Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2021

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2021

Post by tubeguru »

Golf wrote: 06 May 2021, 20:57 Tangy i think you need take charge here and make your mind up its less than a month away so you either need to say its on this date and mask wear or postpone!.
Well he started this thread to gauge opinion on whether it should go ahead, but it's turned into a discussion about parkrun ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Reiterating the response I gave on the Facebook version for this question, I don't think that 4 June is quite the right point for this, but we aren't far off. Apart from anything else the post-match gathering isn't possible.

In making this comment I am not so much concerned about my own health as I think that by then I should have had vaccination #1, and can be sensible otherwise anyway.

HOWEVER... There are a lot of people out there who are still very wary of being anywhere near anyone else. Those people would likely not appreciate us lot running around the network, rushing past them, and jumping (often panting) on to trains in close proximity of them, even if everyone were wearing a mask. There is also a risk of bringing unwanted attention on to our 'sport'. A "walking only" rule wouldn't work as everyone would have different ideas of what that meant.

I would prefer not to do a challenge while face coverings are mandatory, and a Z1 and a standard R15 provide limited opportunities for respite. I would though dearly like to see everyone again, but would suggest initially one of the challenges with a starting window, or the r15 twist round we had a few years ago from tracktakid of z1-4 all modes south of the river as that has potential for a lot more outside and mask-free changes / opportunities. Maybe (depending on how things go) choose a Saturday at the start of July for something like that and do Z1 just before schools start back in September and kick off the r15 season from there too.

Hope to see to all soon!

Andrew / A2
- Andrew
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

A2 wrote: 06 May 2021, 23:24 Reiterating the response I gave on the Facebook version for this question, I don't think that 4 June is quite the right point for this, but we aren't far off. Apart from anything else the post-match gathering isn't possible.

In making this comment I am not so much concerned about my own health as I think that by then I should have had vaccination #1, and can be sensible otherwise anyway.

HOWEVER... There are a lot of people out there who are still very wary of being anywhere near anyone else. Those people would likely not appreciate us lot running around the network, rushing past them, and jumping (often panting) on to trains in close proximity of them, even if everyone were wearing a mask. There is also a risk of bringing unwanted attention on to our 'sport'. A "walking only" rule wouldn't work as everyone would have different ideas of what that meant.

I would prefer not to do a challenge while face coverings are mandatory, and a Z1 and a standard R15 provide limited opportunities for respite. I would though dearly like to see everyone again, but would suggest initially one of the challenges with a starting window, or the r15 twist round we had a few years ago from tracktakid of z1-4 all modes south of the river as that has potential for a lot more outside and mask-free changes / opportunities. Maybe (depending on how things go) choose a Saturday at the start of July for something like that and do Z1 just before schools start back in September and kick off the r15 season from there too.

Hope to see to all soon!

Andrew / A2
Agree with virtually every word (except the bit about vaccinations, as I won't be eligible for one by then).

I would not want to do a challenge while:
- face coverings are mandatory;
- social distancing remains in place;
- TFL are still telling people not to travel unless necessary.

This is not paranoia about my own health - I have not been so concerned about my own physical health, which is not too bad... which is why I'm not eligible for a vaccine for a while longer... grrr....

But I worry about whether it is right to do it now, in terms of moral and legal responsibilities. Legally, anything between 17 May (which looks unlikely to be pushed back) and 21 June (at the earliest) cannot be more than 30 people outdoors and 6 indoors. Great for family BBQs, not so good for the London Underground, where being on a train is "inside" and being in a station is also "inside", I guess? And isn't 30 underestimating numbers anyway based on previous Zone 1s?

And I think it is morally wrong whilst, as I've already said, TFL have basically told us not to...

So insofar as 4 June is concerned, I'm out.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Having read responses from others and given this a bit more thought, I think we should push the date back. I still would be willing to do it before 21st June, but I feel that doing it after that date would see more people be involved, would not risk getting bad press for us and - most importantly - allow us to go to the pub as a large group afterwards.

(OK, so I've yet to go to a post Z1 pub session, but I understand that they're the stuff of legend.)
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I agree with HT - Challenging certainly doesn't fall into the category of "minimising travel" so we shouldn't be doing any Challenging at least until that is lifted.

In terms of the number of people inside a station, one option would be to start a Challenge at a point equidistant from several stations (outside the front of Buckingham Palace springs to mind!) so that competitors would scatter in different directions from the off.

I'll admit having a large gathering inside a pub is something I'm nervous about (even once it's allowed) - I'm certainly in no rush to go back to the crammed back room of the Brickies, especially if there are people who haven't been vaccinated. I seem to remember we ended a Challenge at the Prince William Henry in Southwark once, which was more spread out and had an outdoor area.

In terms of an R15 south of the river - I'd been wondering about that myself, as experience from previous R15s suggests that passenger loadings on a Saturday afternoon are quite light (football permitting) on the NR lines, DLR and the Richmond and Wimbledon branches of the District. Though I think to avoid the busier areas of the network, I'd exclude the Northern, Jubilee and Bakerloo lines.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The consensus is clear, and I'm going to add to it:

The Zone 1 challenge shouldn't be held while mask-wearing is still mandated by the government, or while restrictions on gatherings inside places like pubs are in force.

Certain members of this forum (I'm thinking of two in particular) may be OK with doing a challenge, followed by going to the pub, but I feel they're very much in the minority.

Member of sweet FA
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

tubeguru wrote: 08 May 2021, 16:54 The consensus is clear, and I'm going to add to it:

The Zone 1 challenge shouldn't be held while mask-wearing is still mandated by the government, or while restrictions on gatherings inside places like pubs are in force.

Certain members of this forum (I'm thinking of two in particular) may be OK with doing a challenge, followed by going to the pub, but I feel they're very much in the minority.
its because we are not worried about the situation enough is enough its time to get back and stop worrying about something that u have a very small chance of getting and a government that is constantly telling you what to do when are you going to say NO!

as i put tangy needs to take charge as u had many people poo pooing the date i just saw where the wind was going and to avoid yet another delay to many things said make a decision where i like tangy loads he doesnt have the authority to say this is the date we will stick to it and those whom cant come tough luck!
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Golf wrote: 08 May 2021, 19:53
tubeguru wrote: 08 May 2021, 16:54 The consensus is clear, and I'm going to add to it:

its because we are not worried about the situation enough is enough its time to get back and stop worrying about something that u have a very small chance of getting and a government that is constantly telling you what to do when are you going to say NO!

as i put tangy needs to take charge as u had many people poo pooing the date i just saw where the wind was going and to avoid yet another delay to many things said make a decision where i like tangy loads he doesnt have the authority to say this is the date we will stick to it and those whom cant come tough luck!
I think the replies in this thread will more than likely result in tangy saying it's not happening. My feeling is that it doesn't matter if he decides that it IS going ahead - nobody will turn up! Unless you fancy doing it on your own and winning by default.

Also, I'm sure tangy doesn't need your continual needless pressure to make a decision. He's more than capable of making one without anyone else trying to take over.

Member of sweet FA
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

thats why this country is going to pot too much media scaring the general public delaying everything next it be the iceland variant my some goat herder. get on with life even boris is telling u to hug.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Golf wrote: 11 May 2021, 08:39 get on with life even boris is telling u to hug.
But he’s not letting us run around the London Underground without a mask. When we can do so without a mask I will be there.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

nozzacook wrote: 11 May 2021, 08:51
Golf wrote: 11 May 2021, 08:39 get on with life even boris is telling u to hug.
But he’s not letting us run around the London Underground without a mask. When we can do so without a mask I will be there.
Yeah a mask is the only drawback for me - fine with everything else...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

if masks are no longer required i secondary schools why not other settings such as colleges and public transport?? one to ponder on....
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

trains 500 wrote: 11 May 2021, 16:18 if masks are no longer required i secondary schools why not other settings such as colleges and public transport?? one to ponder on....
Schools and Colleges from Monday 17th no longer require masks to be worn as students are still being tested twice weekly.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

When this does happen, Tangy will need an extra piece of paper in his bucket

Kennington tube station is changing from a Zone 2 station to a Zone 1/2 station
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

greatkingrat wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:20 When this does happen, Tangy will need an extra piece of paper in his bucket

Kennington tube station is changing from a Zone 2 station to a Zone 1/2 station
Or maybe make that the starting station by default?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold