Post Covid FNC

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Iain
All Zones

Re: Post Covid FNC

Post by Iain »

trains 500 wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 16:27 And that 16-20 mins could be saved by not doing this run. It's too far even if a bus is used
The trouble is that if you don't do the run/bus/whatever then you'll likely lose time elsewhere due to double backs etc. It's a question of which is bigger for you. For a quick runner the transfer is quicker, but for a 16-20 minute transfer I suspect it's not as clear cut.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Two small enquiries

The Witness Form - which I understand has to be separate from the logbook. Is there a specific bit of 'legalese' that goes at the top or can I make my own up. I was thinking something along the lines of; 'The following undersigned individuals confirm they witnessed (name) attempt on (date) to visit all 270 London Underground stations within a single operating day

Food Etiquette - I've had mixed information about this one. One saying yes you can eat on the tube providing it isn't strong flavours and another saying I shouldn't do it at all. I'm one of those people who will probably not eat on the train if there is a risk I'm going to get snarled at
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Food - pick your moment! You will have plenty of virtually empty carriages at different times during the day to eat in peace.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Around the Hainault Loop was always a good time to eat. I normally keep most food to snack bars and other high energy foods I avoided chocolate as it normally became a mess. And carried as much water as was comfy to carry. If you have support during the day get somebody to bring you some comfort food such as a McD’s once all the running is complete.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

or on the c2c back from upminster its slightly less awkward eating on a NR train rather than a tube

anyways im sure youre get more strangle looks running and pushing past people at 100mph than eating
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

c2c back from Upminster gives you about 14 minutes - if you can time it to get the c2c into Upminster then you have a long slow trip back in on a District train

If you're carrying food then pick something that'll stand being shaken about - protein bars/flapjacks are pretty good, and you may like to mix in something savoury. Woodford has a good snacks place if you have a few minutes wait there
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Iain wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 11:16 c2c back from Upminster gives you about 14 minutes - if you can time it to get the c2c into Upminster then you have a long slow trip back in on a District train

If you're carrying food then pick something that'll stand being shaken about - protein bars/flapjacks are pretty good, and you may like to mix in something savoury. Woodford has a good snacks place if you have a few minutes wait there
That is an interesting point actually. My planning was originally around getting the C2C into West Ham not into Upminster. Another example of 'get the first train' to keep moving
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I wouldn't be keen to hang around for eight minutes at West Ham, letting several District trains go.

There are lots of things on the network that you might view as good tactics, but you'll do well to time everything to take advantages of all of them on one route.

My very first run with Andi, we were riding the District all the way out from Aldgate East - then he spotted a c2c that was off timetable pulling in. Cue a massive sprint down and up the stairs! Be prepared to make changes as you go.
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

Iain wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 12:55 I wouldn't be keen to hang around for eight minutes at West Ham, letting several District trains go.

then he spotted a c2c that was off timetable pulling in. Cue a massive sprint down and up the stairs! Be prepared to make changes as you go.
picture this - just made the train without looking at the board where it is stopping the doors close then the onboard announcment says next stop laindon,lol

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

Iain wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 11:16
Woodford has a good snacks place if you have a few minutes wait there
i dont think may of us have the money to pay for overpriced kisok stuff if you are talking about the one on the platform

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I was, yes. I usually get a coffee there if I have time. I guess you could carry a flask for hot drinks.
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

flask is heavy though

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
Golf
Zone 4

Post by Golf »

Iain wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 12:55 I wouldn't be keen to hang around for eight minutes at West Ham, letting several District trains go.

There are lots of things on the network that you might view as good tactics, but you'll do well to time everything to take advantages of all of them on one route.

My very first run with Andi, we were riding the District all the way out from Aldgate East - then he spotted a c2c that was off timetable pulling in. Cue a massive sprint down and up the stairs! Be prepared to make changes as you go.
That trick works better at barking as cross platform but can work at west ham as well.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by guinness)
1 time paris record holder
zone 1 winner 2009,2012,2023
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

trains 500 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 13:08
Iain wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 11:16
Woodford has a good snacks place if you have a few minutes wait there
i dont think may of us have the money to pay for overpriced kisok stuff if you are talking about the one on the platform
I haven’t used it in a while but the prices were quite reasonable. And decent toilets on the platform as well.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Just as importantly as where you get food from are the places where there are toilets as that may affect when you choose to eat and drink. The C2C train is an obvious one, as is Chesham but Northwick Park, Park Royal, Woodford and Finchley Central are all potentially useful as are several others.
- Andrew