Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by tubeguru »

RJSRdg wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 22:58 I'm confused by the unit - it looks like a Desiro, but if it was there would be headlamps where the bicycle symbol is.
Identifying the class of train and the operator should be the obvious first step. Then, for me, it was just good old-fashioned graft to get the right station :lol:
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

For me, it was a case of travelling to the station and taking a photo. :lol:
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Tango - Hint

Post by RobbieM »

Station Tango is named after a fizzy drink, as I’m sure you’re aware. There’s another well-known fizzy drink which has a metallic connection. It is manufactured just under 21 miles from Station Tango.
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Tango - closing soon…

Post by RobbieM »

…it’s running out of fizz. A couple more days for answers, folks.
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Tango - Answered

Post by RobbieM »

Well, time’s up. I trust I’d just left enough clues in the photo to show you that Station Tango was very likely a Scotrail terminus. One with a short name. And when I gave the hint, it should’ve been easy enough to work out I was referring to Irn Bru. (Not a great drink for haemochromatotics like me… 😐)

Irn Bru is manufactured in a factory near Cumbernauld, and using your Google Radius* app, a quick search of stations just under 21 miles from the factory should’ve led you to Lanark.

And the bonus? Almost everyone who entered managed to list at least three of the following six stations which also begin with L and end with K. They are: Lostock, Longbeck, Liphook, Laurencekirk, Langbank and Ladybank.

Well done to…tubeguru, trains500, RJSRdg and greatkingrat. You can all celebrate with a drink – of Tango, Irn Bru, or something with a little more ‘metal’…

Fancy dressing up? I’m sure those of you who work, or volunteer, for railways always enjoy putting on your Station Uniform. (I think that includes at least three of our winners listed above!) We’ll be dressing up very soon…

* I made that up. There is no Google Radius app... :lol:
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Uniform

Post by RobbieM »

Fancy dress time is here, party-goers! Put on your Station Uniform now. Not too tricky, I hope. The bonus may be a bit harder.

• Name Station Uniform.

I took this photo in January 2022. The yellow railing you can see under the bridge looks reasonably new. So for the bonus:

• What is the connection between this new railing, and the late racing commentator Murray Walker?

A bizarre question if ever there was one! Answers by PM, please! 😊
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Uniform - Hints

Post by RobbieM »

Station: I took the photo of Station Kilo photo about an hour before I took this photo of Station Uniform.

Bonus: Oops! That’ll be 6 points on your licence, Mr Train Driver! You know you shouldn't do that while driving...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Station Uniform - Hints

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 21:46 Bonus: Oops! That’ll be 6 points on your licence, Mr Train Driver! You know you shouldn't do that while driving...
Points on train drivers' licences. There's an idea LOL

Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Uniform - Closing soon

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 13 Nov 2023, 09:27Points on train drivers' licences. There's an idea LOL
I won't ask how many you would have accumulated... :lol:

A few days remaining for Uniform - then it'll be time to put it in the wash... PMs please!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Station Uniform - Closing soon

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 17:47
tubeguru wrote: 13 Nov 2023, 09:27Points on train drivers' licences. There's an idea LOL
I won't ask how many you would have accumulated... :lol:

A few days remaining for Uniform - then it'll be time to put it in the wash... PMs please!
I mean, we DO have licences, but there's no such thing as a penalty system for being naughty. That's dealt with in a different way.

Member of sweet FA
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

Tea and biscuits - that’s what we call it
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Uniform - answered

Post by RobbieM »

Righto, Uniform’s ready for the dry cleaners. From the hint, you’d probably worked out I wasn’t too far from Wigan Wallgate? Like a short-ish train ride away? So well done to everyone who spotted that Station Uniform is Kirkby. Of course, it’s no longer the end of the line (or two lines) since Headbolt Lane station opened recently, but they still put a reasonably new railing up under the bridge, despite the fact it would be removed to connect the two ends of the line together.

But why did they need to put a new railing up anyway? That’s the subject of the bonus – the Murray Walker connection. Cast your mind back to 13th March 2021…

…that’s the day that this beloved commentator of Motor Racing went to the great Silverstone Circuit in the sky. He passed on. It was all over the media that day, and the social media, of course. Such as Whatsapp (other SM platforms are available…). One message sent concerned Walker, and simply read “A great commentator”. The trouble is, you shouldn’t really be sending messages like that while you’re driving a train. But that’s what one Merseyrail driver did, and therefore failed to slow down sufficiently before approaching the buffers at Kirkby…

…and you can see the result (and read the full story) by clicking here.

So this is the reason the yellow rail had to be replaced. Along with much of the walkway, of course. Well done to those who spotted that the Kirkby Rail Crash happened on the same day that Murray Walker died, but that wasn’t enough for the bonus. I needed you to specify that Murray Walker’s death indirectly caused the crash!

Congratulations to tubeguru, michael_churchill and trains500 for correctly guessing the station. But only tubeguru got the bonus fully right, so he’s the real victor! Speaking of Victor, stand by for another station coming soon….
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Station Uniform - answered

Post by RJSRdg »

RobbieM wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 20:44 Speaking of Victor, stand by for another station coming soon….
I don't belieeeeeeeve it!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station Uniform - answered

Post by RobbieM »

RJSRdg wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 21:10
RobbieM wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 20:44 Speaking of Victor, stand by for another station coming soon….
I don't belieeeeeeeve it!
You know, I was toying with the idea of taking a trip to Shawford station to photograph it, so I could use it for Victor (as this is where Mr Meldrew was finished off). But I haven't. So you can rule Shawford out of the runnings for Station Victor.
RobbieM
All Zones

Station Victor

Post by RobbieM »

Righto, another one for y’all, Station Victor – the one for champions.

• Name Station Victor.
Bonus: Station shares a binique* feature with just one other station on the National network. What is this feature, and what is the other station?

PMs please!

* If ‘binique’ isn’t a real word, then it should be. It’s like ‘unique’, but applies to two things, rather than just one. At least in my mind that’s what ‘binique’ means…. :roll: