national rail every station

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
palkanetoijala31

Re: national rail every station

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tractakid wrote:If you have to ask the guard to stop at every request stop on the Heart of Wales line, the rules are ridiculous. He/she'd never agree.
in response to that question I have all ready made contact with that rail franchise top dog.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
tractakid wrote:If you have to ask the guard to stop at every request stop on the Heart of Wales line, the rules are ridiculous. He/she'd never agree.
in response to that question I have all ready made contact with that rail franchise top dog.
That is a bit silly, and although maybe if you explain to them they might accept, although you will still probably have some annoyed passengers! Does your reply mean you are going to make it stop?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

A Challenge wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:
That is a bit silly, and although maybe if you explain to them they might accept, although you will still probably have some annoyed passengers! Does your reply mean you are going to make it stop?
Having travelled this line (and every other line in South Wales) in March, I can understand it would be complicated. However, surely the timetable allows for the possibility of the train having to stop at every station? Just means there's less 'catch-up/waiting' time at Llanwrtyd Wells etc.
palkanetoijala31

I knew this would happen same arguments it can't be done etc. so I have explored the possibilities of stopping also have a back up of some people whom shall remain name less requesting some trains.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:I knew this would happen same arguments it can't be done etc. so I have explored the possibilities of stopping also have a back up of some people whom shall remain name less requesting some trains.
Certainly the safest option, in my book. All the best for this challenge, when it happens!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
the main thing is to sort Wales out etc but that sleeper can be used multiple times etc.
The extra services to Fishguard which started a couple of years ago will help a little - prior to that change the only trains to Fishguard were for the ferry sailings, making Olympia seem a cinch by comparison!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

410 town shuttle then 412 T5 bus from Fishguard to Haverfordwest, surely?

Wales is simple in concept to do, difficult in timing. What you need though is a friend in a camper van/with a tent so you can sleep reasonably comfortably wherever you need to!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The Orange One wrote:410 town shuttle then 412 T5 bus from Fishguard to Haverfordwest, surely?

Wales is simple in concept to do, difficult in timing. What you need though is a friend in a camper van/with a tent so you can sleep reasonably comfortably wherever you need to!
Are campervans allowed I you don't drive while in one?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Private TRANSPORT. So long as the campervan isn't doing any transporting, it should be fine surely?

I actually realised that with the Fishguard ferry trains Wales has its own overnight service (Swansea to Fishguard to Swansea), so shouldn't be too much of a worry...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Das
Zone 2

Post by Das »

Hello,yes I have also considered this but without an attempt on the record but including Wight,Midland METRO,a tube challenge,trams on London,Edinburgh,Blackpool,Manchester,Sheffield,Nottingham,Newcastle Metro,a few heritage lines for linking some destinations, and a few rest days(catching up with friends around the UK),all in all im looking at 44 days and a empty bank account,a angry wife and employer.
Das
Zone 2

Post by Das »

Das wrote:Hello,yes I have also considered this but without an attempt on the record but including Wight,Midland METRO,a tube challenge,trams on London,Edinburgh,Blackpool,Manchester,Sheffield,Nottingham,Glasgow and Newcastle Metro,a few heritage lines for linking some destinations, and a few rest days(catching up with friends around the UK),all in all im looking at 44 days and a empty bank account,a angry wife and employer.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Das wrote:
Das wrote:Hello,yes I have also considered this but without an attempt on the record but including Wight,Midland METRO,a tube challenge,trams on London,Edinburgh,Blackpool,Manchester,Sheffield,Nottingham,Glasgow and Newcastle Metro,a few heritage lines for linking some destinations, and a few rest days(catching up with friends around the UK),all in all im looking at 44 days and a empty bank account,a angry wife and employer.
?????
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
palkanetoijala31

Tube Geek wrote:
Das wrote:
?????
I think daz is having a bald moment.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

The only Heritage Railway I could think might be useful as a linking line would be the Ffestiniog Railway (connecting the Cambrian Coast Line to the Conway Valley line) - or possibly the Welsh Highland from Porthmadog to Carnarvon then bus to Bangor. I can't think of any other heritage lines which link to NR in more than one place.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Das
Zone 2

Post by Das »

yeah the 2nd one is because I forgot the Glasgow metro the 1st time,yeah I would not be going for any records hence the heritage lines well some of them,and ill also be visiting friends in places that dont even have a rail link,so Ill probably be away at least 44 days if not more,probably when I retire.