Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by RJSRdg »

The only 'writer' I could think of that was born within 9 miles of the station was John Lennon (as you hadn't specified a writer of literature, and knowing the ambiguity of some of your clues, it could have been a song writer!). Hence the use of Beatles titles in one of my messages! ;-)
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

D'oh!!! How didn't I realise that when I read it? Let's have a look:
RJSRdg wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 22:50 I might need a little help from my friends on that one. I'm sure if we come together, we can work it out.

But I'll get back to thinking about it - I wasn't born yesterday! It won't take any time at all. ;-)
What a numpty I am. Particularly as at least two other entrants suspected John Lennon too!

I think I'd just had a Hard Day's Night that evening. Something wasn't right. Help! Will I still be like this When I'm Sixty-Four? Every Little Thing I miss makes me ask these questions, Because... ...oh, I should just Let It Be... :? :?
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Bravo

Post by RobbieM »

Well, I hope everyone’s enjoying their pieces of birthday cake, along with the Beatles party games. And for the next game, on the anniversary of the date I set Station B, it’s time to set Station Bravo. You’ll see a bit more detail in this one that you did with Alpha.

• Name Station Bravo.
Bonus: Which city’s main cathedral can be found exactly 240½ miles from this station?

You need to be precise with the distance on the bonus question – under 240 miles or above 241 miles won’t suffice! The distance was measured using Google Maps (unfortunately Crow has priced himself out of the market…).

Answers to me as usual. Remember you can use a Carrier Pigeon if you wish. Though I understand your reluctance if he charges as much as Crow… 😐
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Nice-looking station! Charlie

Post by trains 500 »

Let’s get 2 going at once so here is station Charlie https://youtu.be/VxnohT-FLH0

I have a feeling one person in particular may get this immediately (we will see)
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I have another small suggestion.

Would it be possible for you to not do too many clues or hints that refer back to previous stations? Some of us don't have the time or the energy to trawl back through this entire thread to find something that may or may not be related to the current station (or indeed have the memory to remember them).
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 20:15 I have another small suggestion.

Would it be possible for you to not do too many clues or hints that refer back to previous stations? Some of us don't have the time or the energy to trawl back through this entire thread to find something that may or may not be related to the current station (or indeed have the memory to remember them).
Sorry, I'll try!...
trains 500 wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 20:06 Let’s get 2 going at once so here is station Charlie https://youtu.be/VxnohT-FLH0

I have a feeling one person in particular may get this immediately (we will see)
Well I didn't get Charlie as quick as I got Station Y-plus, but submitted an answer in the end, now confirmed as satisfactory.
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

I’m not quite sure satisfactory is suitable here teacher instead correct.

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 19:35 I’m not quite sure satisfactory is suitable here teacher instead correct.
Ha Ha! Thanks. Gold star to you, top pupil! :lol:

(Especially since you've just submitted the first correct answer to Station Bravo!)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

RobbieM wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 14:51
What a numpty I am. Particularly as at least two other entrants suspected John Lennon too!
Maybe I just had him on the brain as he and Paul gave their first public performance just down the road from my flat!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

RJSRdg wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 23:20
RobbieM wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 14:51
Maybe I just had him on the brain as he and Paul gave their first public performance just down the road from my flat!
The performance which had just four people in the audience?
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Bravo etc.

Post by RobbieM »

Back on topic - Station Bravo is still open. I've had first correct answers in, (both station and bonus). I'll leave it a few more days before giving the hint.

Also a reminder that Station Charlie is live (answers for this one to trains500).
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

trains 500 wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 20:06 here is station Charlie https://youtu.be/VxnohT-FLH0
look at the type of train it narrows it down. Also its not far from one of my previous stations.

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Bravo - Hints

Post by RobbieM »

Well, I guess you're ready for some hints for Station Bravo, so here you are:

Station: This is not a Parliamentary station, but a Parliamentary service calls at it.
Bonus: The “Cathedral-size” to “City-size” ratio is pretty big compared to most cities/cathedrals.

Hope these help a tad! :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Bravo finishing soon...

Post by RobbieM »

...probably Wednesday evening. Send any late answers by first-class pigeon to ensure they reach me in time.
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Bravo - Answered

Post by RobbieM »

Time’s up on Bravo. So the hint was “This is not a Parliamentary station, but a Parliamentary service passes through it.” And if like me, you jumped on a parliamentary train at Retford one Saturday last June, then travelled to Cleethorpes via the Brigg line, you’d’ve called at Station Bravo, which is Habrough. Though I actually took this photo the day before, when I travelled from Retford to Barton-on-Humber via Lincoln and Market Rasen. There was a long wait at Habrough, and sandwiches were consumed on the platform (once I’d remembered to remove my face mask).

And the bonus, a city with a cathedral which is 240½ miles from Habrough station? Well, with the “Cathedral-size” to “City-size” ratio being so large, we’re looking for the smallest city in the UK! And that is: St David's in Wales. Though a surprising number of other cathedrals come very close to the same distance from Habrough. Such as: Exeter – 242½ miles, Belfast – 239⅓, Lisburn – 242¼ miles, Amsterdam – 231 miles, Rotterdam – 230¼ miles, and Ghent – 244 miles. Some historic ecclesiastical bod was obviously planning very carefully when the central location for Habrough was being decided….

Well done (or 'Bravo!') to trains500 and tubeguru, for getting both the station and the bonus correct. And thanks to trains500 also for drawing my attention to Lisburn as another close bonus answer (I hadn’t spotted this one when I first made my list!).

Station Delta coming before the evening's out...