The Underground Can-Can

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: The Underground Can-Can

Post by greatkingrat »

You should sue for plagiarism!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... thday.html
Singer and actor Gary Wilmot, 64, who rose to fame as a contestant on ITV talent show New Faces in the 1970s, sang his song in which he name checks famous stations on the Tube map to the traditional can-can tune.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Well my flabber has never been so gasted! There's a clip here, though not the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLxDLXaW-D8

Sadly I can't sue for plagiarism since I didn't write the tune, and he's put the stations in a different order from my version. Weird coincidence though.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

From what the article says, it doesn't seem to imply that his version does all 270 stations? In which case the Guy Barry version is far superior!

Maybe we should send Gary a Youtube link of my breathless debut...!
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

At the beginning of the clip he says there are "about 275 stations", so I assume he names them all (and maybe a few extra ones!).

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

He must have written it when the East London Line was still part of the underground then.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

As pointed out by RobbieM in this post, my lyrics to the song need updating to take account of the Northern line extension to Battersea. Unfortunately "Battersea Power Station" is particularly unsuited to the metre of the tune, so I've had to tweak the name as with a few other stations previously. Changes are in bold:

Tooting Broadway, Tooting Bec, South Wimbledon and Colliers Wood,
Clapham North and Clapham South and Morden, Balham, Stockwell, Oval,
Power Station (Battersea), Embankment, Moorgate, Warren Street,
Kennington, Waterloo, Charing Cross, London Bridge,
Camden Town, Kentish Town, Tufnell Park,
Clapham Common, Hendon Central, Finchley Central,
Bank, Totteridge and Whetstone, Elephant and Castle, Borough, Belsize Park, King's Cross St Pancras, Golders Green, Highgate and East Finchley, Colindale and Hampstead, Old Street, Woodside Park and Mill Hill East.
Nine Elms, Goodge Street, Euston, Leicester Square, Chalk Farm, High Barnet, Tottenham Court Road, Brent Cross, West Finchley and Burnt Oak, Angel, Archway, Edgware, finally the Crescent - Mornington - the Northern line has ceased.

(Had to drop my neat little "Crescent"/"pleasant" rhyme, as I ran out of syllables!)