Zone 1 2012 - Friday 8th June

All you need to know and discuss about the 2012 Zone 1 Challenge.
Starkey7
All Zones

Re: Zone 1 2012

Post by Starkey7 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:...he is young and needs some seasoning probably pepper but...
:lol:
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

Ah, just seen that Andi, very sharp my friend. :P

Touch of nutmeg wouldn't go amiss, though im goona stop taking my cooking advice from Antony Worral Thomson as every resipe seems to be cheese or wine based :mrgreen:
The King is back! Long live The King!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

palkanetoijala31 wrote: would the last tube challenger please turn off the lights before they leave :lol:
You asked for it!
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

MylesHSG wrote:... im goona stop taking my cooking advice from Antony Worral Thomson
I wouldn't take your shopping payment advice from him either ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I thought i relay some not new but useful tips for zone 1 newcomers

1. Get loads of those free maps when the starting station has been drawn out and starting drawing.
2. If you can partner up with someone best to as then u can double up ideas and strategies and its fun to get to know people.
3. Paddington H&c is better to arrive than depart but obviously it depends on your route.
4. There are several well known runs out there that help Goodge street - Russell Sq Knightsbridge-Sloane Sq SouthWark-Borough to name a few some easier than others.
5. Aldgate or Aldgate East (unless one of these is picked as starting station chances are you likely to do this run which ever way u do remember the electronic boards approaching the station might give u a clue on how fast or non fast u have to run)
6. If u arrive early why not scout ur door positions most likely to need before turning up!
7. Buses can help i have only ever taken one i think in zone 1 ask tangy the busguru.
8. We all like to win but cant always taking part is the name of the game ask Going Underground still yet to break zone 1 duck.
9. Myles is the organiser and what he decides goes even though i like to hit him with a shovel sometimes :lol:
10. Their will be a social gathering afterwards at place TBA where they will be a quiz and darts probably dont worry if u crap at Darts if u lucky enough to get Paired with either Going Underground myself oy Ryan Brown chances are u do well in that round.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Very good Andi some useful stuff there.......... :)

Can't wait for the day now 8)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

GU, have you gone below three hours?
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Starkey7 wrote:GU, have you gone below three hours?
he was so close last year
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
Starkey7 wrote:GU, have you gone below three hours?
he was so close last year
Only the time I forgot to visit TCR a few years back :lol:

Last years Z1 was 3hrs 11seconds I think from memory
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Yep we wrer so close I believe it was 3h 11secs.
Including the goodge street run.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

geofftech wrote:nor was there a 'BERC' (whatever the hell that still is)
It is something that SD came up with - the Bernie Ecclestone of the Random 15 Championship. It has since been abused.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

uefacup81 wrote:Just a thought...

Did anyone actually bother to ask Tangy whether he thought it was 'unfair' for him to organise this year's Z1, or have you just gone and made the assumption? Perhaps he actually enjoys organising them and was looking forward to doing it?
I have been thinking long and hard over this reply as I don't want to add more fuel to this already tarred thread or feel that I have hurt someones feelings but James is right I was not consulted over the planning of this years' Z1 challenge first I heard of events was when it was posted up on here!

It has been tradition for the winner of last years event to organise the next but it appears this has fallen into disuse since I took the reins over (at late notice) in 2010. I feel that the regular events need a regular person in charge (e.g until very recently Soup Dragon as the BERC with R15 challenges). This way everyone knows who to contact with regards to future events and know the procedures for each of the challenges.

I have had numerous messages of compliment from the past two events about the level of organisation that me and Roger put in to make the day an enjoyable one for all of us. Now surely this is what the Zone 1 challenge is all about?!

Whilst the basics of organising a Zone One challenge are virtually all in place (time, date, etc.), what isn't readily visible is the level of backstage work that goes into say priniting the certificates or the "team entry cards" etc. as those who have attended my two past events will know. I still have my "zone 1" kit stored away ready to be used again straightaway. I do actaully enjoy leading these events as I am (as people who know me personally) very organised, like to get things right and very much a leader. When everyone leaves the event after a good afternoon/evening it gives me a real sense of achievement and pride, plus it is the total opposite of my usual self as I tend to be a bit of a loner and shy away from large crowds of people (people who know me personally will understand).

Anyway, it is commendable that Myles has stepped up to be BOZO of Z1 2012 and unless he wishes to, I will not take that away from him for this event. I have already spoken to Roger and we are both very happy to assist in the organising of this years event in conjunction with Myles plus we will both be in attendance on the day, with me taking part in the challenge as normal.

Just a few of my thoughts.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Hear hear
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

What Starkey said... I am sure that Myles will do a marvelous job and appreciate any help that you and Roger can lend....
Looking forward to you two returning to the helm in 2013 :P