DLR Extension (+Pics)

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
zeibura
Zone 5

DLR Extension (+Pics)

Post by zeibura »

went out there last weekend as i was out and had time to kill. some of the views of the thames barrier and stuff from the windows were pretty good, well timed with that "take pictures from trains in london" competition thats just been launched.

dunno if these are of any interest to anyone here, but these were taken at king george V station. you get a nice head on of canary wharf as the line disappears:

ImageImageImage

anyways, i did have a question - whats the deal with woolwich arsenal being displayed on all the maps as the end of the line? are they going to extend it further or what, cos i saw no evidence of a bridge being built over the river, and that'd have to be a pretty sturdy bridge, so it'd take time...
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

They are going to extend it. I would have thought it would be a tunnel as a new bridge would be a massive project.

King George V is just the first stage!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
The JLE
Zone 1

Post by The JLE »

Just something I made last week.... Killing the time.

Zeibura take a look at this :wink: http://developments.dlr.co.uk/images/dev_map.gif
Building Amsterdams first TUBE???.... HELP my city is sinking...

I am the voice you hear on the stations controled by Amsterdam's signalling centre... Working at the signalling centre is wonderfull....
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

There will be a tunnel to Woolwich Arsenal. Construction has recently started on this extension.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

aaah right, so will the woolwich DLR station be underground?

and cheers for the link JLE, though its interesting that theyre extending it from canning town to stratford when the jubilee line already does that...
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

If that map is at all accurate, it could be possible that the track will rise out of the ground again having crossed the Thames, as there seems ot be enough room for it.

Whether or not it would be as cost-effective as digging an underground chamber for a station, I don't know...
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

Zeibura wrote: and cheers for the link JLE, though its interesting that theyre extending it from canning town to stratford when the jubilee line already does that...
The DLR will take over the North London Line tracks between Stratford and Canning Town. However, extra stations will be added where the line parallels the Jubilee Line to provide a more frequent "tram like" service to that community. The Line will also serve Stratford International station, and provide a useful link during the Olympics between the Olympic site and Excel exhibition centre.
CrunchySaviour wrote:If that map is at all accurate, it could be possible that the track will rise out of the ground again having crossed the Thames, as there seems ot be enough room for it.

Whether or not it would be as cost-effective as digging an underground chamber for a station, I don't know...
The station at Woolwich Arsenal will be a cut and cover station, (with a bit less of the cover).

Whilst on the subject of the DLR, I have a few photos of the DLR extension, as well as photos of a 7-car Jubilee 96TS test train in my Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenk1977/sets/1617237/