Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Oscar -Hint

Post by RobbieM »

Two correct guesses so far. I guess you other wonderful people are waiting for the hint. Okay, I’m going to give the hint for the bonus first. Why not?

Bonus: Other stations in the other 47-or-so include Stoke-on-Trent, Moreton-in-Marsh and Shoreham-by-Sea. “Ding-a-ling!” Did I hear the penny drop?
Station: Once you have worked out the bonus, you should be able to identify our 48-or-so stations. And since I’ve eliminated 3-or-more of them, there’s only 44-or-so left to look at.

C’mon folks! :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Oscar - Answered

Post by RobbieM »

Okay, it’s time for Oscar’s award ceremony! Thanks Oscar, take it away…

The first gong goes to Betwys-y-Coed, for the role of nicest-looking station.

The next gong goes to the category of Stations-With-Two-Hyphens-in-Their-Name, for being the best bonus of this round! (Well, I gave enough clues with 48-or-so, 47-or-so, ding-a-ling etc. 😊)

The next gongs go to those three stars who correctly guessed the station and bonus. Namely: trains 500, michael_churchill and DavidC.

And an extra bonus gong goes to trains 500, for highlighting to me that St Annes-on-the-Sea has three hyphens, whereas in my station list (downloaded from NRE some years back), the word ‘the’ is missed out, so my records showed it as being in the 49-or-so. Whereas it wasn’t, and the 49-or-so was only actually 48-or-so, and therefore…

• “Stop waffling, Robbie!”

Alright. Now, should I do the next round straightaway? Or leave you orphaned for a short time? Have no fear – Papa will be along soon… 😊
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Papa

Post by RobbieM »

Here he is! Could Station Papa be the daddy of nice-looking stations? When I visited, I even invited friends along to take this photo of me taking a photo of the train.

• Name Station Papa.
• Bonus: Papa has something in common with another 156-ish stations on the national network. Another of these stations can be found on the line between Rhymney and Cardiff. What is this feature?

So, that’s a photo of me taking a photo. Wouldn’t it be quirky if I had yet another friend who took a photo of this photo (of me taking a photo) being taken? Well, quirky is me all over, here it is.

Your PMs please! 😊
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by trains 500 »

bonus hint pls :lol: :D ..... cheers!!
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 27 May 2023, 18:04 bonus hint pls :lol: :D ..... cheers!!
Sure - will sort out hints for both station and bonus by the end of the day.

(Try and contain that excitement now...!) :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Papa - Hint

Post by RobbieM »

Here we go then with the hints for Papa. In a similar vein to Station Oscar, I’ll give the hint to the bonus first:

Bonus: Other stations within the other 156-ish include New Mills Central, Bridge of Allan, Bristol Temple Meads and Euxton Balshaw Lane.
Station: Once you have worked out the bonus, you should be able to identify our 156-ish stations. And since I’ve eliminated four of them, that’s only 152 or so left to look at. And there’s probably only one which fits the obvious clues in the picture.

C’mon folks! 😊
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Papa - closing soon

Post by RobbieM »

Well, Papa's getting tired and needs to sleep. I'll give him a few more days, then pack him off to Quebec...

(In other words - I'll answer this station and give the next one soon... :roll: )

Last chance for entries!
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Papa - answered

Post by RobbieM »

Well, isn’t it appropriate that I should wait until Fathers’ Day to answer Station Papa? 😊

Righto then. Did my deliberate trap confuse anyone following Station Oscar? Were you thrown by ‘156-ish’ into looking for stations with one hyphen in the name? If so, there’s very few of them anyway! One of them is Tir-Phil, on the line between Rhymney and Cardiff, hence me choosing that line for the decoy. But it’s a different station on that line that the bonus was referring to.

But before I reveal the bonus answer – firstly, let’s reveal Station Papa to be St Albans Abbey.

And by now, you may have realised that following Station Oscar’s bonus being ‘stations with two hyphens in their name’, the bonus to Station Papa is stations with two spaces in their name! Such as Lisvane and Thornhill, the actual station I was referring to on the Rhymney to Cardiff line.

Well done to trains500 and Michael Churchill for correct answers.

It’ll soon be time to take a trip to Quebec, folks. Passports at the ready… 😊
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Quebec

Post by RobbieM »

Here you go folks: to keep you occupied whilst I’m on holiday for a few weeks, here’s Station Quebec. It’s not in Canada, by the way. (Neither is my holiday.)

• Name Station Quebec.
Bonus: Head up the line to the next station north of Station Quebec. The name of this next station is an anagram of a word which describes something a locomotive does. What is this word (that a locomotive does)?

Have fun! I’ll be back online mid-July, and will answer your PMs then. Cheers! 😊
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Oooh, this one's easy (for once). I recognised the station straight away :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Quebec

Post by RobbieM »

Righto - back from holiday. Thanks for entries received so far. I'll give a few more days for more entries before I give the hint. I'm sure I'll be deluged with guesses...
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Quebec - Closing soon

Post by RobbieM »

A few more days for you to get your answers in. (Don't want to drag it out too long now, do I? :lol: )
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Quebec - Answered (at last)

Post by RobbieM »

Righto, the last few days have finally expired after two weeks or more. As usual, let’s start with the hint. Quebec isn’t the most suitable Canadian province for this station, Nova Scotia is. And ‘Nova Scotia’ translates as… ’New Scotland’.

So, Station Quebec is in Scotland. And it’s er… ‘new’. Or re-opened maybe! Yes, it’s on the recently-re-opened Borders Railway – and is Galashiels.

The bonus? The next station up the line is an anagram of something a locomotive does. Well, the next station is Stow, and the locomotive er… Tows! Of course it does.

Just two correct submissions this time. Well done to Tubeguru and Michael Churchill, getting both station and bonus correct.

So, Romeo is waiting in the wings. He’ll be coming soon! 😊
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Romeo

Post by RobbieM »

“Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Station Romeo?”
“I shall reveal the location whence I be found upon the correct guessing of numerous challengers of the Tube variety”.

(Hmmm. I’ll think leave the fancy writing thing to the great Will himself. :roll: )

• Name Station Romeo.
• Bonus: The first five letters of the name of this station are an anagram of food you may enjoy eating. What is this food?

Send forth thy communications unto myself via PM! (pigeon-mail…) :)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Done and done.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA