Counting - discussion thread

Games that go on and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (and on)
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Counting - discussion thread

Post by GuyBarry »

leamfarrar wrote:QI are up to 2363 but haven't posted for almost three days, we are only 47 behind now. Keep going everyone!
They're moved onto 2365 now. I reckon if we can get the gap down to 30 by Christmas then we're doing well.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

GuyBarry wrote:
leamfarrar wrote:QI are up to 2363 but haven't posted for almost three days, we are only 47 behind now. Keep going everyone!
They're moved onto 2365 now. I reckon if we can get the gap down to 30 by Christmas then we're doing well.
Now up to 2376... we are catching up, only 41 behind now.
Leam Mark Farrar
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

With QI's lead down to 37 as I write this, this is where I have to leave you for a couple of days. Merry Christmas everyone and let's see if we can overtake them in the New Year!

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

QI haven't moved for five days and their lead is now down to 21! I reckon we can make it in a couple of weeks. See you in 2016.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

A Challenge wrote:To continue with star constellations, NGC 2362 is an Open Cluster of stars in the Canisters Major Constellation.
Canis Major - I'll put that one down to auto-correct! :)

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote:
A Challenge wrote:To continue with star constellations, NGC 2362 is an Open Cluster of stars in the Canisters Major Constellation.
Canis Major - I'll put that one down to auto-correct! :)
Afraid so...
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

QI have reached 2400 now, putting us 35 behind - it's going to take longer to catch up than I thought. Can we beat them to 2500?

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

DrainBrain wrote:n^2 + n + 41 is prime for all integer values of n from 0 to 40 inclusive.
Not quite. When n = 40, n^2 + n + 41 = 1681 = 41^2. Prime for all values from of n from 0 to 39 inclusive though.

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

QI are on 2441 and we are on 2395 (as of my post just now) and so we are 46 behind, which us sadly uncomparable to GuyBarry's previous score update.
GuyBarry wrote:QI haven't moved for five days and their lead is now down to 21! I reckon we can make it in a couple of weeks. See you in 2016.

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Well it's certainly going to be a huge challenge to beat them to 2500 - we'll have to move nearly twice as fast as they do.

Does anyone fancy doing a "blitz"? RobbieM and I used to do them occasionally if we were logged on at the same time - we'd simply whack through as many numbers as possible, taking turns. We never actually planned it but it was good fun when it happened! Maybe we should schedule a time when two or more of us are free, and see how many we can get through...

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Wrongly edited out for today's Blitz - sorry
Last edited by A Challenge on 12 Jan 2016, 18:24, edited 3 times in total.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

OK, I'm game! Just posted 2400.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Hmm, yes, didn't go quite as smoothly last night as I'd hoped! At least we caught up a bit - now only 33 behind QI. Maybe we can have another go soon.

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

I sent a PM to GuyBarry asking whether he wanted to do another Blitz this afternoon, and he agreed:

My first post: 2419
My last post: 2451

This is good, especially as we got ahead of QI.

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

quoted not edited - sorry
Last edited by A Challenge on 12 Jan 2016, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.