The story so far...

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

The story so far...

Post by GuyBarry »

As the plot of the "Story from the Tube" has perhaps got a little convoluted, here's a summary of events so far. I think it would be a nice idea for the story to end when we've got through all the Underground stations - there are 116 left to go by my reckoning, so that should give us plenty to time to tie up all the loose ends...

After hearing a bizarre chorus of choking birds, Wes Tacton decided to capture them as a money-making scheme. He escaped to the countryside where he was joined by his friends Colin Dale and Stan More. Thinking they were in the clear, they travelled back to London where they were pursued by Inspector Warren Street of New Scotland Yard. They went into a pub where they met Roy Aloak, who offered them advice, but at a cost.

To raise the money they stole a car and hatched a plan to sell tube maps to the Saudis. As they travelled through Oxford they were spotted by Inspector Street, and jumped onto a train to Sheffield, where they sneaked into a convent and disguised themselves as gardeners. They tried to win over the Mother Superior, Sister Mary, by taking her out for a drink, but a mugger, Charles Denton, attacked her and stole her handbag. While this was going on, Inspector Street contacted his police colleagues and Denton was arrested. Wes, Colin and Sister Mary [what happened to Stan?] hailed a taxi to Norwich, but Colin ran out of money.

At this point there was something of a pause in proceedings, and the plot was largely forgotten, but they rang the mysterious Don, who was able to help. Johnny Depp then put in an appearance (for no obvious reason), and a game of Tube Challenger Cluedo commenced, featuring Mrs White, who had recently moved house during a storm. As she sheltered under a tree she met a group of smelly Boy Scouts, who attracted all sorts of vermin. They arranged for it to be exterminated but it came back again, so they bought a cage, which was delivered to the scout leader's house, but he was out.

The scout leader's maid, Ava, took delivery of the cage and gave the delivery men some sweets. She went out to buy some ham for supper, but as she arrived back at the house she noticed that Woody Allen was apparently approaching. (The scout leader, Richard Bromley, had returned by then.) The visitor turned out to be John Collier, a Woody Allen impersonator from Lancashire. Richard and Ava persuaded him to take part in a talent contest that was soon to take place in the northerly Scottish town of Wick, and invited him to stay for supper. They mentioned that Ken Sington might be able to help with parking arrangements in Wick.

As Ava went out to buy some fruit, she spotted a suspicious man who (unknown to her) was a cannibal. She phoned Wes and Colin [who had presumably returned from Norwich in the meantime] and also Stan [making a welcome reappearance], and they agreed to come soon. Then the police arrived, followed for some reason by the Cannabis Alliance leader. The cannibal shot him and was instantly arrested and sentenced to prison.

In prison, Don made a surprise reappearance. It turned out that he was a criminal guru who had slipped up and been arrested. But he had a secret plan to escape by boring through the prison walls, and got into a getaway car, driven by his accomplice Ken. On the journey to Islip (in Oxfordshire) Don asked Ken to marry him, but Ken said he was in love with someone else. When they arrived in Islip Don was rearrested but somehow escaped going back to prison. Don and Ken then headed for Wick in Scotland, where it was revealed that Ken was none other than Ken Sington, the car parking organizer for the talent contest that John Collier was due to take part in.

Don said he was unhappy and would go back south unless Ken sang at the competition. In another unexplained twist, the whole event was transported to Manchester and became the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest, with Ken representing Britain and John representing Ireland. Bizarrely, Azerbaijan was represented by Wes, Colin, Stan and Roy [the stranger in the pub from the early scenes], but just as they were about to go on stage they were arrested by Inspector Street, making a dramatic reappearance. Turkey won the competition, with Ken coming a poor 19th for Britain, and John finishing last for Ireland, mainly because he did the whole song as Woody Allen.

Back in London, Richard and Ava now had a new visitor, Walt Miller, grandson of Walt Disney. In Manchester, Inspector Street took the four suspects to the police station for interrogation. Ken went back to his old job as a car park attendant, when he encountered the cricketer Phil Tufnell. John was talent-spotted by the American impresario Ed G. Ware and taken down to London to arrange a deal. Don, despairing after being abandoned by Ken, headed down into Yorkshire where he entered a monastery on a lonely moor, and pretended to be a soldier.

You'll need to read the rest to find out what happens!
Last edited by GuyBarry on 08 Oct 2013, 14:46, edited 4 times in total.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: The story so far...

Post by GuyBarry »

Here's my list of stations that haven't been used yet.

[All gone!]
Last edited by GuyBarry on 08 Oct 2013, 14:41, edited 32 times in total.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Honestly - you really do have too much time on your hands.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

This is really turning into a thrilling story. I think I'll collaborate it, make a few small edits, and sell it as a book.

The edits could clear up why the police and Cannabis Alliance leaders arrived - the leader was canvassing and wanted police protection.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I think we should have a story with a fixed set and order of stations. One of the simpler tube lines (Bakerloo, Circle, H&C, Jubilee, Victoria - W&C would make a sentence not a story) would do. Though the Piccadilly or Metropolitan lines could be interesting (start at Cockfosters/Aldgate and then one branch at a time).

I pity whoever ends up with the arduous task of Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3. (Terminal 4 and Terminal 5 are also a hassle - maybe just allow the Heathrow to account for them?)
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I think we should leave it as it is. Does EVERYTHING have to be complicated by unnecessary rules?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I went to the BANK to drink lots of WATER, LOO visit followed soon afterwards.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:Honestly - you really do have too much time on your hands.
Oh, don't be boring. This game is a lot of fun. Why not suggest something for the latest plot development?

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

The Orange One wrote: I pity whoever ends up with the arduous task of Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3.
I've got something. Wait and see.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Here are the "dodgy" station references that I've come across. Perhaps RobbieM could adjudicate on whether they need to be done again? (I'm also updating this list as we go along.)

[All gone again!]

I'll be editing my earlier list as we go along from now on, so that it's easy to see what still needs to be used. I may also edit my opening post from time to time to keep up with new plot developments.
Last edited by GuyBarry on 08 Oct 2013, 14:42, edited 13 times in total.

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Well, very pleasantly surprised to see this marvellous thread! Thanks to GuyBarry for summarising the story so well - it gave me a great laugh seeing what our intrepid explorers have been doing!

I have to say, when I started the thread, I thought that we may end up with something that could be tidied up into a puzzle for anyone to use. The capitalisation would be removed, and it would provide an interesting puzzle; just like GuyBarry suggested recently. (I know a similar one with books of the Bible). People could have to find the 'thirty hidden stations'. Looks like we may get to the 270!

My list of 'forbidden stations' is pretty close to GB's, though one or two differences. I'd allowed PINNER, but it may be best to do it again. Also KING'S CROSS ST PANCRAS didn't quite make sense, and I'd also listed RODING VALLEY, but now can't find where it is! Another one was CANARY WHARF - a mis-spelling of 'warfarin' made this invalid. There were also some non-tube-station questionables.

It'd be good to see if we can get through all 270, and it'd be good for GB to keep us updated as to the plot, and unused stations. Then we should be able to compile the puzzle.

(BTW, I'm taking the view that every contribution on the thread will be considered copyright-free; let me know if that's not the case :lol: )

Keep going, folks! :D
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

RobbieM wrote:Well, very pleasantly surprised to see this marvellous thread! Thanks to GuyBarry for summarising the story so well - it gave me a great laugh seeing what our intrepid explorers have been doing!
Don't mention it! I needed to do that for my own benefit - it's hard to work out what the hell's going on sometimes :)
I have to say, when I started the thread, I thought that we may end up with something that could be tidied up into a puzzle for anyone to use. The capitalisation would be removed, and it would provide an interesting puzzle; just like GuyBarry suggested recently. (I know a similar one with books of the Bible). People could have to find the 'thirty hidden stations'. Looks like we may get to the 270!
I very much hope so - I fully intend to finish the whole lot now. It could be touch and go whether we complete this or get to 1000 in the counting game first :wink:
My list of 'forbidden stations' is pretty close to GB's, though one or two differences. I'd allowed PINNER, but it may be best to do it again. Also KING'S CROSS ST PANCRAS didn't quite make sense
I thought that one was just about OK: "...- a move that made many KINGS CROSS. ST PANCRAS then, for Wes was a man on the run!" (i.e. he was heading for St Pancras station). Although part of the name was used literally - I don't know how strict you're being.
and I'd also listed RODING VALLEY, but now can't find where it is!
It's on page 10: "...even Sister Serena in the RODING VALLEY will know you". Again that one was used literally.
Another one was CANARY WHARF - a mis-spelling of 'warfarin' made this invalid

Missed that (I obviously can't spell "warfarin" either :) )
There were also some non-tube-station questionables.
I haven't been checking the non-tube-station entries in detail, although I remember "get WES TO FERRY him" at one stage. I think it might be a little ambitious to complete all the DLR stations as well! (Maybe that could wait for the next story.)
It'd be good to see if we can get through all 270, and it'd be good for GB to keep us updated as to the plot, and unused stations. Then we should be able to compile the puzzle.
Will do!

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Ah yes, perhaps we can allow KXSP, I can now understand it. Aren't I clever :roll: !

Where I've found one I consider invalid, I've tried to put in a valid version of it later on. So I think Roding Valley may be coming soon, unless anyone else gets there first...!
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I've edited my post for Hornchurch as I've thought of a better joke. Hope that's OK.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Once again, I would like to congratulate The Orange One on his attention to detail:

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Walter_Elias_Disney_Miller