Where am I? UK #15 (Scaling a Bridge to Nowhere)

Can you tell where it is yet?
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Where am I? UK #15

Post by RobbieM »

Urzzz1871 wrote:Are you at the new Scale Lane Bridge over the River Hull?
Yes! (19/30)

• Nearly there... correct positioning now required...
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Well, in question (10) you said you were west of the River Hull... so there's only one conclusion.

Are you at the western end of the Scale Lane Bridge?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

GuyBarry wrote:Are you at the western end of the Scale Lane Bridge?
Yes (20/30) - Now a bit more specific ...
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

RobbieM wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:Are you at the western end of the Scale Lane Bridge?
Yes (20/30) - Now a bit more specific ...
Can one be any more specific than that? Since pedestrians are allowed onto the swing bridge while it's in operation, I presume you must be standing on it while it's open, waiting for it to swing across the river.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Remember my previous thread, (and my first comment in this thread), and you'll almost certainly guess it...
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Have you got one foot on the western bank and the other foot on the bridge itself?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

The Orange One wrote:Have you got one foot on the western bank and the other foot on the bridge itself?
:D :D :D Correct! Well done! Got it in 21 questions! :D :D :D

That’s where I found myself late afternoon on Saturday 17th August 2013, at the new, iconic, Scale Lane Bridge in Hull, just a couple of months after it had officially opened to the public. And yes, in typical ‘me’ fashion, I had one foot on the bridge and the other foot on ‘terra firma’.

This wonderful new swing bridge is reminiscent of a pinball flipper. What a wizard design! Not only can pedestrians stay on the bridge as it’s moving, but they can also walk on and off it whilst it’s opening. (Only at the west end though, try walking off the other end and it may be ‘Game Over’...) My request for 10 square metres' accuracy is the approximate arc of the opening multiplied by the distance between my two feet. It didn't matter whether the bridge was open or shut; I could still be standing there.

(Q13 - I was south of Scale Lane, but had you added 'Scale Lane Staith' to the question, I would actually have been very slightly north of it!)

I think this bridge is a fine new symbol for the city which has been awarded the status of the next ‘city of culture’. Hull has sadly acquired a bad name in recent decades, and it’s about time that was reversed. I was only in the city for about five hours that day, but as I've already alluded to through the thread, I found so much to see and do that day that I couldn’t even fit one tenth of it in. I think I need to plan a return trip.

The strange thing at the moment is that the bridge is a destination in itself, yet it has been nicknamed the ‘Bridge to Nowhere’ – as the planned development on the east bank of the river hasn’t happened yet! But I’m sure it won’t be long before that changes.

So, I recommend that when you, your family and your friends next visit the wonderful city of Kingston-upon-Hull, you take a look at this bridge yourself, and perhaps even 'go for a ride'!