Top Times: Circle Line Bottle Challenge

This section now houses all the Top Times threads
timwakeling
Zone 1

Re: Top Times: Circle Line Bottle Challenge

Post by timwakeling »

2h 1m 42s today!

Including a total people jam at the Paddington H&C station that must have cost me at least 2 minutes. (Why on earth is London so crammed with tourists on a wet weekday in March?!) But I can't complain when I had managed to catch my Circle line train with only about 30 seconds' wait. Not being up for the Starkey Run between Warren Street and Russell Square either, I took the Victoria line via Kings Cross, and ended up getting to Russell Square two minutes faster than he did anyway. Take that, John. ;o)

Nowhere near the record though. That's a serious time...
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Was it not decided that even with the extension to Hammersmith, the CLBC doesn't count Paddington H&C? Obviously, your route is your route though :D
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

:?
One day I shall return!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Well of course this route is still perfectly valid, but yes, Richie is correct; Paddington (H+C) does not need to be visited on a Bottle attempt.

Good work, Tim, especially around the Euston area!
timwakeling
Zone 1

Post by timwakeling »

Yeah, I don't think I had to visit Paddington H&C, but I decided to do it anyway because it was either running a long way there or at Edgware, and I don't know Edgware. The route is basically yours, John, as hours of thought (seriously) failed to bring up a better plan. Except that I reduced the running by going down to Embankment and changing there. That might have been a mistake as it turned out.

In other news, I was charged a £6 penalty fare on leaving my last station (over and above my daily Oyster cap). The same thing happened last time I tried this challenge. It must be because I'm taking too long to get from one station to another or something ... nevertheless, it's both annoying and somewhat expensive, and I dread to think how many full-fare penalties one accrues in a day doing the full network...
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

timwakeling wrote:Yeah, I don't think I had to visit Paddington H&C, but I decided to do it anyway because it was either running a long way there or at Edgware, and I don't know Edgware. The route is basically yours, John, as hours of thought (seriously) failed to bring up a better plan. Except that I reduced the running by going down to Embankment and changing there. That might have been a mistake as it turned out.

In other news, I was charged a £6 penalty fare on leaving my last station (over and above my daily Oyster cap). The same thing happened last time I tried this challenge. It must be because I'm taking too long to get from one station to another or something ... nevertheless, it's both annoying and somewhat expensive, and I dread to think how many full-fare penalties one accrues in a day doing the full network...
Thats why u dont use oyster for the full network.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Yeah, it's stupid though that the penalty goes above the cap! It makes it less attractive to use one's Oyster card, for fear of making a mistake when touching in and out. :(
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

It cost me a fortune to do the tram challenge recently, I still need to write to TFL and ask for some money back. I was charged a penalty fare despite swiping my card at every opportunity.
One day I shall return!
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Did a 2h:06m:22s today

It would have been about 2h:03m if the had waited for a Cirle to Aldgate from Tower Hill. Nevermind...
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The Raven wrote:Did a 2h:06m:22s today

It would have been about 2h:03m if the had waited for a Cirle to Aldgate from Tower Hill. Nevermind...
Only good enough for joint 9th position.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Shall I edit the first post to reflect the other times added in this thread?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I am adding them to my own webpages which are being uploaded.

This webpage will be at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge/circbottle.htm in a few moments when I kick my FTP transfer into life.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

tangy wrote:I am adding them to my own webpages which are being uploaded.

This webpage will be at http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... bottle.htm in a few moments when I kick my FTP transfer into life.
So this thread becomes obsolete then?

Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I am slowly building up a webpage for all the "Top Times" threads an hosting them on my own domain.

So far complete are: All lines, Bottle, Mouse, Tramlink, Overground and DLR pages. I am currently working through the other pages for say Zone 1, Random 15 etc. but these will take a little more time to compile.

These can be viewed through the main index page at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge (but is very much still a work in progress).

Tangy.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Do you have any plans to put them on this forum, or did you only intend to link to them?

Member of sweet FA