Geoff's Tube 21 - 14th September 2012

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
Starkey7
All Zones

Re: Tube 21 - 14th September 2012

Post by Starkey7 »

The reason that written English needs punctuation and good spelling is that it simply makes it easier to read and interpret. Obviously there's no body language or tone of voice with written language, but punctuation goes some way towards ameliorating this. This is one reason that I really do not like this idea of "ritin wiv txt speek" because it's actually harder and slower to read.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Exactly. Some of Andi's posts make my head hurt, simply because I can't understand what is meant by the continual stream of words.

ANYWAY, back to the thread again!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Well done Geoff on a completion in a very respectable time. Better luck next time!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

now this is tube 21 Geoff is now probably the 3rd most attempts tube challenger ever i wonder? when it will end?
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

scrxisi wrote:Are you two actively attempting to better your time, or just sitting back and seeing what happens?
To answer this, I don't have the time to try to better it - taking a 3 week holiday eats into most of my leave allocation, and I'm not really into wasting the few days leave that I have left to go trying to better it. Of course, should the record get broken then I may reconsider ;)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

That is (or was) my way of looking at it. Once one has the record, the only time one goes out to do better is if someone beats it. But then if you're more obsessed than me (Geoff, Andi, etc.) then you feel the need to continually go faster; to get the absolute best time out there.

Member of sweet FA
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

tubeguru wrote:But then if you're more obsessed than me (Geoff, Andi, etc.) then you feel the need to continually go faster; to get the absolute best time out there.
"The Surfer Effect"

(There's always a bigger wave...)
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Geoff is now probably the 3rd most attempts tube challenger ever i wonder? when it will end?
probably not for another ten years yet. i just turned 40, and don't see why i can't run until i'm 50 years old. there's actually a 70-year-old something at my local parkrun who sometimes runs faster than me, so who's to say I couldn't do this until i'm in my seventies too! it's all about staying healthy and keeping fit.

(which reminds me. didn't Andi get his own section after 21 attempts? does this mean i can have my own section on the forum now? :D )

the main point is though, is that we feel that it's beatable. not by much, and it's not easy to do so - but it is possible - so we'll keep on trying. If someone got it down to between 16:00 and 16:15 though, that would make it almost impossible. i think there's only one (or maybe two) trains ahead that that you can beat it by now (assuming you have a Heathrow finish). and once that happens, i think we'll all have to sit back and wait for the network to be reset ...
snudge27 wrote:people shouldn't blame the network for their failure to beat the record. Surely, you were successful because you either had a route that had enough leeway in it that the delay didn't put you behind record pace, or you had enough luck later in the day to counteract the effect of the delay?
are you just trying to incite me now on purpose? ha ha haa! Snudge, you've obviously never completed a full network, dare say attempted one? A network failure can obviously make or break a record time. Duh.

Andi, I like the fact that your big post at least had paragraphs in it ... made it much easier to read!
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

geofftech wrote:
snudge27 wrote:people shouldn't blame the network for their failure to beat the record. Surely, you were successful because you either had a route that had enough leeway in it that the delay didn't put you behind record pace, or you had enough luck later in the day to counteract the effect of the delay?
are you just trying to incite me now on purpose? ha ha haa! Snudge, you've obviously never completed a full network, dare say attempted one? A network failure can obviously make or break a record time. Duh.

Andi, I like the fact that your big post at least had paragraphs in it ... made it much easier to read!
Geoff. Knowing you I know it's not intentional, but you're misquoting me! The entire quote is:
snudge27 wrote:Andi, I think it's a little facile to say that because you achieved a world record despite delays, people shouldn't blame the network for their failure to beat the record. Surely, you were successful because you either had a route that had enough leeway in it that the delay didn't put you behind record pace, or you had enough luck later in the day to counteract the effect of the delay?
In context, you can see that I am saying that the reliability of the network can make or break a record attempt. As for the alleged lack of attempts, you even joined me between White City and Walthamstow on an attempt (albeit under a different username!) :wink:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

geofftech wrote:(which reminds me. didn't Andi get his own section after 21 attempts? does this mean i can have my own section on the forum now? :D )
The Forum Committee on Section Naming (i.e. me) is meeting this afternoon to consider this request ( as it's more or less tantamount to that).

Decision due shortly.

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Should you NOT give Geoff his own section, I would feel that you are favouring other members... ;)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

I say give geoff his own section seconded!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Your suggestions have been taken on board by the committee, and a decision will be due after I've been out to look at some animals.

Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

scrxisi wrote:I say 21 should qualify a challenger to he included in a combined separate section, the name of which evolves accordingly over time. Therefore Andi's bit should become Andi & Geoff's bit

Sorted
or just rename the section to geoffs continual attempts as i havent done one for ages!
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

You did around 220 stations recently enough :P
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*