Geoff's Tube 18 - 13th February 2012

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
geofftech
All Zones

Re: 13th February 2012

Post by geofftech »

tourist lady had bags, and the real City/Victoria train was just 2 mins behind. (which was obviously signed as an Edgware Road service). confused tourists just want to get on one train that will take them all the way there, no changing involved!

Stevooooo. (how many O's are in your name?). C'mon ... i'm struggling to get a %age out of you here! How many times has the system exploded in your face like a baby who's eaten liquroice and has diarrhoea.

i have no idea why i've gone with that analogy btw.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

geofftech wrote:tourist lady had bags, and the real City/Victoria train was just 2 mins behind. (which was obviously signed as an Edgware Road service). confused tourists just want to get on one train that will take them all the way there, no changing involved!

Stevooooo. (how many O's are in your name?). C'mon ... i'm struggling to get a %age out of you here! How many times has the system exploded in your face like a baby who's eaten liquroice and has diarrhoea.

i have no idea why i've gone with that analogy btw.
i think u have to ask him that question over a few beers cos thats where if his attempts fail usually end up in!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

geofftech wrote: Stevooooo. (how many O's are in your name?). C'mon ... i'm struggling to get a %age out of you here! How many times has the system exploded in your face like a baby who's eaten liquroice and has diarrhoea.
3 e's and 3 o's :) I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to give you %ages of data that I don't actually know the definitive results of, but if it keeps you happy I'll make up some %ages... 33% GWR success rate, 33% complete system **** up rate, 33% minor isolated incident rate. The first % is with a 100% degree of confidence, the other 2 %ages with a degree of confidence that would be on a par of you asking me how many people in the London Borough of Brent had brown rice with their dinner last night.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

just hoping that i could prod you into some sort of more definitive stat, than the 33% out of those 9.

i'm getting a feeling at the moment though that the figure is somewhere around 50%. i.e. half of the times that people do attempts they'll run into a day of severe delays and get screwed over.

i don't see why the tube can't run a perfectly timetabled service. as it's there already in the WTT, and there's a clue in the name 'Working' - i.e. it's completely workable, all they have to do is adhere to it.

instead my feeling is that TfL are going the other way - have you seen the new dumbed-down DLR timtables? ironically on a train service there that really does run a more perfect-to-the-minute service more than any other. that's progress... not!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

I sort of get the impression that it all falls down together... the day after your attempt was fine (or near enough).
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Last edited by geofftech on 08 May 2019, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

What are the dumbed-down DLR timetables?

Are the stats compiled to reflect trains run, or journeys made? If the former, this would value an on-time train at midnight just as highly as an on-time rush-hour train. Is this right? Discuss.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Wasn't the Picc line problem on the 16th? I remember looking at that status update all day worrying if it would affect my start from Heathrow.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

the DLR timetables now say "Trains run every 10 minute". Rather than before saying that they were at X minutes past the hour. Even though the timetable hasn't changed, and they still (say) run at X minutes past the hour. It's as if TfL think we can't cope with specific to-the-minute scheduling and they just want us to turn up on spec, knowing we've got a "metro style" service running every Y minutes...

Found out yesterday that the New York subway and Chicago L run to-the-minute services, and they advertise it, and people rely on it. Here we seem to be going the other way.

Still, Blackfriars looks nice and shiny. Well done TfL, carry on.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

But that's just it. For example, Uxbridge trains from Hammersmith only go every twenty minutes - that is NOT a Metro-style frequency!
hakc97
Zone 1

Good luck for your next try

Post by hakc97 »

When are you next trying again. And yes it was bad.