Forum Upgrade

Check here for important announcements
moley
Site Administrator

Forum Upgrade

Post by moley »

A substantial upgrade to the forum has taken place this morning. I hope everything works - I've tested various things.

You will notice a few changes however the most important change is that the functionality to allow you to change your password should now work.

Other specific enhancements have been the addition of the reCaptcha module to try and reduce the effect that Spam bots have on the forum. You may see this if you are a new user or if we need to re-authenticate your account.

Your personal user settings are up on the right hand side under the search box - not much changes here but it works better.

Other than that, some general new images and tweaks to the styling. Maybe some further tweaks towards the end of the year.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Forum Upgrade

Post by Going Underground »

Help!!

1) How do I get the other /old view? Sub silver or something wasn't it?
2) How do I click on read unread posts or new posts?

Cheers
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I'm not sure if I like all the sub-forum renamings, particularly "Comments and Suggestions" (you could at least have spelt "replacement" correctly!).

EDIT: Ah, I see it's fixed now.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

GuyBarry wrote:I'm not sure if I like all the sub-forum renamings, particularly "Comments and Suggestions" (you could at least have spelt "replacement" correctly!).

EDIT: Ah, I see it's fixed now.
They were also the wrong way round!
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Going Underground wrote:Help!!

1) How do I get the other /old view? Sub silver or something wasn't it?
2) How do I click on read unread posts or new posts?

Cheers
1) Will have to find out where that went (not my change but the forum software!)
2) See attached - web address is the same.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Different...
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

A Challenge wrote:Different...
Apparently so if you are viewing on a mobile device... this site should now be on a responsive layout. *goes to get phone*

Oh, so it is! Hmm.... that's actually not the best improvement in the world. On the mobile site you don't get the right hand column of quick links etc. Also no obvious way of forcing desktop site.

I will investigate.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

:(
moley wrote:
Apparently so if you are viewing on a mobile device... this site should now be on a responsive layout. *goes to get phone*

Oh, so it is! Hmm.... that's actually not the best improvement in the world. On the mobile site you don't get the right hand column of quick links etc. Also no obvious way of forcing desktop site.

I will investigate.
I can force desktop (which I don't) but it is my browser and I didn't know you could in the old one!

I am not at the moment but do most of the time. And, just checking, it is very different :cry: I liked it how it was :lol:

A less obvious thing I noticed was it displays 'Birthdays' even though there aren't any.
Last edited by A Challenge on 31 Oct 2015, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

What' with the huge margins either side of the screen? Is that me, or do I need to change something to make it full-width again?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

tubeguru wrote:What' with the huge margins either side of the screen? Is that me, or do I need to change something to make it full-width again?
It is for me as well!

moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

tubeguru wrote:What' with the huge margins either side of the screen? Is that me, or do I need to change something to make it full-width again?
Apparently this style has a 'maximum' width, and you must have a screen with more width than that - I will try to change.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Also, I am not a fan of the popup box that comes up when you click "mark forums read", forcing you to waste time closing it. Can we lose that?

Member of sweet FA
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

A Challenge wrote::(
moley wrote:

I will investigate.
I can force desktop (which I don't) but it is my browser and I didn't know you could in the old one!

I am not at the moment but do most of the time. And, just checking, it is very different :cry: I liked it how it was :lol:

A less obvious thing I noticed was it displays 'Birthdays' even though there aren't any.
For what its worth, I couldn't not do the upgrade - there were some serious security flaws which needed changing.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

moley wrote:For what its worth, I couldn't not do the upgrade - there were some serious security flaws which needed changing.
We just need to tweak some of the styling. :)

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I noticed that my time settings have reverted to BST. I don't know if it's the same for everyone else, but you may need to change it via the "User Control Panel".

Member of sweet FA