Geoff's Tube 21 - 14th September 2012

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tube 21 - 14th September 2012

Post by Sam »

hopeful traveller wrote:I have commuted for eight years now (and challenged for one) and delays are rarer.
Ah yes, I remember my journeys when I was 5 years old as if they were yesterday as well ;)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

geofftech wrote:Yes, what are you going to say hopeful traveller? (because the service broke - AGAIN! - so i am listing it as a day when it failed on us)

i'm sure Nigel won't mind me saying this because he's admitted it himself - but his Saturday route wouldn't work on a weekday because of timetable differences. Likewise, our weekday route wouldn't work on a Saturday due to the different start that we did. Therefore (pedantic as it may seem) i've listed NIgel's 270 on my site under a 'Saturday' category and everyone else's on a Monday-Friday. But yes Nozza, sub-17's are with us again! (i knew what you meant, s'okay)

Come to think about it, if I was being a complete idiot about it - what with that "Who's in the 270 club?" thread, i suppose we should now stake a claim for 'Fastest 270 on a non-exhibition day service', attempt. Yes, there. We win that. Let me go and update my signature ... :wink:
I should point out that the current record was actually as well delayed by a EDGEWARE ROAD FAILURE! so blaming the network in this case is wrong!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Indeed, I do like how people seem to think that our run was an absolutely perfect run on a perfect day with no delays!
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
geofftech wrote:Yes, what are you going to say hopeful traveller? (because the service broke - AGAIN! - so i am listing it as a day when it failed on us)

i'm sure Nigel won't mind me saying this because he's admitted it himself - but his Saturday route wouldn't work on a weekday because of timetable differences. Likewise, our weekday route wouldn't work on a Saturday due to the different start that we did. Therefore (pedantic as it may seem) i've listed NIgel's 270 on my site under a 'Saturday' category and everyone else's on a Monday-Friday. But yes Nozza, sub-17's are with us again! (i knew what you meant, s'okay)

Come to think about it, if I was being a complete idiot about it - what with that "Who's in the 270 club?" thread, i suppose we should now stake a claim for 'Fastest 270 on a non-exhibition day service', attempt. Yes, there. We win that. Let me go and update my signature ... :wink:
I should point out that the current record was actually as well delayed by a EDGEWARE ROAD FAILURE! so blaming the network in this case is wrong!
Andi, I think it's a little facile to say that because you achieved a world record despite delays, people shouldn't blame the network for their failure to beat the record. Surely, you were successful because you either had a route that had enough leeway in it that the delay didn't put you behind record pace, or you had enough luck later in the day to counteract the effect of the delay?
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Of course Geoff would have beaten the record if there had have been no delays, so yes, he can blame the network. I do think Andi has a point, if not worded (or spelled- 'Edgware') very well- if the current record was set on a day without good service it may well show that Andi has a quicker route.

It all depends on how much of a delay each person experienced. If it was the same, then Andi wins.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

This was covered in great detail in a previous thread. Many records have been set with the network not working as it should. this also can benefit as well as hinder the challenger.

Which goes to prove that you need luck on the day as well as a good route to break the record.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

This isnt a case of Andi wins Geoff loses - where did this concept come from?

Yes, if the system had run perfectly then we would have beaten the current record on Friday. The system didnt run perfectly therefore we didnt beat the record. Equally, if Andi had encountered a perfect day his record would have been even quicker - I dont think we are disputing this point. Andi had many occasions when the network let him down while he had a potentially good route.

Failures can be categoriesed into Network Issues, Challengeer issues and external factors. There is a clear distinction here from a route which on paper is 16:30+ to start with, or whereby somone runs the wrong way, takes the wrong train (challenger issues), singal failures, train failures (network issues), weather issues or one unders (external factors).

Tube delays - hmmm. I've commuted to London since 2004. Delays got worse around 2009-2011. Reported delays have got better in 2012. However that does not reflect my personal experience where 15+ minute waits for any train along the top of the circle is reported as a "Good Service". Thats 4 trains missing! Actual delays are no better ion 2012 than 2009, just the reporting has changed.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

moley wrote:This isnt a case of Andi wins Geoff loses - where did this concept come from?
This is a competitive record- therefore, the holder of the record is the winner?

Am I wrong?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

nozzacook wrote:This was covered in great detail in a previous thread. Many records have been set with the network not working as it should. this also can benefit as well as hinder the challenger.

Which goes to prove that you need luck on the day as well as a good route to break the record.
Agreed - but on top of this there is the timetable that is supposed to be operating on the day you do your challenge. As Geoff has mentioned, my last attempt on a Saturday would not have worked so well had I tried to do the same stations in exactly the same order on a weekday. But conversely, there are fewer trains at peak hours on Saturdays which I reckon limits the options later on. Clearly, the Olympia frequency on the day is a very major factor, which on weekday without an exhibition service severely hampers the ability to reroute if things aren't quite going to plan.

Irrespective of the Olympia service that is running, my belief is that the timetable that now exists at the extremities of the network is a lot less conducive to producing a fast time than than was the case in 2011.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Which makes it ironic then that my paper time now is faster than my paper time when Andi and I (yes, the record doesn't just belong to Andi!!!) got the record :wink:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

That's not irony.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

I think this topic has gone off a little tangent my point was geoff always has that excuse the network let us down in this case the same thing happened to him as mine and steveo record attempt (so a classic case of blaming the network in this case was wrong!) so its a case of how u take things really (me and steveo oh well never mind we couldnt beat the current record ah lets go down the pub) (geoff likes to rant about the current service being bad totally differant ways of views of looking at things).

in theroy i dont actually tell people my estimated theroy times as why would i?geoff has quite clearly stated a few times his ideal times whether u believe him or not nobody can theroise the perfect time for 270 and one day the record will get beaten who by i dont know perhaps even a MARC GAWLEY!

Andi, I think it's a little facile to say that because you achieved a world record despite delays, people shouldn't blame the network for their failure to beat the record. Surely, you were successful because you either had a route that had enough leeway in it that the delay didn't put you behind record pace, or you had enough luck later in the day to counteract the effect of the delay?

i actually agree with the point although u forget to mention the stone cold fact that we did not know that the record had been beaten APRIL 21st 2011 so in fact that the delay me and steveo actually we didnt know we were really close to the record just set 37 days ago come MAY 27th 2011!i dont think we had any specific luck we had delays just like anybody else does and no our route did have some leeway u have to in any route i think so i just pointing out an obvious fact!

Scrxisi (to be honest i havent actually gone out since i did with ANTHONY BROWN i have achieved the record 4 times and dont really need to be a 5 time record holder or feel the need to) but i will say this i be happy to help anybody with their attempt and i can assure anybody i keep an eye on it but doing the tube challenges with steveo is such fun so if we do decide to go out and try and better the time it have to be a reason for doing so.

I actually like poeple replies to my nice writing stance and style im taking up elocution classes! give me a mark out of ten please.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Elocution is for speaking.

Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

tubeguru wrote:Elocution is for speaking.
yes i know that but the words i write down are technically me speaking them are they not.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
tubeguru wrote:Elocution is for speaking.
yes i know that but the words i write down are technically me speaking them are they not.
There's a very clear difference between spoken and written English.

Anyway, back to the thread.

Member of sweet FA