Zone 1 2022

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Golf
Zone 4

Zone 1 2022

Post by Golf »

Not that i have been very much active on the forum recently as moved flat no access to this specific computer im writing on that has the password stored in.

Mr tangy are you doing a zone 1 challenge this year its been 3 years since the last or what are other people thoughts on it?
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
DavidC
Zone 6

Re: Zone 1 2022

Post by DavidC »

Borough station is scheduled to reopen in mid-May.

DavidC
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Yep now that the germ ridden safety blankets cannot be enforced I see no issues
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Too early to plan anything at the moment. Regarding COVID, I think we're as back to normal as we ever will be, and a few people, myself included, have already done a few challenges. Baring bad timing from the next variant, we should be ok to do something.

The issue this year lies with the Northern line. Will it be ready in time? We really can't say right now.

I'd say pencil something in but expect plans to change.
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

yeah bank branch should be reopen by then i presume that the random 15 championship is dead figurately speaking re-start in august september?.
So why not do it on a friday or saturday 3rd/4th june. Now the next bit here is slightly controversial i do love tangy but its about time someone else stepped up to host an annual event after all it was for the winner of the previous year event to hold. now he does organise well but change does help and refreshes interest! opinions please

Date 3rd june or 4th june or other dates?
Time i say the old classic 12:30pm meet up with 13:30pm start so roughly people finish around 17:00ish gives us parkrun people enough time to get into london without compromising a saturday!
organiser tangy or change of host
tube olympic winner once
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

If Borough is not open, then surely you just start there and everyone leaves on foot to their second station?
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

al wrote: 04 Feb 2022, 13:57 If Borough is not open, then surely you just start there and everyone leaves on foot to their second station?
This fails to satisfy the latter part of rule 2: "If a station is temporarily closed (to ALL lines at that station) for any reason e.g. security alert, rebuilding etc. then a "pass through" of the station is accepted."

DavidC
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I was thinking of a R15 we did once that started at the long closed Aldwych. If it's a case of starting there or having no event as you can't pass through, I'm guessing the former will be more popular.
Doesn't any more.
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

al wrote: 05 Feb 2022, 07:43 I was thinking of a R15 we did once that started at the long closed Aldwych. If it's a case of starting there or having no event as you can't pass through, I'm guessing the former will be more popular.
Interesting concept. Does that mean we should also be able to do (non-Guinness) FNCs that involve walking around the Heathrow area while T4 is temporarily closed? Or All Lines at a weekend when the W&C is temporarily closed? Or...?

Where is the boundary between being pragmatic about long-term closure versus heading down a slippery slope?

And yes, of course I am selfishly hoping that tangy will update the top times tales to reflect my Z1 and South London times after the NLE reset and before the Bank branch blockade ... because I carefully stuck to "the rules".
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Remember I also set a Z1 time with the NLE which I too am selfishly hoping Tangy gets round to showing on a leader board sometime soon.

This doesn't mean I think that puts a Z1 event out of bounds if the Northern Line closure is still on. For one, it will be slow for people to start on foot from Borough. Secondly, having to visit the remaining Northern stations will be awkward. These two together mean a competitive time is very unlikely. Over and above, it could make it entertaining in a different way to have to factor all of these in to route planning.

If other people feel as strongly as you do against it, then it could be agreed in advance that any times set that day do not count to the Z1 leaderboard, making it in effect a standalone challenge with a Z1 theme.
Doesn't any more.
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

I'm absolutely not "against it" in principle. My question was genuine.

"Where is the boundary between being pragmatic about long-term closure versus heading down a slippery slope?" for those and other challenges?

Periods of extended closure are frustrating for us all, and exploring pragmatism is good. But, for it to be meaningful, it needs to be something that people here appear to feel broadly comfortable with.

The Borough closure is pretty short compared to that of T4. Does that matter? Maybe, maybe not. Is the T4 closure so long that it should be treated as a reset? Maybe, maybe not. These are all great questions for us to be discussing.

DavidC
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Fair enough!

My two pence is that the FNC challenge can't go against the established rules, but the alternative challenges have some scope to where there is a good reason. I don't think the gold standard should be eased - Olympia is a case in point where although it is awkward, it must be visited by District Line in order to count.

That point of view is likely to come under some pressure if T4 is still "temporarily" closed after 4 or 5 years!
Doesn't any more.
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

no reply from tangy so i give him to the end of feb to say he wants to organise. according to tfl mid may is the date for reopening for the bank branch so june 3rd would be perfect
tube olympic winner once
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Golf wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 18:48 ... june 3rd would be perfect
Isn't that a bank holiday this year? Queen's platinum jubilee and all?
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

more likely people have the day off?
tube olympic winner once