New Tube Challenge: Zones 1-4

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
goateez
Zone 1

New Tube Challenge: Zones 1-4

Post by goateez »

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to this group...but I've been in touch with geofftech.

I'm doing a new tube challenge - for charity! And I'm posting details here to:
- get some sponsors
- get some publicity for our event, and
- get some tips on how on earth to do it!!

Me and a partner in crime are aiming to do Zones 1-4 in 12 hours...is this possible?

I'm doing it as part of a sponsored event my community organisation is doing...you can find out about our community organisation at: http://www.ylgs.org.uk

The money raised from this sponsored event will be donated to El Shaddai Orphanages - which run orphanages in Goa, India.

We're doing our event on Sat April 2nd...check my profile for more details on how to get in touch.

Thanks!

J.
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

hello goateez! welcome to the community of the Underground people! Sounds great what your doing - any tube event in the name of charity gets my vote! i dont wanna put a damp tube map on it all but....

i noticed your doing zones 1-4 on a saturday... well Cannon Street is closed on a Saturday, as is Shoreditch. This means that even though you can pass through Cannon Street it would not "count" under world record rules, Shoreditch however would not be accessible in anyway shape or form. The LU are also very keen to do engineering works at weekends so you may wanna bare that in mind.

If you want anymore help then do not hesitate to drop me an email and i'll be glad to help.

Pete
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

A Saturday? In this day and age?

To give you some idea of how bad it will be, if you were doing it tomorrow you would not be able to visit the following:

All of the circle line
District line between Earl's Court and Whitechapel
Queen's Park to Kenton on the Bakerloo
Nothing north of Neasden on the Jubilee
Bank branch of the Northern line between Camden Town and Kennington
Aldgate and Harrow on the Hill on the Metropolitan

It's just ridiculous. Do it on a weekday and all of the above will be open.
goateez
Zone 1

Hmm...

Post by goateez »

...I see your points gentlemen...

I do have a contact who works with london underground...

I'll discuss it with my partner in crime...

J.
yayrabies

Post by yayrabies »

12 hours? It probably can be done with a lot of careful planning.
You are skipping out the Chesham route. Take off a hour
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I have come up with a route for zones 1-4, starting at Hounslow Central and finishing at Burnt Oak. This takes 13hr 25min. Although I think it could be done in under 13hrs, I think under 12hrs is impossible.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

i managed to make one that'd take around 13 hours, probably less on a good day, starting at wanstead and finishing at hounslow central.
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
goateez
Zone 1

Good Stuff!

Post by goateez »

Here...I'd be interested in the route greatkingrat...

A weekday is going to be impractical for our purposes.

We're not aiming to be in the Guiness Book (not for this anyway :wink: ), we wanna raise money, and have a good time doing something a little different.

So I'm adding to my proposal. It'll be as many of the officially opened stations in zones 1-4. If we know of any anticipated engineering works, we'll have to miss off those stations.

Any delays and stuff would add to the spice of the event...

13 hrs Zeibura? Hmm...it may be worth a shot, and seeing how far we get in 12 hrs...or maybe extending it to 13 hrs just for the hell of it...hehehe...We wouldn't be going for a sub 12hr time greatkingrat, just getting through as many as possible...

How do you plan your routes or is that a trade secret?

J.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Well as I have no intention of doing this myself - my route is:

Hounslow Central - Hammersmith - Edgware Road - High Street Kensington - Kensington (Olympia) - Earl's Court - Wimbledon - run to South Wimbledon - Morden - Kennington - Stockwell - Brixton - Victoria - Sloane Square - Aldgate - run to Aldgate East - Whitechapel - Shoreditch - New Cross - run to New Cross Gate - Whitechapel - Upney - West Ham - Southwark - London Bridge - Elephant & Castle - Kenton - run to Northwick Park - Wembley Park - Queensbury - Baker Street - Moorgate - Mill Hill East - Finchley Central - Totteridge & Whetstone - 125 bus to Southgate - Earl's Court - Richmond - Turnham Green - Ealing Broadway - West Acton - run to North Ealing - Sudbury Hill - run or 92 bus to Greenford - Newbury Park - Leytonstone - Woodford - Leyton - 69 or 97 bus to Walthamstow Central - Warren Street - Goodge Street - Burnt Oak.
tc
Zone 2

Post by tc »

Sorry for digging this up, but here is your engineering work for the 2nd April 2005:

02-Apr-05 03-Apr-05 Jubilee Harrow on the Hill to Aldgate / Kingsbury to Neasden Harrow on the Hill to Willesden Green (fast) / Harrow on the Hill to Willesden Green (all stations ) / Kingsbury to Neasden (all stations)
02-Apr-05 03-Apr-05 Metropolitan Harrow on the Hill to Aldgate / Kingsbury to Neasden Harrow on the Hill to Willesden Green (fast) / Harrow on the Hill to Willesden Green (all stations ) / Kingsbury to Neasden (all stations)
02-Apr-05 03-Apr-05 Waterloo & City Waterloo to Bank None
02-Apr-05 03-Apr-05 Central West Ruislip to North Acton to be confirmed