Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Post by tubeguru »

Soup Dragon wrote: 22 May 2021, 10:42I think you are far more optimistic about the UK's chances than I am, Perhaps 25-35 votes from juries, but I reckon less than 10 from the public vote, I think we're only likely to get votes from Ireland, Malta & Australia. Overall I expect that we will score fewer points than SuRie in 2018, because the competition is too strong this year. I'm sure that I will be wrong though.... I usually am LOL
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the UK will get no more than 40 points from the televote. I have no idea how the juries will vote, but it could be even worse.

We're going to be no higher than halfway up the right-hand side of the scoreboard.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

We always tend to do better with the jury, and this year will be no different.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

hopeful traveller wrote: 22 May 2021, 21:53 We always tend to do better with the jury, and this year will be no different.
We did as well with the jury as we did with the televote this year! Finland did as well as I was expecting and Italy likewise, nice to see more guitar and hard rock/metal songs doing really well!
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Silver lining: we were 23rd in the televote thanks to the tie break rule...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote: 22 May 2021, 21:53 We always tend to do better with the jury, and this year will be no different.
You were saying?

And I told you Germany's song was shit.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

My top ten prediction was:

1. Switzerland (third)
2. France (second)
3. Italy (first)
4. Iceland (correct)
5. Ukraine (correct)
6. Finland (correct)
7. Malta (correct)
8. Lithuania (correct)
9. Azerbaijan (nowhere)
10. San Marino (Flo who?)

The last two let me down, but I got the other eight in the top ten, and only my top three were in a different order.

Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tubeguru wrote: 23 May 2021, 11:05 My top ten prediction was:

1. Switzerland (third)
2. France (second)
3. Italy (first)
4. Iceland (correct)
5. Ukraine (correct)
6. Finland (correct)
7. Malta (correct)
8. Lithuania (correct)
9. Azerbaijan (nowhere)

The last two let me down, but I got the other eight in the top ten, and only my top three were in a different order.
That's amazing Neil, I got 7 out of 10 on the top ten, but the order was totally wrong. Back in the day, before they changed the voting system I could usually predict every song within one or two places, but nowadays it's a minefield!
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Soup Dragon wrote: 23 May 2021, 23:27
tubeguru wrote: 23 May 2021, 11:05 My top ten prediction was:

1. Switzerland (third)
2. France (second)
3. Italy (first)
4. Iceland (correct)
5. Ukraine (correct)
6. Finland (correct)
7. Malta (correct)
8. Lithuania (correct)
9. Azerbaijan (nowhere)

That's amazing Neil, I got 7 out of 10 on the top ten, but the order was totally wrong. Back in the day, before they changed the voting system I could usually predict every song within one or two places, but nowadays it's a minefield!
This is why I love the new system. You never REALLY know who's got it until the very end.

(Although had I had a spreadsheet running, deducting all the televote points from 2262 as I went along, then I would have known that Switzerland couldn't possibly have won once it was only between them and Italy).

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Or even just a calculator.

UK entries have not reached the top 40 in the UK chart since 2014, and we are ALWAYS beaten by other entries in the charts. Most other countries make it to #1 way before the contest in their own countries. So if we can't back our songs, why would anyone else? The BBC have had Eurovision in the wrong department for years, the light entertainment department (Radio 2, BBC One) for years. They need the selection to be something you could hear on Radio 1 rather than Radio 2, and subsequently trouble the top 10 in the charts. Then, and only then, will we get anywhere.

For what it's worth, I think it's splitting hairs to an extent. If we had finished anywhere in the bottom half I think the point would stand.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote: 25 May 2021, 01:03 Or even just a calculator.
Or whatever *I* choose to use, thanks.

Member of sweet FA
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

hopeful traveller wrote: 25 May 2021, 01:03 Or even just a calculator.

UK entries have not reached the top 40 in the UK chart since 2014, and we are ALWAYS beaten by other entries in the charts. Most other countries make it to #1 way before the contest in their own countries. So if we can't back our songs, why would anyone else? The BBC have had Eurovision in the wrong department for years, the light entertainment department (Radio 2, BBC One) for years. They need the selection to be something you could hear on Radio 1 rather than Radio 2, and subsequently trouble the top 10 in the charts. Then, and only then, will we get anywhere.

For what it's worth, I think it's splitting hairs to an extent. If we had finished anywhere in the bottom half I think the point would stand.
Or maybe, the wrong type of song was chosen? As Finland and Italy managed to display rather emphatically this year, heavier songs tend to do well with the public vote, ZITTI E BUONI also doing well with the jury votes as well for good measure. On the back of this, I think we could see more rock/metal songs next year in much the same way that Lordi winning in 2006 saw more rock/metal songs in 2007. Finland even sent a power metal band in 2008 while the nu-metal band Eldrine represented Georgia in 2011 and Hungary were represented by the metalcore band AWS in 2018!
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

What I don't understand is why this is taken as such a dent to our national pride. Europe hates us, so what!
What we should do is embrace that and really take the piss, like when Ireland entered the puppet turkey, or this year's Icelandic vote spokesman. I'm not not entirely sure Germany's entry wasn't a joke that was taken seriously.
We don't even have an obligation to enter do we? Didn't France not bother for a few years.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

michael_churchill wrote: 26 May 2021, 09:03 What I don't understand is why this is taken as such a dent to our national pride. Europe hates us, so what!
nail on head Michael....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

michael_churchill wrote: 26 May 2021, 09:03 What I don't understand is why this is taken as such a dent to our national pride. Europe hates us, so what!
What we should do is embrace that and really take the piss, like when Ireland entered the puppet turkey, or this year's Icelandic vote spokesman. I'm not not entirely sure Germany's entry wasn't a joke that was taken seriously.
We don't even have an obligation to enter do we? Didn't France not bother for a few years.
As a member of the Big Five, if the UK choose not to enter one year, the EBU may insist that we have to qualify in future competitions. Maybe that's one reason we don't leave.

Also, our song was very bland this year. The guy who sung it isn't a dancer, had terrible staging (what were those massive trumpets all about), and it was simply lost among so many far superior songs - Italy, France, Switzerland, Ukraine, Iceland, Lithuania, and Russia.

The people who choose our song really need to think about stepping away from the bland rubbish we've been sending the last few years, and really go for something "out there". I mean, it can't do any worse than Jemini, can it?

Plus yeah, the UK hasn't been the toast of Europe for several years now, and I doubt their attitude towards us will change any time soon.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Going Underground wrote: 26 May 2021, 12:07
nail on head Michael....
The reason it's become a talking point in the right-wing media especially is because they see it as another UK versus Europe war. The Sun, the Mail, and the Express will use anything to stoke up anti-EU/Europe sentiment among its readers.

And it works. I looked through some of the comments on articles on the Mail website about Eurovision. You'd think we were at full-scale war with every country in Europe, the things people were saying. It's literally a song contest. The best/most popular song wins.

Also, the UK has an absolutely terrible superiority complex. We always like to see ourselves as the best, and in charge. As soon as we don't win, we take our ball and cry all the way home to mummy. It's pathetic.

Member of sweet FA