Evidence Requirements

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
stepneygreen05
Zone 2

Evidence Requirements

Post by stepneygreen05 »

I was thinking about attempting the Tube Challenge, and I was wondering how much evidence would be required to have my attempt recognised by members of the forum.
Golf
Zone 4

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by Golf »

none at all if you say you have done we will believe you unless your first name is ******** and you say done it in 8 hours and 4minutes.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

I still try to maintain the list of top times for the FNC. Very occasionally, if I think someone's account of a completion doesn't add up (e.g how was Olympia done?), I may send them a PM for an explanation before adding them to the list. Provided the account is credible, we have to rely on people's honesty.
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

Nigel wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 08:18 I still try to maintain the list of top times for the FNC. Very occasionally, if I think someone's account of a completion doesn't add up (e.g how was Olympia done?), I may send them a PM for an explanation before adding them to the list. Provided the account is credible, we have to rely on people's honesty.
hence above comment its amazing after all these years the name ******** is still blanked :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tube olympic winner once
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Golf wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 09:43
Nigel wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 08:18 I still try to maintain the list of top times for the FNC. Very occasionally, if I think someone's account of a completion doesn't add up (e.g how was Olympia done?), I may send them a PM for an explanation before adding them to the list. Provided the account is credible, we have to rely on people's honesty.
hence above comment its amazing after all these years the name ******** is still blanked :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
To be honest, there aren't many regular users of the forum who know who ******** is now, so even unblocking it would leave people none the wiser as to who you're talking about.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Along the same lines, has anybody on the boards done it for charity and did you collect any evidence for proof
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

jrparkin wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 10:42 Along the same lines, has anybody on the boards done it for charity and did you collect any evidence for proof
About 15 to 20 times and no....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

there was a regular children in need attempt perhaps this year may be a good idea to reignite.
tube olympic winner once
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Going Underground wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 12:43
jrparkin wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 10:42 Along the same lines, has anybody on the boards done it for charity and did you collect any evidence for proof
Did you wear anything that showed you were doing it for charity. I'm not intending to go all out on a charity outfit just a badge on my shirt/coat
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

jrparkin wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 14:47
Going Underground wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 12:43
Did you wear anything that showed you were doing it for charity. I'm not intending to go all out on a charity outfit just a badge on my shirt/coat
We got some great Pudsey CiN tube t-shairts printed but I lack the IT skills to post a photo for you :(
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

On my attempts I just kept a log more for my own benefit for future planning.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

The reason for me taking a log was a three step process

1) I needed to know where I was going (since I don't live in London)
2) It would serve as a record to look at in future if I so required

It was then I decided that if I was going to do this I might as well do it for charity and use the logbook as evidence that I'd done it. Although not officially required I'm a bit leery about people giving me money without supplying them any proof
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

jrparkin wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 10:27
It was then I decided that if I was going to do this I might as well do it for charity and use the logbook as evidence that I'd done it. Although not officially required I'm a bit leery about people giving me money without supplying them any proof
We did take money if offered on our may CiN attempts - but in the main if people expressed an interest we hand out "flyers" with the link to our just giving page
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

The problem is most people would struggle to find someone willing to be an independent adjudicator to stand on the platform at Amersham, Heathrow, Upminster or Morden at 4:45 in the morning, which is apparently what you have to do to fulfil the official rules.

Also, are you supposed to film the whole thing these days, instead of just take a few photographs? You'd have to have a camera fixed on your shirt for 16 hours. Wouldn't the batteries run out?
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

ANDY_JS wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 02:07 The problem is most people would struggle to find someone willing to be an independent adjudicator to stand on the platform at Amersham, Heathrow, Upminster or Morden at 4:45 in the morning, which is apparently what you have to do to fulfil the official rules.

Also, are you supposed to film the whole thing these days, instead of just take a few photographs? You'd have to have a camera fixed on your shirt for 16 hours. Wouldn't the batteries run out?
Yes you now have to video whole attempt, photograph every station, keep a full log and get witness statements at least 1 per hour. And also have a person independent of the attempt to start/stop the master stopwatch which they are meant to look after for the duration of the attempt. This now makes solo attempts at the record almost impossible.

So the essential kit list now has to include 2 cameras, batteries and memory cards for both to enable continuous filming.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.