Direct train from Chesham to Watford? I beg your pardon?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

moley wrote:I've done the jubilee line waterloo crossovers - in service!
That's not fair! I use the Jubilee Line daily, and havn't done any of the line's emergency crossovers. My fiance has done the Canary Wharf crossover a few times.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Sorry to be a pedant, G-Force, but you probably ought to use "fiancée" with two e's, and an accent acute on the first e, for which I'll let you off as it's a special character and a pain in the arse to insert (ooh-err!).

I must point this out as it's sometimes important to choose the right greetings card for your fiancée (female) or fiancé (male), to save embarrassment!! It's for your own good, honest!

I haven't done any such non-public sections of track, anyway. I'd like to, though, but it's probably not the sort of thing I'd stay on beyond my destination to do.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

CrunchySaviour wrote:Sorry to be a pedant, G-Force, but you probably ought to use "fiancée" with two e's, and an accent acute on the first e, for which I'll let you off as it's a special character and a pain in the arse to insert (ooh-err!).
Not really, if you know the common windows type shortcut - ctrl + alt + E. Simple.
CrunchySaviour wrote:I must point this out as it's sometimes important to choose the right greetings card for your fiancée (female) or fiancé (male), to save embarrassment!! It's for your own good, honest!
Though that does depend on their level of knowledge regarding French Grammar. I suspect that if the average Joe on the street (or even the average well-educated bloke, that just hasn't happened to have really studed French much, or at all) got a card that said "to my Fiancée", they wouldn't instantly go off on one, accusing their partner of playing around, doing lesbian-esque activities behind their back.
CrunchySaviour wrote:I haven't done any such non-public sections of track, anyway. I'd like to, though, but it's probably not the sort of thing I'd stay on beyond my destination to do.
Heh, I wouldn't mind seeing some of these disused or non-public bits of track. On a similar note - is it still possible to access the Jubilee Line platforms at Charing Cross?
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I was more thinking of the embarrassment of going to buy one of these cards in a shop and being told by the assistant that you got the word wrong!

The Jubilee platforms at Charing Cross don't seem to me like particularly intreresting places to conduct tours and such like, as they're quite similar to those at Green Park from what I've seen.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

TheFatBuoy wrote:
CrunchySaviour wrote:Sorry to be a pedant, G-Force, but you probably ought to use "fiancée" with two e's, and an accent acute on the first e, for which I'll let you off as it's a special character and a pain in the arse to insert (ooh-err!).
Not really, if you know the common windows type shortcut - ctrl + alt + E. Simple.
Alt Gr+E.

Simpler.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Nutteronabus wrote:
TheFatBuoy wrote:
Alt Gr+E.

Simpler.
Clever.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Going (a long way) back to the original thread of discussion for this topic:

Looking at rule 7:

Code: Select all

7. The clock must start the moment the doors close on the first train taken by the challengers.

It must stop the moment the challengers set foot on the platform at the last station.
I was wondering if it is legal to start in Amersham, without getting on a train, then go by foot to Chesham, then catch the train to Watford? The clock would only start when the train out of Chesham was departing, but would Amersham count?

My guess would be that Amersham wouldn't be counted, assuming all stations have to be visited whilst the clock is running.
Last edited by Root on 06 Jul 2011, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

You missed the basic rule i GWR rules:
To 'visit' a station, the challenger must arrive and/or depart by an undeground train in normal public service...
and then they go on to explain the exception of National Rail on the same tracks.

So I'd say, for sure, you can't start by foot as you line it out.
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Exactly. You'd have to be on a train leaving or arriving at Amersham.

After all, the challenge is to visit them all BY TRAIN :-)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Haha, yes, rule 1, why didn't I think to look at that one?

I r plank.