Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by RJSRdg »

That rules out the Isle of Wight, then ;-)
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'K' - Hints...

Post by RobbieM »

RJSRdg wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 20:44 That rules out the Isle of Wight, then ;-)
Yes, I will offer that one for free. That rules out eight from two and a half thousandish...!

Okay, thank you for your patience and hard work. It may have been frustrating for some, but 'experience is what you get when you don't get what you want'!

It's now time for proper hints for Station K, and its bonus:

* For the station: How many hyphens?
* For the bonus: "Aaaarrghh, me hearties!"

Ah, the penny may be dropping at last. I hope you may get the idea of how I could have put you off the scent, without actually lying...

A few days left to PM me. I'll give the answers at the weekend! 😀
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'K' - Answered

Post by RobbieM »

Right-y-ho, then! Station ‘K’ is finished. Let’s get on with the answers. I’ll do the station and bonus separately.

The station hint was “How many hyphens?” Hopefully you deduced it would be quite a lot. And indeed, the station has three of them. There are only four stations in the country (as far as I’m aware) which contain three hyphens. They are: Chapel-en-le-Frith, Hall-i'-th'-Wood, Harrow-on-the-Hill, and our mystery station, which is: Walton-on-the-Naze.

Well done to Steevooo, trains 500 and Tubeguru who all got the station right. And pretty quickly too. But what about the bonus?

Thank you for persevering and working hard on the bonus. I’m sure you’ll look back to the latter half of April 2021 with fondness, even if you were tearing your hair out at the time. Who was it who said “A mind stretched to accommodate a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions”? It’s been a delightful education for me too, as I’ve learnt a lot from your submissions about various railway lines which I wasn’t previously aware of. So, thank you. But anyway…

…as you may have guessed from my ‘sleight-of-write’, I led you up the garden path a bit. The 1960s were indeed a bad time for the railways, but as for the stations opening up, well, er, I didn’t say they were railway stations did I? Oops, how careless of me… 😊

So what were they? They weren’t found in Suffolk, Essex or Kent. In the pre-hint, I encouraged you to look in another direction. Not inland, but out to sea! The actual hint? "Aaaarrghh, me hearties!" It's the call of a pirate (as you will know if you've every been in conversation with one...) And just outside British territorial waters, this area is where you’d have found the bulk of offshore Pirate Radio Stations. This map will give you an idea of their location. And it’s worth reading the history, if you don’t know much about them.

Top marks to:
• Steeeeevooooooooo, who correctly guessed Pirate radio stations before the hint was given.

Also, well done to:
• Tubeguru, who didn’t submit the correct answer until after the hint was given, but must be given credit for guessing the decommissioned Nuclear Power Stations of Sizewell A and Bradwell, which actually could also be a valid answer to the bonus!

Thank you for playing. Fancy another round? I know you do! Especially when it contains more than one bonus question. Coming up sometime soon….
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

Pirate Radio Stations - i thought this was a railway forum.
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 01 May 2021, 13:52 Pirate Radio Stations - i thought this was a railway forum.
On the whole - but you'll see the Quizzes and Games section contains quite a lot of off-topic quizzes. Just for fun! :D

Anyway - nothing so off-the-wall for the next challenge, coming soon...
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'L'

Post by RobbieM »

Now that the weather is warming up (or trying to…), here’s a reminder of colder times – a picture-postcard photo of Station L. I took it on a chilly morning a few years back, whilst waiting for a train (which never came, but that’s another story…).

‘Twas quite a cold snap! 24 hours later, the view from the bridge looked pretty much the same. However, add another 24 hours, and the view would be somewhat different.

• Name Station L.
• Bonus Question 1: What happened to change the scenery so dramatically soon after my departure?
• Bonus Question 2: Identify the precise date I took the photo.

PM your answers as usual. (Incidentally, the answer to Bonus Question 1 isn’t ‘The snow melted!’)
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

looks my my A* in Geography may come into use here.

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station 'L'

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 01 May 2021, 14:44 looks my my A* in Geography may come into use here.
A* - is that 'A snowflake'? Plenty of those in the picture! :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I didn't get an A* in geography, but that didn't matter here.

Answers submitted.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it? Station M

Post by trains 500 »

whilst I scratch my head at the boni (the plural of bonuses?) of station L, its about time I released a new challenge. So here is station M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XGEio5Bros

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it? Station M

Post by tubeguru »

trains 500 wrote: 03 May 2021, 10:50 whilst I scratch my head at the boni (the plural of bonuses?) of station L, its about time I released a new challenge. So here is station M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XGEio5Bros
When did you take that photo?

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Actually, never mind - I've got it :)

Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 03 May 2021, 12:35 Actually, never mind - I've got it :)
Me too. Took a bit longer than stations E and J, but got there. Will submit answer in a minute or so...
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'L' Hints...

Post by RobbieM »

So class, pay attention! We have two special guest appearances to present our hints for Station L. Who could they be? Well firstly, flying in directly from around 500 BC, it’s Chinese philosopher, Confucius! I’m sure you’ll make him very welcome. So, the hint for the station – Confucius he say:
  • “This comedian no pay tax? Many people cross over this!”
Thank you, Mr Confucius. Now our second special guest philosopher comes from Greece, around 400 BC. Yes, it’s Socrates, who’ll give us the hint to Bonus 1. Socrates he say:
  • “Whoops! I really don’t think the driver wanted to do that!”
Isn’t it exciting? Just like Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure! Oh, and the hint for Bonus 2, I’ll round it off:
  • “When did ‘Whoops’ happen?”
A few more days left; let's see those PMs flooding in…
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

That Confucius hint is the easiest one I've seen from you so far.

Member of sweet FA