Zone 1 Attempt 14th November 2021

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
al
Zone 6

Zone 1 Attempt 14th November 2021

Post by al »

Made my first attempt at a Zone 1 challenge today, the first time in a long time, but obviously including the NLE too. It turned out to be a game of two halves, with a delayed kick off.

I decided my starting point was to be St. James's Park. I'd worked out a sweet spot past the hour when I wanted to start, however there was a train missing at that precise point. I couldn't delay my attempt another hour so just had to go for it.

Things did go well to start with though. Straight onto a train at Aldgate, Liverpool Street, Farringdon. Reasonable at Moorgate, King's Cross and Leicester Square.

Euston was bad with the escalators being closed, so forced towards platforms 8-12. Straight onto a Circle at Euston Square though. Things were looking good at this point.

Paddington is where it started to unravel. The signage there stinks, I ended up wriggling through the development works and appearing on Praed Street. I had to wait a couple of minutes on the platform, so probably missed a train because of it.

This meant that although I jumped straight on a packed Central line train at Oxford Circus, I missed the District at Bayswater and had to use my back up plan of the Olympia shuttle. A slick change at Earls Court gave me hope, but then we sat at Sloane Square for about 3 minutes.

The final nail in the coffin came at Vauxhall where I had to wait 3 mins for two buses to arrive together, and I picked what turned out to be the wrong one. Waiting time at BPS: 10 minutes :-(

An unspectacular finish gave me a time of 3h06m39s. Really annoying that I was on for a sub 3 hour time but still didn't make it .

Still, it's a target of sorts for you lot!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
stepneygreen05
Zone 2

Re: Zone 1 Attempt 14th November 2021

Post by stepneygreen05 »

At least you tried!
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Given that it must take about 5 minutes to travel down the new line, not to mention the high chance of a lengthy wait, 3h6 seems like a reasonable time for the new Z1 configuration. But I agree that it's not an amazing time and will probably be broken before too long.
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Seems an incredible time as anything around 3 hours was a very good Z1 benchmark :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold