TUBE 55 WORLD RECORD NO 6 NOT ACCORDING TO GUINNESS

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: TUBE 55 WORLD RECORD NO 6 NOT ACCORDING TO GUINNESS

Post by tractakid »

It has been done on a full network... desperate times!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Apologies for not commenting on this earlier, but I've been away in Germany for the past couple of weeks with only very limited Internet access.

As others have already said the Guinness stance seems utterly ridiculous. I already had a fairly low opinion of Guinness, but it has sunk even further.

If somebody could let me have the date of this completion, I will add it to the top times list.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Hi Nigel, the attempt was on Thursday 21st May 2015.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I wonder if Guinness would be interested/willing to "contract out" verification of future FNCs to one or more retired Tube Challengers - and whether there are any retired Challengers out there interested/willing to take it on?
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I would doubt it - having people who have a connection with tube challenge deciding the records fate would not make for very independent adjudication! The downside of course is that they really don't have the foggiest about what we do or what is actually involved.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Anyway this record will get beaten on 18th Sept on "The Cannon St" run "X"... I have a cracker of a route :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Steeevooo wrote:I would doubt it - having people who have a connection with tube challenge deciding the records fate would not make for very independent adjudication! The downside of course is that they really don't have the foggiest about what we do or what is actually involved.
I would have thought that most people who had "retired" long enough ago for their record to be broken and not to be too closely affiliated to the current batch of challengers would be impartial enough. (Though I can see it could be quite tempting for someone to come out of retirement if they saw a potential improvement to a submitted route!). Many sports have their records administered by their governing bodies - maybe we should have a governing body for Tube Challenging!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

RJSRdg wrote:I would have thought that most people who had "retired" long enough ago for their record to be broken and not to be too closely affiliated to the current batch of challengers would be impartial enough. (Though I can see it could be quite tempting for someone to come out of retirement if they saw a potential improvement to a submitted route!). Many sports have their records administered by their governing bodies - maybe we should have a governing body for Tube Challenging!
Pass!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Last edited by geofftech on 07 May 2019, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

geofftech wrote:
RJSRdg wrote:I would have thought that most people who had "retired" long enough ago for their record to be broken and not to be too closely affiliated to the current batch of challengers would be impartial enough. (Though I can see it could be quite tempting for someone to come out of retirement if they saw a potential improvement to a submitted route!). Many sports have their records administered by their governing bodies - maybe we should have a governing body for Tube Challenging!
geofftech wrote:perhaps now it really is time that we have our own list of records/adjudicator who confirms record times.
That is a very good idea. Who wants to do it?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
andytube
Zone 2

Post by andytube »

Not been on here for a while, but that is an amazing time. Always believed that there was many more minutes that could be knocked off the record, mainly due to the fact that not many people attempt the challenge. And if more people did, then there would be more routes calculated. But sounds like you've got an unbeatable route now! 2 years in planning. Very dedicated. You know how to get 15:37 now, hope you're both going to have another crack at it soon and get Guiness to recognise it.

Going Underground - did your cracker of a route get you a good time?
Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

andytube wrote:Not been on here for a while, but that is an amazing time. Always believed that there was many more minutes that could be knocked off the record, mainly due to the fact that not many people attempt the challenge. And if more people did, then there would be more routes calculated. But sounds like you've got an unbeatable route now! 2 years in planning. Very dedicated. You know how to get 15:37 now, hope you're both going to have another crack at it soon and get Guiness to recognise it.

Going Underground - did your cracker of a route get you a good time?
the attempt is still in arbitration with Guinness even if they do not ratify it Im am done with the tube challenge apart from attempts that will not be publicised written about etc. yes it took over 2 years to plan a route and for the arguments sake I have 18 drafts changes to it I still think its the best as I had over 9 different changes of routing to it. one of my changes is something I haven't used since tube 11.

the good thing is if this does get ratify it will never get shown on SHITTY WIKIPEDIA and I have the ups on them now as following their own guidelines for written content they ****** up!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Bearing in mind that Mark Gawley theorised a minimum time of 15:18 and said it may well be higher, it's quite possible Andi's route is indeed the quickest practical route.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

After many weeks of inactivity, Andi and I have finally received a reply from Guinness in regard to our appeal, and IMO their response is potentially setting a dangerous precedent (for any record, not just the tube challenge). I quote below a passage of their reply:
you must produce a witness statement from a Transport professional (Official TFL employee. Network Analyst or Signal engineer (preferably), who has reviewed the applicants logbook to validate applicants claim that:

‘… if we have a timed photograph of station A (e.g. Redbridge) which agrees to the recordings in the log book, and then a timed photograph of station B (e.g. Barkingside) which also agrees to the log book, on the same train (as evidenced by the train number recorded), then the inference must be that the intervening stations (e.g. Gants Hill and Newbury Park in this example) have also been visited as per the log book entries.

The witness will have to verify that the logbook shows that, by inference, all stations must have been visited. And provide full details, i.e.” station A and station Z were visited on train number 11039, therefore the intermediate stations B, C, D [etc.] must have been visited.”
To me, this is essentially Guinness World Records asking Andi and myself to verify our own evidence, which would, in most procedures, be deemed a very big self-review risk. Of course, given that TfL do not endorse the Tube Challenge, nor actively wish to be seen to be encouraging it, then obtaining this additional witness statement is easier said than done, but still the fight continues...
andytube
Zone 2

Post by andytube »

Maybe you'll have to have a GoPro cam attached to yourself and film the whole thing! Just point it upwards when relieving yourself :lol:
Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)