Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by tubeguru »

Station Kilo - it's a long weight ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 22:21 Station Kilo - it's a long weight ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been a bit preoccupied recently, so I thought I'd wait for another comment/submission before proceeding on this.

Okay, a few more days folks, I'll try and answer it at the weekend. If I can find time! :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Kilo - Answered

Post by RobbieM »

Finally the long weight is over. This round of the competition has taken so long it's spanned three Prime Ministers....

As usual, let’s start with the hint. Which gave the clue that the direct service from Blackpool North to Liverpool Lime Street passes through this photograph. And indeed it does! But not through station Kilo…

…’cos in the background you may spot another railway bridge. And even the OHLE above it (which enables our train to run from Blackpool to Liverpool). That’s where this train would be seen, as it approaches Wigan North Western. Which is just a stone’s throw from Station Kilo, which is Wigan Wallgate.

And the bonus? The sweet manufactured a short walk from the station? The William Santus factory is just off the right of my photo, and their most well-known treat is immortalised in this song by Mike Harding:

• "Uncle Joe’s Mint Balls keep you all aglow. ♫
    Give ’em to your grannie and watch the beggar go! ♬
    Away with coughs and sniffles, take a few in hand; ♫
    Suck ’em and see, you’ll agree ♬
    They’re the best in all the land!! ♫"

Yes, the bonus answer is an Uncle Joe’s Mint Ball! (Singular since I asked for ‘a sweet’ not ‘sweets’. Not that I’m pernickety or ’owt like that… :) )

Well done to trains500 and tubeguru for correct answers.

The next station might be a bit easier, I think. It’s the bonus which I’m more interested in. Probably Station Lima (unless anyone gets in there before me!) Coming in the next day or two…
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Knowing you, it'll be Wigan North Western ...

Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 09:51 Knowing you, it'll be Wigan North Western ...
Gaaah! Rumbled! Looks like I'll have to set Station Mike before I've even done Lima...
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Lima

Post by RobbieM »

Righto, here’s your next one, Station Lima. Probably pretty easy (but it’s not Wigan North Western, sorry tubeguru...).

• Name Station Lima.

The picture was taken a few weeks ago (the day Liz Truss resigned, to be precise). I’d been to a family wedding. But before I came home, I made an overnight detour just to travel to Station Lima. Several friends and colleagues had been urging me to do it, so I had to oblige. And they were very pleased when I messaged them from the station café, telling them I’d reached my destination successfully. So, knowing what you’ve gleaned about me over the years:

• Bonus: What was my visit to Station Lima so significant?

I’ll let you have as many tries as you like at the bonus, but who knows? You may get it first time.

I look forward to your PMs! 😊
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

your attempt to discuise the fact that this is a GWR class 150 is quite amusing :lol: :lol:
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station Lima

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 10:46 your attempt to discuise the fact that this is a GWR class 150 is quite amusing :lol: :lol:
I told you it would be easy! :)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Station Lima

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 11:50
trains 500 wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 10:46 your attempt to discuise the fact that this is a GWR class 150 is quite amusing :lol: :lol:
I told you it would be easy! :)
The easiest one for a while. Instantly recognisable.

Member of sweet FA
trains 500
Zone 4

Station Mike

Post by trains 500 »

https://youtu.be/cNLqjpIvM7U

First one from me for a while but have a backlog of images which need releasing. This one will either be easy or hard! PM answers as usual :D
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station Mike

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 14:26 https://youtu.be/cNLqjpIvM7U

First one from me for a while but have a backlog of images which need releasing. This one will either be easy or hard! PM answers as usual :D
Well, I wouldn't say easy!

I don't know whether I am brave or stupid, but I have submitted an answer... :?
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station Mike

Post by RobbieM »

RobbieM wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 21:57 I don't know whether I am brave or stupid, but I have submitted an answer... :?
Turns out it was 'brave' - the guess was correct.

I'll try to give hints for Station Lima in the next day or two.
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Lima - Hints

Post by RobbieM »

As promised - hints for Station Lima:

Station: Those colours look remarkably like Station V’s colours.
Bonus: I’d made a special trip to visit Barking Riverside station at the end of September. I did that specifically because I knew that there's a chance I might be reaching Station Lima in October.

:D
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Lima - Answered!

Post by RobbieM »

Okay, now closed folks! And well done to those who guessed Station Lima was Okehampton. Those being: tubeguru, trains500, Michael Churchill and Sam. And most of these also got the bonus too: Why was my visit so significant?

Well, the clue was I’d made a special trip to Barking Riverside a few weeks previously. As this station and branch had opened in July, I wanted to ‘tick it off’ quickly, as I’d already ticked off every other NR station apart from – Station Lima. So when I travelled into Okehampton station, that was it – for the first time, I could say I’ve travelled from/to/through every station on the National Rail network! Yes, I finally made it! For now at least.

To clarify the way I ‘play the game’: All NR stations with current, regular scheduled passenger services are now ticked off. I didn't initially set out to do all the stations per se (like Geoff), but want to travel all the routes (which obviously includes all the stations anyway...) I don't have to stop at every station, but must pass between, or along, its platforms. When a new station opens on a line I've already travelled, I don't need to re-visit it to tick it off. Some recent examples include Soham and Robroyston, and more recently Bond Street (opening just four days after my Okehampton visit).

But new stations on new or untravelled lines need to be visited (e.g. Barking Riverside). The next ones I need to tick off when they open will probably be Willenhall and Darlaston. (Though there are now regular passenger services on this route, so I may travel it before the stations open anyway.)

As for track-bashing, well yes, I'm continuing to do that. In August I booked on the Lumo 1448 from KX to Newcastle, just so I could travel the York Avoiding line. Never guess what? We were diverted through York station at the last minute... Grrrr! BUT – I’m having another shot at it this Wednesday, as I head up to Scotland for Christmas.

So, for your next challenge: should I set station November in December? Or wait until January? Yes, let’s do that. Have a break for a few weeks, and we’ll re-group when I’m back from Scotland.

Have a fantastic Christmas, folks! 😊
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Suggestion - can the two different station quizzes use different nomenclature systems, instead of sharing the phonetic alphabet as they do now?

Member of sweet FA