Over a year since last R15 / Tube meet up

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Over a year since last R15 / Tube meet up

Post by Going Underground »

Wow time flies eh, sadly it's now over a year since our little Tube family all gathered together back on 11th January 2020 for R15 round 3 :cry:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Golf
Zone 4

Re: Over a year since last R15 / Tube meet up

Post by Golf »

I,m hoping that the grand reopening this saturday 30th january will kick start a defiance of enough is enough you cant keep business shut with no information of reopening and no hope! we have to earn money kids have to be educated unless the government is prepared to give us 100% of our wages in order for us all to sit on are arses indoors. no work im a risk if i walk out of my front door to a park but im not if providing a service JOKE!

Its already happening in europe the civil war it happen here soon more people are fed up and cannot take anymore. and we should be allowed back on the tube and meet up like old times just like an arrogant covid loving tik tok user. i be up for any such gathering.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Going Underground wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 15:15 Wow time flies eh, sadly it's now over a year since our little Tube family all gathered together back on 11th January 2020 for R15 round 3 :cry:
Yep, how time flies. There was some suggestion face coverings may be made permanent on the tube, which would surely mean the end of tube challenge altogether?
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Why would it mean the end of tube challenging?
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

al wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 17:54 Why would it mean the end of tube challenging?
I was thinking that too.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

tubeguru wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 17:56
I was thinking that too.
and me... :?
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

As someone who struggles wearing a mask for prolonged periods of time (but not enough to be exempt!), I think it would likely be the end of Tube Challenging for me, especially if they were also required on the trains to/from London.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Indeed it will no doubt impact some individuals and their ability to do the tube challenge, but I fail to see how it would mean the end of tube challenging altogether, as per the original claim?
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

I'm not sure how many of us would want to challenge with, potentially, not taking a mask off whilst running and sprinting? I know I would find it difficult.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

I wore a mask the whole time in stations/trains for my RSL challenge in the summer. Tbh I forgot I was wearing it after a while. Though I guess my sprint is nothing more than a fast amble compared to some of you guys.

Miss you all! Have everything crossed that the tube Olympics can go ahead this summer.
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

As we are forced to wear them all day at work for the zero good they do (a droplet of the alleged virus is 1000th the size of a human hair so that's not going to escape through the fabric then) and I still run twice a week I find myself out of breath after briskly walking one flight of stairs....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
lucybaell
Zone 1

Post by lucybaell »

Going Underground wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 12:15 (a droplet of the alleged virus is 1000th the size of a human hair so that's not going to escape through the fabric then)
Fact check: A molecule of COVID-19 is quoted to be approximately 100 nanometers large. A human hair is 70 000 nanometers large. 70 000/ 100 = 700 so your approximation of the virus being 1/1000th the size of a human hair is reasonably accurate.

However, in your infinite wisdom as an armchair epidemiologist, you've failed to remember that viruses (outside of lab conditions) are always bonded to something larger. The larger droplets that you breath out when you're talking (or in your case, spewing misinformation) can be over 1000 nanometers large, especially if the droplets are visible. All medical grade or cloth face coverings have a pore size of 100 - 300 nanometers meaning these 1000nm+ droplets are stopped in their tracks, and that's even before we get into electrostatic filtration whereby the even smaller droplets are held in suspension by the static between the fibers of the material.
Going Underground wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 12:15 I still run twice a week I find myself out of breath after briskly walking one flight of stairs....
I'm curious as to how you've come to the conclusion that a face covering can't stop a virus (100 nanometers) but can stop you from having a good supply of air (oxygen is 0.3 nanometers, nitrogen is also about 0.3 nanometers, carbon dioxide is 0.33 nanometers). Either you have to go all in on face coverings being good for nothing, cant even block a virus that's 100nm large, or go all in on face coverings making it hard for you to breath because they block too much air.

You can't have both facts be true, and if you want to say face coverings block nothing then you'll have to chalk your shortness of breath up to something else.

But hey... you know what shortness of breath is a common symptom of... :wink:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

lucybaell wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 15:09
Going Underground wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 12:15 (a droplet of the alleged virus is 1000th the size of a human hair so that's not going to escape through the fabric then)
Fact check: A molecule of COVID-19 is quoted to be approximately 100 nanometers large. A human hair is 70 000 nanometers large. 70 000/ 100 = 700 so your approximation of the virus being 1/1000th the size of a human hair is reasonably accurate.

However, in your infinite wisdom as an armchair epidemiologist, you've failed to remember that viruses (outside of lab conditions) are always bonded to something larger. The larger droplets that you breath out when you're talking (or in your case, spewing misinformation) can be over 1000 nanometers large, especially if the droplets are visible. All medical grade or cloth face coverings have a pore size of 100 - 300 nanometers meaning these 1000nm+ droplets are stopped in their tracks, and that's even before we get into electrostatic filtration whereby the even smaller droplets are held in suspension by the static between the fibers of the material.
Going Underground wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 12:15 I still run twice a week I find myself out of breath after briskly walking one flight of stairs....
I'm curious as to how you've come to the conclusion that a face covering can't stop a virus (100 nanometers) but can stop you from having a good supply of air (oxygen is 0.3 nanometers, nitrogen is also about 0.3 nanometers, carbon dioxide is 0.33 nanometers). Either you have to go all in on face coverings being good for nothing, cant even block a virus that's 100nm large, or go all in on face coverings making it hard for you to breath because they block too much air.

You can't have both facts be true, and if you want to say face coverings block nothing then you'll have to chalk your shortness of breath up to something else.

I need to get a like button installed on this forum. :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

tubeguru wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 18:19
lucybaell wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 15:09

I need to get a like button installed on this forum. :)
+1
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

I respect lucy for being for what looks like she is a very clever person. Mask wearing evidence is debatable some good and some bad for wearing and non wearing.

All i can say it does change the way u inhale its not natural leading to respiratory problems down the line. It should be limited for short periods and should not be mandatory.

And i can say this the people that are fearful of the virus the ones that constantly praise the government follow even the really stupid rules. Stick these stupid unreliable tests up their noses and give them the stats that they constantly lie with and politicians dont follow the rules themselves. I hope this saturday coming u see businesses say no more reopen because they cant keep being shut as they be out of business soon anyway. And give the government a good kick up the arse.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once