national rail every station

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
palkanetoijala31

national rail every station

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

for years I have been interested in this challenge now I kno what people are going to say once a week services its impossible to do under record which at 25 years old currently stands at 31 days .

but I have a route now which does that obviously it's a costly challenge hence why I'm using some influence for cheaper alternatives etc. but suffice to say the route it's not 31 days I'm not going to reveal any parts just seeing the interest here of anybody for future attempt.
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Re: national rail every station

Post by quisquidillius »

I have been interested in this challenge for a while actually, although I don't think I am going to be doing it for a while!
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Two 14-day all lines rovers

Be careful:
nationalrail.com wrote:The All Lines Rail Rover is NOT valid for boarding or alighting train services operated by CrossCountry, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains or Virgin Trains East Coast before 10:00 Mondays to Fridays at the following stations:
  • Birmingham New Street
  • Bedford
  • London Euston
  • London Kings Cross
  • London St Pancras International
  • Luton
  • Luton Airport Parkway
  • Milton Keynes Central
  • Stevenage
  • Watford Junction
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Is this England, Great Britain or United Kingdom?
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Tube Geek wrote:Is this England, Great Britain or United Kingdom?
Great Britain (not Northern Ireland),so every station with a National Rail Station code, probably including same rails (counts for Eurostar out of St Pancras and at Ebbsfleet and Ashford, Bakerloo from Queens Park to Harrow and Wealdstone and Metropolitan from Harrow-on-the-Hill to Amersham) though if these are allowed I don't think these are much use!

This may not be correct though!

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

palkanetoijala31

A Challenge wrote:Two 14-day all lines rovers

Be careful:
nationalrail.com wrote:The All Lines Rail Rover is NOT valid for boarding or alighting train services operated by CrossCountry, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains or Virgin Trains East Coast before 10:00 Mondays to Fridays at the following stations:
  • Birmingham New Street
  • Bedford
  • London Euston
  • London Kings Cross
  • London St Pancras International
  • Luton
  • Luton Airport Parkway
  • Milton Keynes Central
  • Stevenage
  • Watford Junction
none of my route has me boarding any of those except one but by the time they had probably checked my ticket they wouldn't know.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I have also considered doing this challenge but the likelihood of me getting the time off for it is very slim. I'll be sticking to visiting every NR station in the meantime

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

xcooler123 wrote:I have also considered doing this challenge but the likelihood of me getting the time off for it is very slim. I'll be sticking to visiting every NR station in the meantime

Try 1000 in a week (or as many as you can, I think I have 1100 including things like the metrolink and LU!) as that takes one week. My route starts on the first train from Poole on a Monday morning and finishes on the last train into Cambridge early the next Monday morning! This only requires a 7-day All lines Rover, plus singles to Poole on the Sunday and back from Cambridge probably on Monday, if you are going to work, or maybe Tuesday if you don't want to go back to work!

xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

When I say visit, I mean either depart from a station, arrive at a station or both using 2 different services, not just stopping at a la Tube Challenge.

David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

xcooler123 wrote:When I say visit, I mean either depart from a station, arrive at a station or both using 2 different services, not just stopping at a la Tube Challenge.

You have to leave the station?

al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Sadly I can't get a month free to try it for myself, so good luck to you if/when you attempt it yourself. Are the rules that the train has to be scheduled to stop, at least by request, for a station visit to count, rather than a pas through being allowed? Also, are there any stations that have to be done "twice" like Hammersmith?
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
palkanetoijala31

the rules are like tube must stop u can visit depart/arrive every station pass through is not allowed unless no service at all i.e. Teesside airport if under renovation would class as well in this case non visit.

actually a lot of them would not need this rover thing as the three day passes in 7 day period in a certain area sorts it out and saves cash.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I did work out once that it was possible to travel from Reading to Penzance on the sleeper, travel all the NR lines in Cornwall in a day and catch that evening's sleeper (the return working of the one I would have got off that morning) back to Reading!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
palkanetoijala31

RJSRdg wrote:I did work out once that it was possible to travel from Reading to Penzance on the sleeper, travel all the NR lines in Cornwall in a day and catch that evening's sleeper (the return working of the one I would have got off that morning) back to Reading!
see that's what I'm talking about now imagine a few times with loops around euston,three in Scotland fort William,Inverness,Aberdeen, lower loops edinburgh,Glasgow,falkirk,

north England loops Carlisle,Crewe,

west England loops taunton,reading

the main thing is to sort Wales out etc but that sleeper can be used multiple times etc.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

If you have to ask the guard to stop at every request stop on the Heart of Wales line, the rules are ridiculous. He/she'd never agree.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*