Temple to Temple (Paris/London)

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Temple to Temple (Paris/London)

Post by michael_churchill »

On my way home from France last Sunday, I decided to make it a journey between Temple and Temple, the only stations with EXACTLY the same name on the London Underground and the Paris Metro.

Sunday 21 May 2017
Start at Temple
Line 3 to République, dep. 11:40:14, arr. 11:41:09
Line 5 to Gare du Nord, dep. 11:44:52, arr. 11:48:57
Eurostar to London St. Pancras International, dep. 12:52:29 CET, arr. 14:20:48 BST
Victoria line to Victoria, dep. 14:38:00, arr. 14:46:57
District line to Temple, dep. 14:48:28, arr. 14:55:21

Elapsed time = 4 hr 15 min 7 sec

Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Temple to Temple (Paris/London)

Post by Going Underground »

Nice going :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

The problem is the necessary dead time at Gare de Nord or St Pancras for security!
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

A Challenge wrote: 10 Jun 2017, 16:55 The problem is the necessary dead time at Gare de Nord or St Pancras for security!
They tell you to allow 30 minutes to check-in and get through security for Eurostar. I allowed about an hour for my 12:43 departure and was met with an enormous queue. At Gare du Nord, you have to pass through the check-in gates, French passport control, British passport control then the baggage x-ray security. I eventually made it through and straight onto the train, only a minute or two before the scheduled departure time. It took another 10 minutes before we could leave - I presume the rest of the queue behind me got processed eventually.

It seemed to be British passport control was the biggest hold-up. If you are not an EU citizen (which I still am at the moment), you have to fill in a landing card, as you do if you arrive in the UK by plane. I heard a lot of non-EU in the queue (i.e. Americans), so that might have been the problem.

By the way, it was the first time I've been on one of the new e320 Eurostars - very nice!