Bus darts

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RJSRdg
All Zones

Bus darts

Post by RJSRdg »

Now, here's an idea for a (real-life, not forum) game.

Two players stand by the side of a road which has plenty of different buses along it and each starts with a score of 301 or 501.

The first player calls out the route numbers of the first three buses he sees. If a number is less than 21, or is 25 ("outer bull") or 50 ("inner bull"), that number gets deducted from the player's score. Any other buses count as missing the board.

If two or three buses with the same route numbers (less than 21) arrive consecutively, these count as "doubles" or "trebles" and the player gets to count an extra bus (or two) as he has not used up all three "darts".

As in normal darts, players must finish on a double and can go "bust".

Obviously the game should be played on the Number 1 bus route!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Iain
All Zones

Re: Bus darts

Post by Iain »

I don't think you need to play it on the one bus route - there are other ways to get the 1 in 301 such as 11, 7 and 4, and so on. It might make finishing easier I guess
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

There are some situations from which it would be impossible to finish, though. For instance, if only the 4, 7 and 11 were running on the route then I think I'm right in saying it would be impossible to make 17.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

True, but maybe that could be part of the skill? Avoiding something you couldn't finish from.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

How do you avoid it, though? You're required to call out the numbers of the first three buses you see each time - there's no choice in the matter as I understand it. (Unless you pretend not to see one of them, I suppose :wink: )

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Ah, good point.

I can see finishing a game being tricky - you need say ten, then even if you're on the five bus route you might wait for ages for a double.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

If you tried to play the game on the road I live on, it would be impossible for anyone to finish! The only buses that run along it are the 5 and the 20[*], so every score would be a multiple of 5 - meaning that there'd always be 1 left over at the end that you couldn't get.

[*]Actually the 20A and 20C, but I assume letters are ignored for the purposes of the game.