GMT/BST time setting - how to make the forum display BST

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
tubeguru
Site Administrator

GMT/BST time setting - how to make the forum display BST

Post by tubeguru »

Following a post by Garion asking if the forum clock was broken, the forum clock is fine. The forum's settings specify that the time will be displayed in BST, but this will ONLY happen if the user has their personal settings set to display the time in BST.

So, in order for this to happen EVERY user has to click on "User Control Panel" (top-left of screen, below the forum graphic) -> "Board Preferences" and then click the YES radio box next to "Summer Time/DST is in effect".

If you don't have this set to YES, then you will never see the time in BST. Having said that, I'm sure that if Chris knows of another way of forcing the forum to display the time in BST regardless of this setting he will let us know. But I don't think there is any other way.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
moley
Site Administrator

Re: GMT/BST time setting - how to make the forum display BST

Post by moley »

Neil is right. We can only globally change what guests / those not logged in see.

The reason for this is that not everyone's clock changes. I've been in Timezone UTC+8 for the last 11 days and our clocks have not changed. So while you people on UTC+0 should be 8 hours behind, you are now only 7 hours because BST is in effect.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.