New York

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
al
Zone 6

Re: New York

Post by al »

Have just traced the route out, and have to say it is very impressive! Less double backs than one might initially think are necessary, and a couple of nice long end to end rides in places. I wish I had the time and energy to do this one, but I can't see it happening!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Brighton Local
Zone 1

Post by Brighton Local »

17 May beings 24/7 service back.
Been drawing up insane number of routes,
Time for a dry run let's see what happens.
Brighton Local
Zone 1

Post by Brighton Local »

Dry run for the 472.
Not bad. Hit the wall at about the 20 hour mark. Made a couple of mistakes prior that forces revisions on the fly that made a mess of the late game.
Otherwise 26h53m under unlimited rules ( swipe in more than once) is a personal best. Think there is more room to go lower as the last six hours were a complete mess on my part.
donaldstreet
Zone 1

Post by donaldstreet »

Brighton Local wrote: 22 May 2021, 03:30 Dry run for the 472.
Not bad. Hit the wall at about the 20 hour mark. Made a couple of mistakes prior that forces revisions on the fly that made a mess of the late game.
Otherwise 26h53m under unlimited rules ( swipe in more than once) is a personal best. Think there is more room to go lower as the last six hours were a complete mess on my part.
Please excuse my ignorance, but when you say you completed a dry run do you mean that you followed your plan using apps, live maps etc without actually being on the subway? I live in Australia and have completed challenges in Sydney and Melbourne both of which can be done in 16 to 17 hours, so I am in awe of a New York challenge that takes 26 or 27 hours. I'm not sure I could keep going that long. One of many questions that come to mind is how you would manage toilet visits, given that there are so few on the subway.
Brighton Local
Zone 1

Post by Brighton Local »

Dry run in this case = about as much as I can do solo, log of Time in and out of station, pictures at interchange stations, and a start and end time. Not fully GWR (Guinness not Great Western), but that's now not possible for one person solo to do.
Brighton Local
Zone 1

Post by Brighton Local »

Out of system to get food and restroom chiefly. Certain stations lend themselves to pit stops, and if in doubt buy food, use restroom.
donaldstreet wrote: 23 May 2021, 01:59
Brighton Local wrote: 22 May 2021, 03:30 Dry run for the 472.
Please excuse my ignorance, but when you say you completed a dry run do you mean that you followed your plan using apps, live maps etc without actually being on the subway? I live in Australia and have completed challenges in Sydney and Melbourne both of which can be done in 16 to 17 hours, so I am in awe of a New York challenge that takes 26 or 27 hours. I'm not sure I could keep going that long. One of many questions that come to mind is how you would manage toilet visits, given that there are so few on the subway.
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

There is also a GWR for the New York ferry system too. Will anyone try a Ferries + Subway challenge.

I have had a brief look at the ferry system map and one of the stops is the start of the NY Subway challenge at Rockaway. It makes sense to do the shorter challenge first because you'd be exhausted after the subway equivalent
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
donaldstreet
Zone 1

Post by donaldstreet »

Good grief! I'm still trying to come to terms with the idea of 24 hours or more on the subway, the notion of adding a NY Ferries challenge onto it is out of this world.