tube challenge book

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Golf
Zone 4

Re: tube challenge book

Post by Golf »

That brings up an interesting question TUBE OLYMPICS seeing as the games are going ahead this year are the delayed tube olympics going ahead!
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
svrsig
Zone 1

Post by svrsig »

Golf wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 23:20
So next - and i recommend this as a starting point for all future tube challengers- first get a map of the underground. It doesnt matter if it doesnt include dlr,overground just save it into a computer and use the paint function which all computers have.
An alternative is to use a computer-based approach. I have written an application that allows you to work through the challenge using the Underground network (and timetable) as at November 1989. It allows you to save an itinary and to print it out. It provides a selection of station to station transfers by various means including car and bus.

The application runs under Windows and under RISC OS and can be downloaded from here: http://www.svrsig.org/software/LT.htm and an animated view of a 17h 4m attempt is also shown. Using this software I have got the time down to 16h 42m. Fitting in Ongar, Aldwych and Shoreditch as well as the extremities of the Met line at the right time of day were the principal challenges.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

You could mention that day in February 2009, when you spotted a couple of guys acting strangely at Finchley Central Station. That turned out to be me and my friend Nick, on our first, (and so far, only) FNC, and it was good to make your acquaintance.

Apparently, we, the novices, taught you, the experts, something important about tube challenging that day. What was it? One of the most important subjects to be aware of on FNC planning...

...that there were toilets at Finchley Central, which I gather you didn't know about until then!
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

svrsig wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 20:39
Golf wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 23:20
So next - and i recommend this as a starting point for all future tube challengers- first get a map of the underground. It doesnt matter if it doesnt include dlr,overground just save it into a computer and use the paint function which all computers have.
An alternative is to use a computer-based approach. I have written an application that allows you to work through the challenge using the Underground network (and timetable) as at November 1989. It allows you to save an itinary and to print it out. It provides a selection of station to station transfers by various means including car and bus.

The application runs under Windows and under RISC OS and can be downloaded from here: http://www.svrsig.org/software/LT.htm and an animated view of a 17h 4m attempt is also shown. Using this software I have got the time down to 16h 42m. Fitting in Ongar, Aldwych and Shoreditch as well as the extremities of the Met line at the right time of day were the principal challenges.
i was refering to the fact that u can draw ur route on a map and then go and do the more complicated stuff to which u were refering too.
tube olympic winner once
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

RobbieM wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 23:19 You could mention that day in February 2009, when you spotted a couple of guys acting strangely at Finchley Central Station. That turned out to be me and my friend Nick, on our first, (and so far, only) FNC, and it was good to make your acquaintance.

Apparently, we, the novices, taught you, the experts, something important about tube challenging that day. What was it? One of the most important subjects to be aware of on FNC planning...

...that there were toilets at Finchley Central, which I gather you didn't know about until then!
yes well i havent got up to that point yet in book i suppose its never really come up i have never either needed the toilet or had a wait long for the shuttle.
tube olympic winner once