quizzes and games

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: quizzes and games

Post by RobbieM »

RJSRdg wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 18:21 Though I'm intrigued as to why you chose it to be the datum point!
Perhaps my first hint may give a clue, when combined with the fact that you had been having a go at this competition! :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

RobbieM wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 20:47 ...and here it is:

Supposing, hypothetically, you were visiting relatives in Saundersfoot. One day, you decided to head down to the beach with the family pet crow, and release it.

The crow would have to fly at least 59 miles before it reached my mystery station.
But could do it in under 61 miles... (That's my final hint!)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

My first thought from the 59 miles clue was Borth, but that wasn't one of the stations on the South Wales Challenge.

So, back to the Cardiff area - Pontyclun, Quaker's Yard, Treforest, Penrhiwceiber and Abercynon have all fallen foul of bus shelter engineering and whilst Pontypridd has proper buildings, they don't look anything like the one in the photo, nor does the skyline look right....
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

So close, keep going! Check your miles are big enough. I used Google-measure-distance as my tape measure....
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

So did I...
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

I'll probably close this competition tomorrow, but an interesting aside:

I've just requalified as a First Aider (about half an hour ago). During the course we were played a training video for CPR. It was very interesting, but I have to confess whilst watching it I found it hard to pay attention; I was distracted...

...because it was filmed on a station. And my brain was spending most of its energy trying to work out which station it was! Force of habit! :D

By the end of the clip I'd worked out it was Plymouth. Maybe Tubeguru was hiding in the background...?
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

in the meantime this one of mine is still outstanding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnIBQeyaXZ0
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Ah. Must have missed that one! I will have a go at it when I can.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

RobbieM wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 18:04 Ah. Must have missed that one! I will have a go at it when I can.
...and I have just submitted an answer. (I will also mention this in the original thread.)

Now to reveal the answer to mine...
Last edited by RobbieM on 13 Feb 2021, 22:48, edited 2 times in total.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Thank you all for playing! All the answers I received were correct. And in order of submission, the winners are as follows:

(1) trains 500

Well done! And I can now identify our mystery station, situated at a distance of 60.21 miles from Saudersfoot beach...
...to be Rhymney!

Having arrived at Rhymney on the All South Wales challenge, I quickly snapped this photo before catching the bus to Merthyr Tydfil, ready to come down the next valley. Ah, memories!

I have a couple of new stations lined up to guess, but I'll put them in this new thread, so the title is appropriate.

Thanks! :D
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

Does anyone know what the record is for successfully completing the London Metro Memory challenge? I've just done it in 28 mins 29.566 seconds. I don't know whether that's particularly fast or not. Probably isn't but would be interested to know.

https://london.metro-memory.com/
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

ANDY_JS wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 23:26 Does anyone know what the record is for successfully completing the London Metro Memory challenge? I've just done it in 28 mins 29.566 seconds. I don't know whether that's particularly fast or not. Probably isn't but would be interested to know.

I did know once, but I've forgotten.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 17:43
ANDY_JS wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 23:26 Does anyone know what the record is for successfully completing the London Metro Memory challenge? I've just done it in 28 mins 29.566 seconds. I don't know whether that's particularly fast or not. Probably isn't but would be interested to know.

I did know once, but I've forgotten.
:lol:
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I guess the fastest time is more down to how quickly you can type, rather than how well you know the network.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

greatkingrat wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 18:14 I guess the fastest time is more down to how quickly you can type, rather than how well you know the network.
True. Similar to the way that how fast one can do the Tube Challenge is significantly influenced by how quickly you can walk/run between stations I suppose. How fast you can move between stations doesn't really have anything to do with how good you are at planning out a route, etc, but there isn't a feasible way of eliminating that aspect of it from the challenge.