St. James's Park / St. James' Park

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
Steeevooo
All Zones

St. James's Park / St. James' Park

Post by Steeevooo »

I know that this has been debated many times before about which is the correct version, but as I was travelling through this station a while ago, I noticed that all of the roundels indicated that the station name is "St. James's Park", as appears on all maps etc, apart from one roundel which looked distinctly older that the other ones, that proclaimed that the station name is actualy St. James' Park. Was the station once called St. James' Park, or what?
Just an observation that I had made that I had been meaning to post for a while really...
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

in correct english it is st. james's park. the s' is a suffix only for plural genitive nouns, not, as a lot of people think, all nouns ending in S. there is only one st. james here. so its singular. james's. if it were mr. and mrs. james' park, then yes it would have no final S.

if the roundels did once say james', then they probably realised that it was incorrect and changed it. i'm sure very few people would actually be pedantic enough to comment on it initially.
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají