Direct train from Chesham to Watford? I beg your pardon?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I believe the little blighter stayed on without being seen and went round in secret.

The crossovers though? How did that happen?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

I've done the jubilee line waterloo crossovers - in service!
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

PFW wrote:Some time ago I did ponder the idea of trying to cover all lines on the LU network. This would not only include the Rickmondsworth Curve, the Kennington Loop etc, but all usual lines in both directions in every combination, so every meter of publically accessable metal was covered. It became quite complex as a 'challenge', so may be a long term aim.
What is the Kennington loop?
<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sillyma ... g">Creator of the toilet map</a> New version coming soon!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Southbound Northern line trains that terminate at Kennington do so on one platform and then instead of running back out from the same platform, run round a curved tunnel known as the "loop" to re-emerge on the other platform.

Trains do not run in service round the loop so to be able to do so requires you to hide on the train when they check there's no one left on it.

Mr Force did tell me how he managed this before but I forgot. Maybe they just didn't check the train thoroughly enough before it went round the loop.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

See here:

http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/lu/ ... rthern.jpg

for a diagram of the loop and the track at Kennington.

Member of sweet FA
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

surely the kennington loop wouldn't count as being "publicly accessible" though?
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well it is if you avoid detection ...

Member of sweet FA
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

Adham wrote:Was the Kennington train in service or did you hide when told to change?
Do you still need to hide? I thought it was now legal to ride this section, providing you have a friendly word with the driver?
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

That was the case - and they were not too bothered about checking the train was empty when tipping out - rather than do it carriage by carriage they just let the driver close all the doors at once.

Have seen a number of rubish collectors take the trip round the loop.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

yeah but if you take avoiding detection into account, you would therefore have to go in and out of all the depots and sidings on every piece of track, without getting arrested. not happening!
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

My understanding is that most lines are licenced for public use, but some are not.

The lines that are only used by TfL are are not licenced, and this includes depots and sidings. The lines that are part of the standard tube journey are licenced. But there is also a grey area: some lines that are licenced for public use but are not part of official journeys.

The Kennington Loop does not form any official journey, but is licenced for public use in case there are any drunks, sleepers etc on the train when it terminates. Before it was licenced, these had to be removed from the train before it could go round the loop, but once it became licenced they could just be left alone.
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

Adham wrote:Was the Kennington train in service or did you hide when told to change?
I hid. Although the train was never tipped out anyway. Since 7/7 they seem to be tipping out again.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I can't imagine how you could possibly "hide" on a Tube carriage!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

CrunchySaviour wrote:I can't imagine how you could possibly "hide" on a Tube carriage!
Well the tipper outers at Kennington justused to check the train by walking along side the train and looking in through the windows. They tended to start at the front of the rear car, so as they walked down the train, I just planned to get back on the rear car again. In this case, there wern't any tipper outers anyway, so I just stayed on. As I mentioned, since 7/7 there seems to always be platform staff around.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

when i tried they shut all of the doors 1 carriage at a time as they checked them