Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station 'L' Hints...

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 08 May 2021, 16:42 That Confucius hint is the easiest one I've seen from you so far.
I think that's a compliment! I figure that the hardcore players have made their entries already, so I can widen the field a bit now.

(Either that, or that I just need to let my warped brain have a chance to express the bizarre things it thinks... :? )
Steeevooo
All Zones

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by Steeevooo »

tubeguru wrote: 08 May 2021, 16:42 That Confucius hint is the easiest one I've seen from you so far.
Agreed!
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station 'L' Hints...

Post by RobbieM »

Steeevooo wrote: 09 May 2021, 00:32
Agreed!
That's good to know! Confucius was always keen to make sure his listeners could easily grasp the gist of what he was saying. As for Socrates, well, the simplicity of his hint is way out of character.

For Socrates was well-known for saying things like "μιλάω για πολλές ασυναρτησίες όταν είχα πάρα πολύ ούζο". Which I, for one, find hard to understand.
RobbieM
All Zones

Station L - finishing soon

Post by RobbieM »

A couple of days left to get your answers in for Station L - will probably answer it Saturday. Or Sunday.
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

21AB history is not for me so I’ll take a pass on the Boni
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Station L - finishing soon

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 13 May 2021, 22:46 A couple of days left to get your answers in for Station L - will probably answer it Saturday. Or Sunday.
Is there any reason why each quiz is open for so long? You only get three answers!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

at least it passes by time

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 14 May 2021, 09:04
RobbieM wrote: 13 May 2021, 22:46 A couple of days left to get your answers in for Station L - will probably answer it Saturday. Or Sunday.
Is there any reason why each quiz is open for so long? You only get three answers!
Misplaced optimism? :?

(Actually, this time there are at least four!)
trains 500 wrote: 14 May 2021, 10:13 at least it passes by time
Indeed. And I can feel the excitement in anticipation of the new challenge which is waiting in the wings. And no history questions with it! :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 14 May 2021, 12:05Misplaced optimism? :?
You leave each one two weeks at the moment, don't you? Since you probably get all the answers within a week (I'm guessing), would it be worth considering making it a weekly thing, to see how it goes?

Member of sweet FA
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

RobbieM wrote: 14 May 2021, 12:05
Indeed. And I can feel the excitement in anticipation of the new challenge which is waiting in the wings. And no history questions with it! :D
oh the tension, I cant handle it.

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Station L - answers...

Post by RobbieM »

...will be coming later today...! (Sorry for the tease! :D ) - I'll try and do them in my lunch break.

I'll try and review lengths of challenges. There are a number of practicalities as to when I can do changeovers - due to work patterns, and being at the right computer at the right time etc. etc.
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'L' - Answered!

Post by RobbieM »

So, time to close Station L. (Well, not close it; it’s a very useful station, but you know what I mean…)

Let’s look at the hint: “This comedian no pay tax? Many people cross over this!” Well, many people were indeed cross some years back, when they heard Jimmy Carr had allegedly been part of a tax avoidance scheme. Now read the second part of the hint in a different way, what do “many people cross over”? All sorts of things, but the most obvious is a bridge. Now put the two together, and you’ll get our mystery station, which is Carrbridge.

And them bonus questions? You were looking for something that changed the view dramatically, and I’m sure there was plenty of Googling going on. The hint for bonus 1 was “Whoops! I really don’t think the driver wanted to do that!” You saw how cold it was in my photo. This was cold enough to freeze the brakes of a freight train on its way from Inverness to Mossend yard. The train passed over Slochd summit; that’s when the driver realised he had a problem. The gentle descent towards Carrbridge wasn’t gentle enough for the runaway train, and it gathered speed over several miles. Finally it reached the points you see in my photo, and – well, you can see the result in this picture, taken the following morning.

This 'day-after' photo was taken on 5th January 2010. The accident itself happened around 4pm on 4th January. So when was my photo taken? In my write-up, I said that my photo was taken one morning. And 24 hours later (the following morning) it looked similar. But the morning after that (another 24 hours), it was the mess you see in the second photo. So the accident happened between 24 and 48 hours after my visit, and it was the afternoon of 4th January. This can only put the date of my photo as 3rd January 2010. (About 9:30am, if I remember correctly.)

My parents live in the Great Glen, and I’m almost always with them for Christmas and Hogmanay. There was an annual tradition for many years that we’d go to the Carrbridge Hotel’s final Ceilidh of the festive season. This was always on 2nd January, and we’d stay the night. My parents would then drop me at the station the next morning, say goodbye, and I’d begin my long journey southwards. This particular year, the train didn’t come (leaving me time to take photos of the station…). Not knowing what would happen with trains that day, we headed to Inverness station to enquire. Finally I managed to get a later train, (which passed through Carrbridge), and my journey continued. I’d got as far as Horwich (near Bolton) a couple of days later, when I heard of the accident.

Full well done to TubeGuru, Steevooo and trains500 for working out the station before the hint.
Secondary well done to RJSRdg for getting the station after the hint was given.
For Bonus 1: Well done to TubeGuru, Steevooo and RJSRdg.
For Bonus 2? Secondary well done to TubeGuru and Steevooo, who initially guessed 2nd January, then I invited them to recalculate, and both worked out the correct date. (RJSRdg initially guessed 4th January, then I invited a recalculation, but it never materialised.)

Right, that’s that ordeal finally over! :D The next one is coming soon, hopefully by the end of the afternoon. It should be less complicated, but hopefully still a fun challenge…
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'N'

Post by RobbieM »

So here it is…. Merry Mid-May, everybody’s having fun?

I’ve already waxed lyrical about the wonderful architecture you can find at stations across our network. However, sometimes it’s felt the traditional design no longer suits the station for the 21st century, so changes are made to bring it up to date. You can see one such modification at Station N.

What a transformation! Yet it turns out that the relevant railway company weren’t happy with the changes, and eventually they put it back to its original design. Some people just can’t appreciate modern art…. Anyway:

• Name Station N.

PM answers to me as usual. I’ll work out the timescales depending on people’s progress/interest etc. Hints to follow later, if needed. Have fun! 😊

………“Caw!”

What’s that? Oh, the crow’s back! What have you to say, my friend?

……… “Caw! Caaaw! Caaaaaaaaw!

Oh, sorry. A little bird has just told me I forgot about the bonus questions! Here they are:

• Bonus 1: Name Station O. It’s one stop up the line from Station N.
• Bonus 2: Name Station P. It’s one stop down the line from Station N.

Thanks, Crow. Back to your birdseed, now…
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Easy! Answers submitted.

Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Stations NO&P

Post by RobbieM »

Just a clarification on my use of 'ups' and 'downs' in my initial write up. It's been pointed out to me that the up/down designations are actually a little confusing in this area of the country.

So let's just say these stations are consecutive along the line, in the order O-N-P.