The Tube - episode 3

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
snudge27
All Zones

The Tube - episode 3

Post by snudge27 »

A strange observation here...

All signs bearing station names at the stations which had one-unders occur at them were blurred out. Any ideas why?
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Re: The Tube - episode 3

Post by hopeful traveller »

uefacup81 wrote:A strange observation here...

All signs bearing station names at the stations which had one-unders occur at them were blurred out. Any ideas why?
No prizes for guessing the one on the Victoria Line!
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

I liked the driving style of the picc driver who lent on the dead-mans handle then used his other hand to move the controller.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Last edited by geofftech on 07 May 2019, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Wasn't hard to spot was it!

Tim Pinn (Warwick Av guy) was trending on twitter earlier

The idea of each line having a personality (Picc line guy) was a bit weird :shock:
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Iain wrote:The idea of each line having a personality (Picc line guy) was a bit weird :shock:
Driving trains obviously turns your head.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Iain wrote:The idea of each line having a personality (Picc line guy) was a bit weird :shock:
Driving trains obviously turns your head.

Member of sweet FA
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

I assume they blurred the station name to help protect the identity of the "one unders".

I loved the guy at Warwick Avenue, I'm going to start following him on twitter.
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

he's not on Twitter, but he does have a Facebook fan page where you can 'Like' him at ...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/We-love- ... 6205445872
hakc97
Zone 1

Post by hakc97 »

What about the guy at Notting Hill Gate who was in the mood for music? The last time I went to the carnival there were no Underground enthusiasts
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Watched it back again this morning, and with my Production hat on:

- there's a definite drop in quality of some of the shots at the Euston incident early on. it's as if they got the call that there'd been an incident and the first guy there was using a lesser camera then when his colleagues caught up with him

- the look on the face of the passengers at the top of the escalators, i'm surprised they didn't get a quote from a staff member .. "They're all just about to complain about yet another delay on the tube, but when they hear it's because of a suicide they have this look on on their face as if to say 'oh that's alright then'". i wonder how many times the staff told passengers that day that there was a person under the train.

- what is the one under rate. about one a week? all suicides? shame there was no stats or figures on that, or a quote from someone about if the rate had stayed the same, or gone up during the last year with these austere times and perhaps more people out of work, on the breadline and depressed? i wanted a bit of background on that.

- would love to know how the ER guys get recruited/get their jobs. have they moved from the police or ex-forces at all? do they know they're going to be picking up dead bodies from tracks? Was discussing it at home here with my other half, who really wanted to be forensic scientist, studying dead bodies to find out the reasons behind death. and we realised that even though a dead person is just a dead person, there's a world of difference between one that's a mess on a track in bits, and one that's been cleaned up nicely and laid out in the mortuary all ready for inspection... ~shudder~

- they didn't mention how if driver's get two one-unders in their career, they get the offer to be paid off, or something... don't they? am glad the driver from last night didn't seem affected by it.

gosh. how morbid, but utterly fascinating to see.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

geofftech wrote:- what is the one under rate. about one a week? all suicides? shame there was no stats or figures on that, or a quote from someone about if the rate had stayed the same, or gone up during the last year with these austere times and perhaps more people out of work, on the breadline and depressed? i wanted a bit of background on that.
The rates can't have gone up, because that would lead to delays and cancellations, and as we all know from hopeful traveller's informative, extensively cited statistics, the tube has actually been improving over the last few years.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

geofftech wrote:They didn't mention how if driver's get two one-unders in their career, they get the offer to be paid off, or something... don't they? am glad the driver from last night didn't seem affected by it.
Direct quote from my wife's best friend, who is a Northern line driver - "nah, that's rubbish".

There is no such thing as "three and out" (remember that shit film?) It's a myth.

Member of sweet FA
hakc97
Zone 1

Post by hakc97 »

Neil have you ever had any people jump under your train?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hakc97 wrote:Neil have you ever had any people jump under your train?
Not yet, and I suspect that if I did, the speed would more than likely do the job ...

Member of sweet FA