TUBE 38 NEW YORK NEW YORK

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
palkanetoijala31

TUBE 38 NEW YORK NEW YORK

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Well a first for me an expierance to test out the New York system with Adham although i suffered a strained muscle so ended up supporting instead for his proper attempt!but then did a slow completion the next day Amercia is a weird place lots of beggars and drunks on trains but probably much better layouts of stations.

Adham route started at the what is presumably the normal starting place i decided to reverse this route as i thought more managable and the fact i couldnt run as laden down with bags although i didnt complete that day or next i did do all stations within that week.So Pelham Bay Park it was and a lengthy ride down the 6 until 125st switching to uptown and 5 line to Eastchester Dyre Av (some dodgy characters there always asking you for your ticket).

A Long walk amongst some lovely suburban houses whichever way u go and a Mcdonalds right before u get to the station at Wakefield 241st returning back down to 149st where a short corridor free transfer run takes u onto the 4 line and up to Woodlawn.

Returning to Mosholu Parkway and what can be classed as a Harrow run i found a better entrance to Norwood 205st on 206st The entrances are about a quarter of a mile apart so you have to know the best exit and entrance for way u want to go not what they want u to?

Returning to the Yankee Stadium fine and impressive it is i walked across the bridge into harlem 148st this isnt as bad area as i have heard about even has a dominos pizza nearby.Shortly after got out at the top of Central Park N 110st and basically cut through some housing estates to rejoin the 6 line at 116st.

Going down to 42st Grand central which is a site to see and a must for all train spotter taking the shuttle the rare but frequent timed to Times square u have to take it via the rules and then back on a new line the 7 to Court Square my recollections of the route become more fuzzy here as i cant remember it exactly.

Surfice to say it was an great expierance to go and i think that record is achievable it would suit a team more than an individual and support isnt really helpful unless for food and drink!.
Iain
All Zones

Re: TUBE 38 NEW YORK NEW YORK

Post by Iain »

Took me a second to realise you were talking about Street rather than stone, for a second I thought you must have eaten a lot of McDonald's to go up from 125 to 241 stone!
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I think you have to start at one of the Rockaways (the Amersham/Chesham of New York!). If you tried to finish there it wouldn't count as the Aqueduct Racetrack station only operates in the Manhattan bound direction.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

greatkingrat wrote:I think you have to start at one of the Rockaways (the Amersham/Chesham of New York!). If you tried to finish there it wouldn't count as the Aqueduct Racetrack station only operates in the Manhattan bound direction.
Ah but u can still finish there as i was going to run into the station and double back to rockaway bvld.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

surely this should be called 'SUBWAY 1'. :-)
palkanetoijala31

geofftech wrote:surely this should be called 'SUBWAY 1'. :-)
true in a way it should.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The big difference between the London record and the New York record is that in NY they count interchanges as multiple stations. So by NY rules, Kings Cross would be counted as 4 stations (Northern, Picc, Vic, subsurface). This also means you have to be very careful when route planning as it is easy to inadvertently miss a station out.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

greatkingrat wrote:The big difference between the London record and the New York record is that in NY they count interchanges as multiple stations. So by NY rules, Kings Cross would be counted as 4 stations (Northern, Picc, Vic, subsurface). This also means you have to be very careful when route planning as it is easy to inadvertently miss a station out.
Thats why u have to do the shuttle between Grand Central and Times square its like Bank and Waterloo both served by many lines and most people dont use W&C in a full network.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

New York doesn't look much fun... not as much character as the tube. From what I've seen, its all bland. Stations are all numbers, as are the lines. No roundels. For the challenge, most people attempt it without leaving the network? If I ever visited the US, I wouldn't want to do this. Id ride on the network , but not like I'd ride the Tube.

Of course, this is biased, and highly prejudiced, but am I at all right?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

tractakid wrote:New York doesn't look much fun... not as much character as the tube. From what I've seen, its all bland. Stations are all numbers, as are the lines. No roundels. For the challenge, most people attempt it without leaving the network? If I ever visited the US, I wouldn't want to do this. Id ride on the network , but not like I'd ride the Tube.

Of course, this is biased, and highly prejudiced, but am I at all right?
yes there are no Roundels and the stations are not as picturesque its defo more of a challenge though as u train can become a different line even without u noticing u have to be alert 24/7 and u have to go through the night at some point which despite people think its scary its really not!.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

As I understand it, if you did it without exiting the system, you'd do a fair few double backs wasting time. I know Andi spent time scouting out runs so I presume this was the method used. I seem to recall some of the regular subway riders believed that you should do it all on one ticket (so without exiting the system), but it's not the Guinness rules.

If that's wrong someone who knows more please correct me!
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
palkanetoijala31

Iain wrote:As I understand it, if you did it without exiting the system, you'd do a fair few double backs wasting time. I know Andi spent time scouting out runs so I presume this was the method used. I seem to recall some of the regular subway riders believed that you should do it all on one ticket (so without exiting the system), but it's not the Guinness rules.

If that's wrong someone who knows more please correct me!
the record for not exiting the system is around the 26 hours mark (we did the the exiting the system route and had quite a few runs some are actually much shorter than most in london President st to Nostrand springs to mind)

If there is any interest im planning a return trip November to April next year (only time you can do Racetrack but maybe not for much longer)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The Tube would surely be impossible not exiting the system!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

tractakid wrote:The Tube would surely be impossible not exiting the system!
Why is that they dont close like London it is 24/7
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

You could do London without exiting the system. It woudlnt get you a record time but would be possible. New Years Eve springs to mind.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.