Paper ticket problems

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Paper ticket problems

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

On the Z1 I did recently (and also on my only FNC to date) my paper ticket stopped working after I had been through the barriers a few times. Any ideas as to why it might do this, and what I can do to stop it? Is it because even paper tickets know when I've been underground too long to make a journey and don't like it? Might it be ink rubbing off in my clothes pockets? Am I a freak of nature which disables paper tickets or am I just very unlucky? Or both?

Also, why do things only go wrong when you least want them to?
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
roblo97
Zone 3

Re: Paper ticket problems

Post by roblo97 »

Lunaticonthegrass wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 17:45 On the Z1 I did recently (and also on my only FNC to date) my paper ticket stopped working after I had been through the barriers a few times. Any ideas as to why it might do this, and what I can do to stop it? Is it because even paper tickets know when I've been underground too long to make a journey and don't like it? Might it be ink rubbing off in my clothes pockets? Am I a freak of nature which disables paper tickets or am I just very unlucky? Or both?

Also, why do things only go wrong when you least want them to?
Was the ticket next to your phone at all? If so, I think it might have de-magnetised the ticket.
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Yes, that's happened to me several times - in fact I think there may have been one R15 season where it happened to me every time!

It may not necessarily be the phone itself that demagnetises it, but many phone cases these days have a magnetic catch.

When I first started Challenging, I used to keep my Travelcard in my wallet. Unfortunately, that backfired after I lost my wallet on one Challenge, which left me with no ticket to get home and no money or card to buy another! After that, I started keeping the Travelcard in my phone pouch (which at the time had a velcro catch) and didn't have any issues. Unfortunately, on another Challenge, I lost my phone....

When I went to buy a replacement pouch for the new phone, I found velcro pouches were no longer being made and only magnetic ones were available. It was when I started keeping my ticket in a magnetic pouch that the problems started!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Yes, my ticket was in the same pocket as my phone. I don't have a though phone case, so that's not the problem.

Next time I'm in London I'll keep my ticket and phone separate and see what happens.
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Lost count has happened to me on almost every challenge I ever done so well into 3 figures
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Going Underground wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 15:49 Lost count has happened to me on almost every challenge I ever done so well into 3 figures
You obviously have a magnetic personality!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver