GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Where am I? - On the Move #2

Post by GuyBarry »

Q.36: Are you at Ruislip?

and if the answer turns out to be no and you move again:

Q.37: Are you at Alperton?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

I think the first will be incorrect and then the second correct.

But if neither are, then 'Are you at Croxley?' followed by (after another move) 'Are you at Chorleywood?'.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I think this was the route:

Q1/2 - Great Portland Street
Q3/4 - Euston Square
Q5/6 - King's Cross St Pancras
Q7/8 - Russell Square
Q9/10 - Holborn
Q11/12 - Oxford Circus
Q13/14 - Bond Street
Q15/16 - Baker Street
Q17/18 - Finchley Road
Q19/20 - Wembley Park
Q21/22 - Preston Road
Q23/24 - Northwick Park
Q25/26 - Harrow-on-the-Hill
Q27/28 - West Harrow
Q29/30 - Rayners Lane
Q31/32 - Eastcote/South Harrow
Q33/34 - Ruislip Manor/Sudbury Hill
Q35/36 - Ruislip/Sudbury Town
Q37/38 - Ickenham/Alperton

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

GuyBarry wrote:Q.36: Are you at Ruislip?
No. (36 - moving)
GuyBarry wrote:and if the answer turns out to be no and you move again:

Q.37: Are you at Alperton?
Yes. Congratulations! Here is my route:

Q1 (Great Portland Street): Are you north of (but not on) the Central Line Stratford to Ealing Broadway? Yes.
Q2 (Great Portland Street): Are you West of (or on) the Northern line from High Barnet to Morden via Charing Cross? Yes.
Q3 (Euston Square): Did you start in Zone 1? Yes.
Q4 (Euston Square): Are you currently on the Circle Line? Yes.
Q5 (King's Cross St. Pancras): Are you currently on the Circle Line? Yes. (What is it with the Circle Line?)
Q6 (King's Cross St. Pancras): Will your next move require you to stay on the Circle Line? No. (And I don't plan to)
Q7 (Russell Square): Are you at or next to at least one Edgware Road station? No.
Q8 (Russell Square): Are you north of Baker Street on either the Jubilee or Metropolitan line? No. (How did you know I was going to do that?)
Q9 (Holborn): Are your answers to questions 1 and 2 both still true? No.
Q10 (Holborn): Is your answer to question 1 still true? No.
Q11 (Oxford Circus): Have you visited Notting Hill Gate during your journey? No.
Q12 (Oxford Circus): Have you been at or next to Great Portland Street during your journey? Yes. (Now this is just creepy)
Q13 (Regent's Park): Have you ever travelled on the Central Line? Yes.
Q14 (Regent's Park): Have you travelled through the closed Tottenham Court Road station? Yes. (Stop with the creepy comments!)
Q15 (Baker Street): Are you currently at Russell Square, Chancery Lane or Covent Garden? No. (I almost thought you had me there!)
Q16 (Baker Street): Are you currently within one station of Oxford Circus (i.e. either at Oxford Circus or at an adjacent station)? No. (Better double check that)
Q17 (Finchley Road): Were you on the Piccadilly line when you answered the previous question? No. (And I'm away!)
Q18 (Finchley Road): Are you west of (not on) the Jubilee Line? No. (Hmm... technically I am a couple of metres west of the Jubilee Line here)
Q19 (Wembley Park): Are you currently within one station of Bank? No. (This question amused me)
Q20 (Wembley Park): Are you inside (but not on) the traditional bottle-shaped Circle line and also east of the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line? No.
Q21 (Preston Road): Are you on or south of the District Line (Upminster - Ealing Broadway)? No. (South? Not going south!)
Q22 (Preston Road): Are you on or north of the Hammersmith & City Line? Yes.
Q23 (Northwick Park): Are you at or within two stops of Wood Lane? No. (I should hope not)
Q24 (Northwick Park): Are you within one stop of a Hammersmith & City Line station? No. (Where do you think I am?)
Q25 (Harrow-on-the-Hill): Are you at a zone 2 station on the Northern, Piccadilly or Victoria Line? No. (I left Zone 2 long ago)
Q26 (Harrow-on-the-Hill): Are you in Zone 2? No. (At this rate, I may be able to reach Chesham... better stick to plan though)
Q27 (West Harrow): Have you crossed a zone boundary since answering question 22? Yes. (Woah, I have to check that...)
Q28 (West Harrow): Are you in zone 3? No. (I'm way beyond Zone 3...)

Extra hints given here.

Q29 (Rayners Lane): Are you currently outside zones 1 and 2? No. (They're catching up with me... better switch line)
Q30 (Rayners Lane): Are you south of the River Thames? No. (Or perhaps they aren't... better switch anyway)
Q31 (South Harrow): Have you ever been in Zone 4? Yes. (And I'm going back there)
Q32 (South Harrow): Are you within three stops of a terminus? Erm... not sure whether Rayners Lane counts... what do I do... better be honest...
Q33 (Sudbury Hill): Are you beyond Finsbury Park on either the Piccadilly or Victoria line? No. (Well, I don't think so, anyway...)
Q34 (Sudbury Hill): Are you at Rayners Lane? No. (I was there, though... you've nearly caught me)
Q35 (Sudbury Town): Have you passed through Wembley Park on your journey? Yes. (They've definitely nearly caught me)
Q36 (Sudbury Town): Are you at Ruislip? No. (Oh, I've already been found)
Q37 (Alperton): Are you at Alperton? Yes. (Oh well, didn't make it to the Central Line then)

I failed to make a ruling about the Watford North Curve! Silly me.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Oh wow - and I had every station right except one! (Bond Street instead of Regent's Park.) Feeling really pleased with myself, although I'd probably have got there quicker if I hadn't asked the wrong question at Q.16 (it should have been "have you been within two stops of Oxford Circus").

Once you'd answered Q.12 I actually knew that the move between Q.10 and Q.11 was either Oxford Circus :arrow: Holborn or Holborn :arrow: Oxford Circus. It'd have been a lot harder without that (and the subsequent hints of course!).

Brilliant game. I think it still needs tweaking a bit - maybe a blanket restriction on visiting the same station twice? I'm happy to let A Challenge set the next one, as long as it's remembered that I have a victory in hand :)

The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

That Green Park/Oxford Circus area is a deathtrap in terms of the sheer number of options it throws up!

It does need tweaking... I could have crawled around the Green Park area for ages and gotten everyone hopelessly confused!

A blanket restriction would leave you trapped if you ended up at a terminus, but maybe it's better that way. At least you don't get reversing triangles (e.g. Holborn :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Bond Street :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Holborn) which drove me mad last time.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

How about these as the rules then?

1) The hider can only move on the eleven London Underground Lines.
2) The hider can change line only where two lines intersect in the same station, with this defined by Guinness rules (so no switching between the two Paddingtons and no Bank/Monument switching).
3) The hider cannot visit the same station twice.
4) If it becomes impossible for the hider to move any more, he/she must say so and remain in the same location for the rest of the game.

It's up to the hider not to choose a route that forces him/her up a dead end.

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

I think that the terminus rule should stay and that the restriction on visiting the same station twice should be within 5 moves. I shall run using these rules unless I say otherwise.

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

A Challenge wrote:I think that the terminus rule should stay and that the restriction on visiting the same station twice should be within 5 moves. I shall run using these rules unless I say otherwise.
Why do you get to set the rules then? This game is still in an experimental phase. Hopefully we tweak the rules by consensus at the end of each game, then we start a new one. I'm happy for you to set the next game but only if we all agree on the rules first.

Your suggestion doesn't work anyway. If you have to reverse when reaching a terminus, then you have to re-visit a station that you were at two moves ago - within the five-move limit!

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote:
A Challenge wrote:I think that the terminus rule should stay and that the restriction on visiting the same station twice should be within 5 moves. I shall run using these rules unless I say otherwise.
Why do you get to set the rules then? This game is still in an experimental phase. Hopefully we tweak the rules by consensus at the end of each game, then we start a new one. I'm happy for you to set the next game but only if we all agree on the rules first.

Your suggestion doesn't work anyway. If you have to reverse when reaching a terminus, then you have to re-visit a station that you were at two moves ago - within the five-move limit!
Sorry. I typed it correct at Where am I? - On the move #3. Sorry about that. What was I thinking?

It should me excluding terminus stations, as well.