closest station and plan the rest of my route off the back of that. The only other station within the Bottle was Oxford Circus, so it was up to Holborn and then West on the Central line. I now realise that I could also have gone via Piccadilly Circus, which would probably given me a very different route. But since I was on a westbound Central I decided to do Latimer Road next then move in a clockwise direction to aim for a Putney Bridge finish. So my planned route was:

Covent Garden :arrow: Holborn :arrow: White City :arrow: (run) Wood Lane :arrow: Paddington (H&C) :arrow: (run) Paddington (Praed Street) :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: H&I :arrow: KXSP :arrow: Bonk/Manument :arrow: Tower Hill :arrow: (run) Fenchurch Street :arrow: West Ham :arrow: Stratford :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Clapham North :arrow: Stockwell :arrow: Brixton :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Putney Bridge

Had a nice run between White City and Wood Lane. There was a 7 minute wait for a train, on account of no H&Cs this weekend. I had planned to stay on this train all the way to KXSP, but a closer look at the station list showed me that it was the other Paddington I needed. So I did the usual Paddington run (for the first time in this direction - it's so much nicer this way being downhill!), caught the Bakerloo southbound for a second visit to Oxford Circus, then headed up the Victoria to H&I.

I'd hoped to use the Northern City line to get to Moorgate, if only because I'd never ridden it before. However it was an 11 minute wait when I arrived and there was a Victoria line train sitting in the adjacent platform. So it was back to KXSP then down the Bank branch. Getting off the train at Bank was the first time I used the new southbound platform. Ran into Monument then took a terminator one stop to Tower Hill.

I was also hoping I could use the c2c with my route as it was one of only two London terminals I hadn't used (The other being Cannon Street). Following the signposts from Tower Hill into the back entrance, there was a train due to leave in 3 minutes. Sadly not one to Stratford so no rare track-bashing for me today. Once at West Ham I headed up to Stratford on the Jubilee, just missing a double back the adjacent platform. Then had a decent run around to London Bridge, down to Clapham North and Brixton and up to Victoria.

The first train west was a circle so I took that for 2 stops so I could enjoy the sun whilst waiting for the Wimbledon train 2 minutes behind. There was a beggar on this train giving a well-rehearsed speech to every carriage, but he vanished around Earl's Court and I finished at Putney Bridge as planned.
Last edited by Lunaticonthegrass on 26 Jun 2022, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
1 pint in 18 seconds