Zone 1 2012 Attendance Register

All you need to know and discuss about the 2012 Zone 1 Challenge.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Zone 1 2012 Attendance Register

Post by Going Underground »

Myles
Glen (plus possible friend)
Kev
(Possibly David Scard + 1)
Garion
Andi (+ 1)
Håkan
Patrick
Richard
Iain
Tangy
Damian
(Possibly Andrew)
Soup Dragon (Evening only)
Peter
tractakid

Could the 6 Possiblies update please.

I have removed / added if I read the above post correctly?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Myles
Glen
Kev
(Possibly David Scard + 1)
Garion
Andi (+ 1)
Håkan
Patrick
Richard
Iain
Tangy
Damian
Peter
tractakid
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

The Raven wrote:Myles
Glen
Kev
David Scard (+ 2 rookies)
Garion
Andi (+ 1)
Håkan
Patrick
Richard
Iain
Tangy
Damian
Peter
tractakid
Hi think we should have 2 Andrews on the list, being A2(possible) and tractakid(definite)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

I'm now hoping to come along on Friday, but this is still dependent on some domestic issues being resolved which now looks more likely.

However, unless I've missed it somewhere I think it would be useful if there could be a definitive statement of the rules for this edition of the event. I realise these will largely be the same as in previous years, but in the past there has been some controversy about whether certain teams have in fact started at the correct time or on the correct train. In particular, it would be useful to recap:
- What are the possible starting stations this year?
- Should all participants aim to meet again at the chosen starting station or just make their own way to their chosen starting platform?
- Which trains can be caught from the starting station and when does the stop watch start?
- What stations have to be visited? (I assume the usual Zone 1 Underground stations only with the two Paddingtons & Edgware Roads counting separately.)
- When does the stopwatch finish? (e.g. if leaving from final station to another station already visited or outside Zone 1)
- Is there a time limit?
- What rules apply to determine the winner if line closures prevent visiting all stations on the day?
- What happens in the event of temporary station closures? (I assume a pass through is acceptable).

Sorry if this seems like overkill, but better to be clear in advance rather than have arguments later.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Nigel you are quite right and the most important rule really is that you musttake the 1st train in your chosen direction after 1pm...
This caused some controversy a few years back where a couple of teams got caught at the 1st interchange by others that had left on the same line/direction on the next train and gained a time advantage... Yes is could have worked the other way around with the teams on the first train making a better connection but it should be a level a playing field as possible once teams have decided their initial opening move....

Good news that you can hopefully get along so looking around 18-19 and may push beyond 20 on the actual day :D
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

To be precise, I think the rule is that you must take the first train going to your first interchange station. So if the starting station was Great Portland Street, and you wanted to go to Paddington, then you could wait for an H&C train. However if you were only going as far as Baker Street, you must take the first train.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

greatkingrat wrote:To be precise, I think the rule is that you must take the first train going to your first interchange station. So if the starting station was Great Portland Street, and you wanted to go to Paddington, then you could wait for an H&C train. However if you were only going as far as Baker Street, you must take the first train.
for example following the rules 2009 was won by me and garion by 17s over tangy only because he went northbound at start we went southbound we actually started 2 mins later and won because of that.and i think u have to take the first train regardless of its destination say for goodge street it has to be northbound or southbound but for gps i think if a met came in westbound i believe u have to take regardless of it not being what u want it or am i wrong
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

OK lets say Mansion House is the starter and you want to head east to one of the "Aldgate's" My understanding is that you can take either the first district line train after 1pm or the first circle line train after 1pm depending on whether you are changing at Aldgate or Aldgate East?
Last year there was no real issues as being St Pauls it was simply the first central line change in your chosen direction...

Hopefully the 2012 organiser will confirm on all points shortly :wink:
palkanetoijala31

Going Underground wrote:OK lets say Mansion House is the starter and you want to head east to one of the "Aldgate's" My understanding is that you can take either the first district line train after 1pm or the first circle line train after 1pm depending on whether you are changing at Aldgate or Aldgate East?
Last year there was no real issues as being St Pauls it was simply the first central line change in your chosen direction...

Hopefully the 2012 organiser will confirm on all points shortly :wink:
thats probably a poor example as u would take whichever one it was to east or aldgate and run to the other.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:thats probably a poor example as u would take whichever one it was to east or aldgate and run to the other.
Isn't it a good example if the departure board is like this:

1 Tower Hill - 1min
2 Upminster - 2min
3 Circe Line via Liverpool Street - 5min

In that case it wouldn't it be best to wait for the Upminster train, get off at Aldgate East and then run Aldgate
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

With thanks to Tangy, the rules for last year's challenge are here:
http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index. ... =45#p41558

I would suggest using those again, although obviously the provisos relating to Blackfriars and Tottenham Court Road no longer apply. St Paul's also needs to be be added to the list of stations excluded from the draw.

Last year's rules make it clear that you can wait for a train which goes to your chosen first interchange, but you can't wait for a particular sequence of trains to occur.

Also, although it was a straightforward start station last year, I was not convinced from my observations that all teams caught the first train in either direction after 1pm. Hence my question about whether we should aim to meet again at the chosen start station shortly before 1pm.

Last year's rules have a time limit of four hours, but are not totally clear about how to decide the winner if line closures prevent all stations being visited. Having just spent over two hours trying to get home this afternoon from Central London, due to both the Central and Jubilee lines being down, this is potentially a very real issue.

Zone 1 is normally a very enjoyable event. It would be a shame if it were tarnished this year by lack of clarity on these points.

Having volunteered to organise it this year, I assumed that Myles would want to show leadership on this, and I would not want to usurp him. However, as time is running out, please let me know if you would like me to publish in a new thread a definitive set of rules for this year's event.
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

I am very happy to follow all of the rules that were used last year.

I also think it would be a good idea for us to make our way to the starting station together as a group and then at say 12:55 people make their way to their chosen platforms.

I will say that you must take your first train that stops at your first interchange after 1pm, and not just if it is going in your direction. EG, If your plan is to take a Westbound District, but a Westbound Circle arrives at 1.01pm you can wait for the District at 1.03pm if it goes to your interchange and the Circle does not. Hope this clears this up, if not I will try and re explain myself.
The King is back! Long live The King!
palkanetoijala31

MylesHSG wrote:I am very happy to follow all of the rules that were used last year.

I also think it would be a good idea for us to make our way to the starting station together as a group and then at say 12:55 people make their way to their chosen platforms.

I will say that you must take your first train that stops at your first interchange after 1pm, and not just if it is going in your direction. EG, If your plan is to take a Westbound District, but a Westbound Circle arrives at 1.01pm you can wait for the District at 1.03pm if it goes to your interchange and the Circle does not. Hope this clears this up, if not I will try and re explain myself.
im being sarcastic obviously but if central station picked out can i wait for woodford via hainault direct train :lol:
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Yes, you can, as long as you travel on it at least as far as Grange Hill :D
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Having carefully rearranged my commitments for tomorrow to ensure I could come along, Thames Water are doing their best to mess up my plans. Unfortunately, I won't be able to leave Woodford until about 11.15am or so, which normally should be plenty of time to get to Liverpool Street for 12.00. If the Central line is still suspended (and there is no sign of it reopening yet) then I will struggle to make it in time - but I should still be able to get to any Zone 1 station by 1.00pm if I go straight there.

Could somebody please volunteer to text me the starting station once it is drawn? Let me know if you would be kind enough to do this and I will PM you my mobile number. Of course, the Central line may be fully reopen tomorrow morning, but I wouldn't bet on it. Sorry to be such a nuisance.