London Reconnections 2018 Christmas Quiz

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

London Reconnections 2018 Christmas Quiz

Post by GuyBarry »

Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
DavidC
Zone 6

Re: London Reconnections 2018 Christmas Quiz

Post by DavidC »

I certainly haven't submitted an entry yet, but I think 3/8/10/11 could be (comparatively) nice gentle ones, 7/13 could be time-consuming drudgery, 15 could be disproportionately annoying, 19 could be genuinely interesting (I am assuming a D....... or B......... connection) and 20 could turn out to be be both amusing and interesting ...
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I got 11 almost straight off, although there's one detail on the sign that left me scratching my head until I checked TfL's traffic updates!

So far I think I've got answers to 5, 8, 10, 11, 14, 16 and 20, plus one possible for 7. 14 is particularly esoteric I think.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I've got 5 saints for Q7. Q4 isn't the obvious answer.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

11. The roadsign is wrong (and I mean the roadsign that is there is wrong, which was my misgiving after getting it immediately, as (and I don't think I'm give too much away) the only bit that is the correct colour on that sign is the white bit with the NR symbol in it.

I have an Email ready to go, with my answers, and explaining fully why this is wrong, and will post up here after the answers have been published.#

I've listed all the Saints stations, and then my answers, and missed one with a pair off my final list! I also got five with some help from a list of all NR stations!
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

A Challenge wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 17:54 11. The roadsign is wrong (and I mean the roadsign that is there is wrong, which was my misgiving after getting it immediately, as (and I don't think I'm give too much away) the only bit that is the correct colour on that sign is the white bit with the NR symbol in it.
I don't understand. The image is clearly just digitally altered from a photograph of the actual sign. There are even trees and a building in the background. How can it be the wrong colour? It's the same colour as the actual sign in Google Street View.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

DrainBrain wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 21:33 How can it be the wrong colour? It's the same colour as the actual sign in Google Street View.
Signs with a green background are only supposed to be used on Primary Routes. The sign in question is at a location inside the boundary of the London inner ring road, within which there are no Primary Routes, so it should be a white-backed sign.

It threw me for exactly that reason.

DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

OK. Now I understand.

It does seem like every sign on and around that junction has a green background.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

They are indeed all wrong, for the reasons given by GuyBarry, though it appears to be the only junction in London that's wrong (in that way anyway). Anyway, if you want incorrect signs, try driving through Guildford!
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000