Battersea / Nine Elms extension

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
DavidC
Zone 6

Re: Battersea / Nine Elms extension

Post by DavidC »

This morning an official TfL Facebook account has posted about the opening on Monday and, without any qualification, has then stated that "The first train will start from BPS at 0528.

"Battersea Power Station and Nine Elms stations are opening their doors on Monday 20 September, putting this area of south London on the Tube map for the very first time!
The first train will depart from Battersea Power Station at 5:28am
Which station are you visiting first?"

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500" width="500" height="460" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

The TfL Journey Planner for Monday confirms the 0528 from BPS and also shows the first service from Kennington to BPS as 0542.
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

I'm confident that a certain tube challenger will be on at least one of those services, complete with his video camera.
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
andytube
Zone 2

Post by andytube »

My claim that I have visited all Tube stations in one day will be null and void from Monday then :-(

Looks like I will need to start planning another attempt for 2022 once mask wearing on public transport has become a distant memory.

Wonder who will make the claim to be the first through the ticket barriers on Monday? And who will be the early leader on the new Tube Challenge leaders board? And Zone 1?

Wonder if there will be a new surge of people doing the Tube Challenge again? Maybe someone could generate some media interest to get more people doing the challenge?
Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

From Twitter and another tube forum, there seem to be quite a few people planning to be at Battersea Power Station early enough to take the first timetabled train to Kennington. Sounds like it'll be busy.

I'm meeting friends in Leicester Square on Tuesday evening, so will leave home early to check out the new stations whilst I'm on the Charing X branch. It will be chance to update my interchange notes for the Z1 challenge. Currently still in an air boot, so won't be trying for the record for a while.
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

andytube wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 09:41 who will be the early leader on the new Tube Challenge leaders board? And Zone 1?

Reset south London too and also it may create some more opportunities for alphabet
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
andytube
Zone 2

Post by andytube »

I see Mr Marshall is already camped outisde :-)
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

andytube wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 09:41 My claim that I have visited all Tube stations in one day will be null and void from Monday then :-(
Ditto. :( At least I've enjoyed the last 11.5 years of dining out the achievement. Not sure I am currently in a fit state to attempt it again. But never say never...

A slight tweak to the lyrics of the "Underground Can-can" song will also be necessary...
Duncan
Zone 1

Post by Duncan »

andytube wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 09:41 My claim that I have visited all Tube stations in one day will be null and void from Monday then :-(

Looks like I will need to start planning another attempt for 2022 once mask wearing on public transport has become a distant memory.

Wonder who will make the claim to be the first through the ticket barriers on Monday? And who will be the early leader on the new Tube Challenge leaders board? And Zone 1?

Wonder if there will be a new surge of people doing the Tube Challenge again? Maybe someone could generate some media interest to get more people doing the challenge?
As of this morning there will be no one who has done the full network in a day.

...now the question being - as Terminal 4 is closed (and has been for some time and indeed may never re-open) can you do a FNC and not include T4?
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Duncan wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 10:32

As of this morning there will be no one who has done the full network in a day.

...now the question being - as Terminal 4 is closed (and has been for some time and indeed may never re-open) can you do a FNC and not include T4?

Of course you can - just don't expect it to be ratified by Guinness World Records or any other body as you won't have visited every station!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

All the press is referring to this as the “first major extension this century” :roll: and whichever intern has tweeted on behalf of Grant Shapps says they’re the first tube stations to be opened this century…

… deary me!
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

hopeful traveller wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 12:17 All the press is referring to this as the “first major extension this century”...
It could be, if the T5 extension is considered a minor extension. But I don't see how that can be the case. The only difference between the two projects is the length and the number of stations.
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

I was lucky enough to be there this morning. Wasn't expecting to see around 100 people waiting for the station to open at 5 in the morning. Nice to finally see Geoff Marshall, and also Simon Calder, in the flesh. Geoff even signed my copy of his book about all the tube stations. Fantastic experience.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

hopeful traveller wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 12:17 All the press is referring to this as the “first major extension this century” :roll: and whichever intern has tweeted on behalf of Grant Shapps says they’re the first tube stations to be opened this century…

… deary me!
Siddy Holloway from Secrets of the Underground posted similarly - which surprised me given she works at the LTM
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
andytube
Zone 2

Post by andytube »

I'm working in London for a few weeks, so headed down to Battersea after work.

At least I can say that I have done all 272 stations.

Place was just full of people taking photos and videos of anything and everything. Surely they're not all Tube fanatics? Maybe a certain amount were just having a brag on social media?

Just how do the media and politicians get such a simple to look up fact incorrect? Let's keep this on topic though.

As for T4, I thought if a station was closed then it was classed as a pass through and the attempt still counted?

RobbieM - go for it. 2022 :-)