Paris Metro

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Paris Metro

Post by tufnellpark »

Guinness World Records have confirmed my new WR for visiting all 303 stations on the Paris Metro, set on 23rd February 2016 with a friend, Simon Ford. It is 13:23:33, beating the previous record held by Adham by 14 mins.

I wondered why there is little mention of Paris Metro on this forum. Tyne and Wear seems to get more mentions, yet Paris is surely one of the big three Metro systems in the world (London Underground and New York Subway being the other two of course).
Last edited by tufnellpark on 14 Jul 2016, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Re: Paris Metro

Post by Tube Geek »

I didn't even realise GWR recognised the Paris Metro as an official record!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

To be honest, nor did I! I always thought that it was only London and New York that they officially recognised - is there a readily accessible list of metro/subway records that they do recognise?

Regardless of the above though, many congratulations on obtaining the record!!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Steeevooo wrote:To be honest, nor did I! I always thought that it was only London and New York that they officially recognised - is there a readily accessible list of metro/subway records that they do recognise?

Regardless of the above though, many congratulations on obtaining the record!!
They recognise Berlin I thought Paris was defunct but seems now it isn't congrats.

I wonder if Adham will now be really pissed off that his wasn't recognised.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

The "Guinness World Records" book is a mere shadow of its former self. Ross and Norris McWhirter must be spinning in their graves. If you tell them your dog can pop a lot of balloons very quickly, they'll put that in!

Given that, when tufnellpark presents evidence of a record which is, actually, you know, a challenge, I don't see how they can refuse it. Did this Adham guy actually make a proper application with GWR?

Out of interest, tufnellpark (Clive, is it?), did you contact GWR before the attempt? Did they tell you a time to be beaten, or is it being treated as a new category?

I used to be an avid collector of the Guinness Book of Records, and still buy it every year to keep my collection complete but, as you can tell, I now have a much lower opinion than I had in the golden days of Ross and Norris (and Roy Castle).

<brag> My name appeared in the 1994 edition after they asked if any collectors had all (or most) of the 39 editions up to that point. All of us were also invited to the press launch at the original Harry Ramsden's near Leeds, the world's largest fish and chip shop. </brag>
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

michael_churchill wrote: Out of interest, tufnellpark (Clive, is it?), did you contact GWR before the attempt? Did they tell you a time to be beaten, or is it being treated as a new category?
I did contact Guinness World Records to ask if there was a Paris Metro record before attempting it. They replied yes and gave me the existing WR time held by Adham. New York and Berlin are on there as well.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

So, full list:

London
Paris
New York
Berlin

COYR
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Is Berlin U-Bahn and S-Bahn, or just U-Bahn?

COYR
palkanetoijala31

U bahn only 7h 30mins the target sort of
palkanetoijala31

Paris metro map seems very confusing to me how many lines do u have to cover clive.
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Paris metro map seems very confusing to me how many lines do u have to cover clive.
Andi, Paris Metro has 14 lines numbered (unsurprisingly) 1-14 and 303 stations. It is more dense than London with smaller distances between stations and doesn't go out as far. Ignore the RER which is like Thameslink and not part of the Metro.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Is there a record fir fastest time to visit all stations on the big 4 metro/subway systems? e.g. New York Subway, plane to London, Tube, Eurostar to Paris, Paris Metro, plane to Berlin, Berlin U-Bahn

COYR
palkanetoijala31

Tube Geek wrote:Is there a record fir fastest time to visit all stations on the big 4 metro/subway systems? e.g. New York Subway, plane to London, Tube, Eurostar to Paris, Paris Metro, plane to Berlin, Berlin U-Bahn
I suspect not
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

tufnellpark wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:Paris metro map seems very confusing to me how many lines do u have to cover clive.
Andi, Paris Metro has 14 lines numbered (unsurprisingly) 1-14 and 303 stations. It is more dense than London with smaller distances between stations and doesn't go out as far. Ignore the RER which is like Thameslink and not part of the Metro.
Are there not some short spurs, numbered in line with the parent line, like 7B, that are also included.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

tangy wrote: Are there not some short spurs, numbered in line with the parent line, like 7B, that are also included.
You are correct Tangy, there are two bis lines 3bis and 7bis, which are branches off the main 3 and 7 lines. so if you like 14 main lines and two branches.