Dastardly difficult trivia quiz

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Re: Dastardly difficult trivia quiz

Post by michael_churchill »

RJSRdg wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 23:52 Which actor has played three different combatants from the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral on screen?
Intriguing question... the way you phrased it, could it be movies or TV?
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Both!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

RJSRdg wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 23:52 Which actor has played three different combatants from the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral on screen?
Think I've got it. Wikipedia tells me that the cast of the 1957 movie "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" included one DeForest Kelley and that there was an episode of Star Trek, "Spectre of the Gun", where the crew of the Enterprise re-create the gunfight (because, of course they do). I haven't found the third instance yet.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

michael_churchill wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 12:49
Think I've got it. Wikipedia tells me that the cast of the 1957 movie "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" included one DeForest Kelley and that there was an episode of Star Trek, "Spectre of the Gun", where the crew of the Enterprise re-create the gunfight (because, of course they do). I haven't found the third instance yet.

From De's Wikipedia entry:

Kelley appeared three times in various portrayals of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral; the first was in 1955, as Ike Clanton in the television series You Are There. Two years later, in the 1957 film of that name, he played Morgan Earp.[10] His third appearance was in a third-season Star Trek episode (broadcast originally on October 25, 1968), titled "Spectre of the Gun", this time portraying Tom McLaury.[21]
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

The original vinyl LP versions of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by the Beatles and "Atom Heart Mother" by Pink Floyd had an unusual characteristic that they shared with the 7" single "I Am The Beat" by The Look. What was that peculiarity?
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Ah yes, I think I know this one!

The play out groove at the ends of the records weren’t silent, but contained music/sounds which would continue playing for ever until the needle was lifted.

In the case of “I am the beat”, the metre of the song was chosen to match the 45rpm rotation of the turntable, which was useful on my radio shows of old. I could make the song last as long as I wanted!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

RobbieM wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 13:45 Ah yes, I think I know this one!

The play out groove at the ends of the records weren’t silent, but contained music/sounds which would continue playing for ever until the needle was lifted.

In the case of “I am the beat”, the metre of the song was chosen to match the 45rpm rotation of the turntable, which was useful on my radio shows of old. I could make the song last as long as I wanted!
Correct. The babble at the end of Sgt. Pepper is famous, but I recently found out about the Pink Floyd album which ends with the sound effect of a dripping tap which then continues dripping 33 1/3 times per minute.