national rail every station

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
Redhanded
Zone 1

Re: national rail every station

Post by Redhanded »

Has anyone thought about "Northern Ireland Railways every station" ?

I took a very quick look at timetables and with only 54 stations and 4 lines it would be possible in a day.

The only real planning involved seems to be a getting a train that stops at Scarva and Poyntzpass on the Belfast-Newry service as these stations only have 4 trains stopping (2 each direction) Monday to Friday.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

I don't know if Andi got anywhere with this, but he has missed a trick. Just get other people to pay for it!

http://allthestations.co.uk
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Cracking idea that, I even pledged a fiver meself!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

I wondered when this would hit here.

Yes, crowd funding works but there must be an end deliverable - you can't crowd fund you personal jaunt!
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

So Geoff has hit his £30,000 fundraising target to keep him and crew in All Line Rovers, Travelodges, sandwiches and tea for three months. An interesting idea but I'm surprised it has taken off so quickly. Congrats to him for pulling it off. I wonder what sort of films he will produce. I've been impressed with his short Tube films. A younger Michael Portillo maybe. I wonder if this project means he has retired from Tube challenging and moved on to other transport things. I'd love to join him for a day or two visiting rail stations but it seems you have to pay for the privilege!

Out of interest does anyone know what are the three new rail stations for 2016/7 that he refers to? I've found two - Edinburgh Gateway and Kirkstall Forge but the third one eludes me.

Does anyone know of any unique stations that are well worth a visit? Obviously there are big architectural wonders like St Pancras, Paddington, Glasgow Central and Manchester Victoria but there must be loads of smaller ones with interesting histories. A couple that I know of are Felix the station cat at Huddersfield and the ghost Midland station at Hellifield. Any more suggestions?
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
crypto
Zone 2

Post by crypto »

He mentioned some new stations in his first Q&A video. Cambridge North is one of them. I'm intrigued to see this too, having followed his filmmaking for Londonist and his own projects. Half the reason I'm here in the first place is Secrets of the Underground.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

tufnellpark wrote: Out of interest does anyone know what are the three new rail stations for 2016/7 that he refers to? I've found two - Edinburgh Gateway and Kirkstall Forge but the third one eludes me.
The two you mention have opened but do not appear on the most recent ORR usage estimates (which lists 2,557 stations). The three that Geoff mentioned are due to open before they start their project are Cambridge North, Low Moor and Ilkeston.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Bedminster is worth a look - half the platform on every platform is abandoned and overgrown...
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

michael_churchill wrote:The two you mention have opened but do not appear on the most recent ORR usage estimates (which lists 2,557 stations). The three that Geoff mentioned are due to open before they start their project are Cambridge North, Low Moor and Ilkeston.
Now corrected to include Lea Bridge. Thanks Peter.
Agree there were 2557 at March 2016 per ORR. Kirkstall Forge, Edinburgh Gateway and Lea Bridge have opened since, so it's 2560 as of today. The three you mention are due to open Apr/May 2017, so Geoff should be visiting 2563 stations. Hope he is reading this as I wouldn't want him to miss any stations!
Last edited by tufnellpark on 01 Mar 2017, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Also Lea Bridge, so 3 already opened, plus 3 more likely to open soon.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

There would be a nice symmetry if they could get it up to 2700 stations!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

So, Geoff and Vicki started "All The Stations" yesterday.

I blogged about Redbridge (Hants), my adopted station, yesterday (http://diamondtittle.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ation.html), they retweeted it and I've had over 1000 views already!
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

Thought I'd reopen this subject.

Well it all finished on Saturday 19th August. The 2563 railway stations in Britain took Geoff and Vicki 104 days, 8 hours and 22 mins. A fantastic effort to organise and complete it. Don't underestimate how difficult these things are to plan. Well done Geoff, Vicki and their backroom team.

I watched the first video from Penzance to St Ives and have now watched the last one from Inverness to Wick. Now I have a bit of time I have started watching the 57 videos in between in order and they are very watchable, informative and enjoyable. Recommended to everyone with an interest in railways.

You can find more info and videos at www.allthestations.co.uk
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Last edited by geofftech on 07 May 2019, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

Congratulations to you, Vicki and the team, and thanks for a very entertaining session at the LT Museum earlier this week.

David
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.